Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Parts compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 06:28 AM
Squid

BrianOutlaw is on a distinguished road
Parts compatibility?

Ok so I understand that the sc36 and the rc51 are two completely different animals as the sc36 is a touring bike and the rc51 is a race ready street bike. My question is are any parts compatible without any major modifications? I recently acquired a 2001 sc36 that I would like to set up to take to the track but I know a stock sc36 ain't gonna perform well enough to be competitive.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:41 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BrianOutlaw
Ok so I understand that the sc36 and the rc51 are two completely different animals as the sc36 is a touring bike and the rc51 is a race ready street bike. My question is are any parts compatible without any major modifications? I recently acquired a 2001 sc36 that I would like to set up to take to the track but I know a stock sc36 ain't gonna perform well enough to be competitive.
Bottom line up front, No, nothing is readily swap able other than perhaps grips. Or an entire front end from an RC51 SP1 to the other bike which brings me to the next point.

No market or group large or small I have ever seen refers to the VTR1000F as a SC36. Known worldwide as the Firestorm, in the USA it was marketed as the SuperHawk

So calling it the SC36 may very will confuse folks or limit responses as the reader dos not know what bike you are asking about
Old 12-20-2019, 09:07 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
It's not a touring bike, either, but oh well.
I never even knew about the sc36 designation.
VTR1000F, Super Hawk or Firestorm.

Last edited by killer5280; 12-20-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Squid

BrianOutlaw is on a distinguished road
I should have been more specific I guess rc36 is the frame designation and it's not a touring bike you are correct it is a sport touring bike
Old 12-20-2019, 12:13 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
To me it's just a sportbike, not a race replica nor a sport touring bike. The riding position is too sporty for sport touring (to me, but I'm an old fart now) and the range sucks.
A good, fun all around v-twin sportbike.

Unfortunately, almost no parts will interchange with the RC51.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:57 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by BrianOutlaw
I should have been more specific I guess rc36 is the frame designation and it's not a touring bike you are correct it is a sport touring bike
Id be surprised if 1 in 100 knew what you were talking about if you said you were looking to buy a RC36 frame

Anyway hope you got your question answered.

Oh wait...I remember something else, RC51 valve shim buckets can be used on a VTR head
Old 12-24-2019, 09:35 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Ok I know all this terminology like SUV and crossover and non-binary gets to be a bit much these days. Certainly not a touring or sport-touring bike though. Per Honda it was a "sporting streetbike" or what I would call a "supersport" (not to be confused with the 600cc or 750cc race classes) as it was modeled after the Ducati 900SS (obviously with liquid cooling and bit more horsepower). And it probably depends a lot on who and what you're competing against. Same would go for an RC51 which I'd imagine is also a dinosaur these days once you start competing against more modern stuff. If you're having fun doing track days I'm sure a few basic mods will be more than enough to have a fun reliable bike that also won't cost you an arm and a leg and depending on how good you are can still bruise a few egos.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:24 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Wheels and tires are roughly the same size...
Old 12-27-2019, 08:03 AM
Back Marker

fabiostar is on a distinguished road
valve caps fit?? otherwise different animal
Old 01-01-2020, 07:05 PM
Squid

John Orchard is on a distinguished road
I am halfway through fitting an RC51 gearbox in the Firestorm (I hate the low first gear in the Firestorm), looks like it will drop in, only issue I can see so far, the mainshaft is 3mm longer on the clutch end, I have both gearboxes on the bench. I just received an RC51 clutch (to take up the extra 3mm) but the primary drive ratio is different, I may have to get a new gear made for the crankshaft, or just run a washer/spacer with the Firestorm clutch.

I haven't tried fitting it into the bike yet (engine still together) ....... stay tuned :-)
Old 01-05-2020, 10:32 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
It can be many things

Which is why we "love" it.

Personally, I converted (modified) my 98 fastest color (red) into a passable sport touring thing with a comfy saddle, much higher and a bit more rearward bars with a fair amount more sweep, lower and a skosh more forward pegs, LED everything, mosfet VRR, driving lights, heated grips, triple USB power ports + cigarette lighter power socket, NEP throttle lock and custom Cramp Buster, and most importantly among other things, a 5.2 gallon fuel tank ( and carb calibration that provides 40+ mpg when I stay out of the throttle).

Now you can go the other way, as others have also indicated, and form it into a really fun, dependable and relatively fast track bike (the pilot determines how fast to a significant extent) if not a race bike.

​​
​​​​​

Last edited by skokievtr; 01-09-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:26 PM
Superstock

I know a "guy" who had the slower Red one. No longer has the bike, but has a Red enlarged tank for sale. I think the tank was built by FrameCrafters. Not sure what he wants for it, but willing to get info for anyone interested.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:33 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by YMRacing
I know a "guy" who had the slower Red one. No longer has the bike, but has a Red enlarged tank for sale. I think the tank was built by FrameCrafters. Not sure what he wants for it, but willing to get info for anyone interested.
Please ask, worst that can happen is I throw up a little and move on
Old 01-05-2020, 03:48 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Please ask, worst that can happen is I throw up a little and move on
Before you "throw up and little" might I suggest that you take a look at Performance Motorcycle Fabricators
Old 01-05-2020, 03:56 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by YMRacing
Before you "throw up and little" might I suggest that you take a look at Performance Motorcycle Fabricators
No you took that the wrong way....
Throw up from sticker shock, not craftsmanship. craftsmanship which I understand costs money ....I dont have ..
Old 01-05-2020, 04:18 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
No you took that the wrong way....
Throw up from sticker shock, not craftsmanship. craftsmanship which I understand costs money ....I dont have ..
Yes, I did take it the wrong way. Sorry and thanks for your explanation.

