Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

One More again

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Squid

DrGonzo is on a distinguished road
One More again

Hello,
I have just bought a 2000 Superhawk With Yoshimura Slip on's. Nothing else performance wise has been done according to the guy that sold it. At 6k-7k it (depending on how aggressive I'm being with the throttle) it losses all power like it's a rev limit. I can creep past this point but I have to do it vary slowly. I live in Wichita Ks +1350ft elevation. Would this be a jet issue? And for air cleaners BMC or K&N?

Thank you for your time
Old 06-01-2007, 09:49 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Sounds like it could be a jetting issue. Funny that's the EXACT issue I had with a '97 gsxr600 I had when I tried a vance & hines can in place of the akrapovic can that went with their header. It would just die at 6-7k rpm and slowly creep up when used the V&H can. Swapped it back and the flat spot disappeared. But I've been thru many different slip ons and currently have a full system on the superhawk and have never rejetted and it always ran perfect. As far as filters go it doesn't seem to matter much unless you do some engine work.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Definitely a fuel starvation problem. Try pulling out the choke a tad bit. If the condition improves then you need to rejet (richer). If it gets worse then you still need to rejet but you're too rich (unlikely unless someone's been in there already). If there is no change then you're problem is elsewhere, possibly petcock vacuum line inadvertent relocation (PVLIR).
Old 06-02-2007, 06:29 AM
Squid

DrGonzo is on a distinguished road
Thank you....Found out last night that it matters a lot where you hook up the vac line to the fuel tank. Over looked it, and put it on the bottom of the fuel shut off. got about 2 miles and nothing. "D E D" I push my Shawk home
fiddle for about a half hour looking over what I had taken a part nothing. I was getting ready to pull the fuel shut-off from the tank and felt like a moe. I'm a dumb smart guy sometimes.