Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Old Newbie needs Carb help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Old Newbie needs Carb help

I've been out of the black top bike world for 10 years and I Just purchased a Canadian Spec. '98 w/30k mi. Doing a little cosmetic work so I've got time to sort out the details. Flipped the PAIR reed stops. Changed all the fluids, incl. forks. Lubed every bearing and pivot, installed tapered bearings in stem. Re-torqued every accessible nut and bolt! While checking the plugs, the rear looked a little rich so I pulled the carbs and started checking things out. I've searched the threads and I need some help with the carb tuning. The previous owner had a "Pro" jet it after the addition of Yosh Slip-Ons and K&N. It runs just Okay but, I think it can be a little better. It currently has; Front: #45 Pilot, #180 Main, Needles; (6 grooves, possibly DJ?) 3rd from the top, 1 washer under clip, 130mm springs (not stock?) Rear: #45 Pilot, #185 Main, Same needle/spring setup as the front. The real conundrum is that the slides have both been drilled, 3 holes! I read a seemingly knowledgeable thread stating that, that is going the wrong way. I don't have a problem plugging the holes, etc. I'm just trying to get a baseline to work with. Any and all help/opinions (preferably those backed by experience) would be appreciated.