Contact "Big" Bob Burns.

bobburns753@gmail.com

He's currently in Ecuador so pics won't be available until next weekend he says.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:54 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
YMR, I'm interested in the enlarged tank. I've currently got a 19L on my '98 and the way It's geared and my right wrist is built, I get 120mi. before the YLOD comes on and then it's 22.6mi. until I'm pushing. LOL
Old 01-09-2020, 09:05 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CaryDG
YMR, I'm interested in the enlarged tank. I've currently got a 19L on my '98 and the way It's geared and my right wrist is built, I get 120mi. before the YLOD comes on and then it's 22.6mi. until I'm pushing. LOL
Is that the Euro spec tank with the remote petcock?
Old 01-09-2020, 11:01 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Skokie, Yes it is. That's where part of the increased volume comes from. The area where the 16L petcock is located is dropped down about 17mm. It definitely makes tilting the tank up (ala Suzuki SV) easier. The only caveat is that I had to put a checked quick disconnect on the fuel line to make tank removal easier with fuel in the tank.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:59 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by CaryDG
See previous post to contact Bob Burns.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:38 PM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
+1-- RC51 Lifters work and are much lighter.
RC Flywheel is lighter and does work.
Transmission gears are swappable.

After that everything is different and I know this because I measured and compared every part out of pure curiosity.

Best bet is to get your cams reground to the spec I used from Web Cams, buy or make a lightened flywheel. Use RC lifters and change your gearing. With that and some dedicated track tires/brakes/suspension mods it will haul serious butt.

AV
Old 02-18-2020, 08:25 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by ACE VenTRa
What is your charging voltage at idle and at 3, 5, 6k?
Any idea what the max wattage output is using that flywheel?
Old 02-25-2020, 06:45 PM
Squid

rktdoc is on a distinguished road

After that everything is different and I know this because I measured and compared every part out of pure curiosity.

Best bet is to get your cams reground to the spec I used from Web Cams, buy or make a lightened flywheel. Use RC lifters and change your gearing. With that and some dedicated track tires/brakes/suspension mods it will haul serious butt.

AV
I have been looking last two hours trying find the weight of a stock RVT flywheel compared to the superhawk. But can't find it at all. Did you weight them? What about the reluctor teeth on the rc flywheel?
I also noticed the starter gear is cut with windows in the rc51. Did you happen check if they can be interchanged also?
Edit on that. I found the Rc51 uses a torque limiter in the starter drive, wholes the Superhawk is done through the driven gear.
Curious about flywheel interchange though, if will actually fit and how much lighter it is.

Last edited by rktdoc; 02-25-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:56 AM
Squid

I just fitted an RC51 gearbox & stator flywheel to my VTR1000F, l had to make a 3mm spacer to go under the clutch hub nut and grind 1mm of the clutch end of the maishaft. The flywheel went straight on, l left the ignition pick-ups on (the VTR-F has its ignition pick-ups on the other side of the engine), the VTR-F stator weighs 3 kgs, the VTR-R weighs 2 kgs.

l only just finished the job, 1 day to strip down, 1 day to reassemble, will test ride tomorrow to let you know how it goes.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:15 PM
SuperSport

Nope, don't care. It charges at over 13.5 so I don't complain. Not an issue.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:19 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by rktdoc
I have been looking last two hours trying find the weight of a stock RVT flywheel compared to the superhawk. But can't find it at all. Did you weight them? What about the reluctor teeth on the rc flywheel?
I also noticed the starter gear is cut with windows in the rc51. Did you happen check if they can be interchanged also?
Edit on that. I found the Rc51 uses a torque limiter in the starter drive, wholes the Superhawk is done through the driven gear.
Curious about flywheel interchange though, if will actually fit and how much lighter it is.
The stock RC51 flywheel is about 5 lbs. The stock SH is about 8. The reluctor may fit but I cut it off on the lathe. FYI...If you try to lighten the RC flywheel you only have .050" after you cut off the the teeth. Using the RC starter gear presents a backspacing issue that I haven't bothered to sort out yet. I have one sitting on my bench if you want to check it out. Also, there are numerous cheap RC flywheels on ebay, I would buy one complete setup and go from there.

AV
Old 03-06-2020, 06:25 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

AV
what is the weight difference on the lifters?

please and thank you
Old 03-06-2020, 11:21 PM
Squid

Wow, bloody fantastic with RC51 gearbox & stator, l was running 15/43, might go to 15/44 now.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:13 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by John Orchard
Wow, bloody fantastic with RC51 gearbox & stator, l was running 15/43, might go to 15/44 now.
What a coincidence, I just started assembling motor#2 and I'm usin an RC trans.

Also, if anyone is interested the RC lifters are 7 grams lighter each. That's 56 grams of reciprocating mass off the valve train overall. I'm running them now and it is a very rev happy, smooth engine with a bunch of power upstairs.

AV