Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

pads, no swaps, street, soft bite, low rotor wear = galfers?

Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
pads, no swaps, street, soft bite, low rotor wear = galfers?

hey guys, been searching around for suggestions for brake pads for the front with not much luck. these stockers are killing me having ridden my rc51 brakes and now my 07 600rr brakes (radial mount and radial pumps anyone?). stock superhawk pads are HORRIBLE.

anyways, they're about due. i have experience with galfer 1054s on my rc51 and like them lots. warm up quite quickly, however they do tend to fade out slightly on hot hot hot days at the track coming down a back or front straight.

for the superhawk, i have different requirements: pretty much street only, mainly commuting and possibly touring. so far, seems that the ebc hh pads get all the love, but have heard from other BBS' that they tend to eat rotors. i do NOT want that.

i prefer a light initial bite, but could live with a hard bite. probably should stick with a light bite on the superhawk though--stock fork springs. from what i can tell the ebc hh's are hard bite.

lastly, price. im not by any means going to do a caliper or pump swap at this point--not worth it for me. pads i can do galfers for like $60 possibly more if i can get my friend to use his employee discount haha, but i have no idea how the superhawk guys like them (the weaker pump and calps are significant factors in comparing it to my rc).

so what are your thoughts? ebc? galfer? another brand?

TIA!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:18 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Try kurveygirl.com for a set of Vesrah RJL's.
I used EBC HH's for a long time. I replaced the stock rotors with Galfers one or two seasons ago. The stock ones had become too thin from wear.
I was unhappy with the way the last set of EBC's worked on the Galfer rotors. Braking performance was mediocre. The rotors looked scored but it turned out that it was a buildup of pad material on the rotors. The Vesrah pads removed the old pad material from the rotors. The brakes became a pleasure to use. Beautiful, smooth, consistent stopping power.
I wouldn't go back to the EBC's.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Superstock

will check it out thanks man
Old 04-26-2011, 09:24 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
+1 on the Vesrah pads. They are about the best you can get price to performance ratio IMHO.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Superstock

so ive been looking at vesrah part numbers, seems that there are:

- SD-154 semi metallic
- VD-154 organic
- VD-154JL sintered metal

i believe im accustomed to using semi-metallics from galfer, which are the 1054s. they require very little heat to start working.

not sure where/what RJL's are, but if they're sintered metals (as i am led to believe) are we talking some decent warm up here? i will be able to generate very little if any heat for these pads as this is going to be for commuting on the freeway, very little brake usage, but very very very important to have them work immediately when needed.

thanks guys!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:02 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
According to www.vesrah.com, the RJL's are sintered pads.
Almost all of my riding is on the street. My experience has been that the RJL's work immediately, hot or cold, wet or dry. I'm using 954 calipers on my VTR. YMMV