Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Newer Gauges plug & play on older gauge style?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Squid

996er is on a distinguished road
Newer Gauges plug & play on older gauge style?

I have a 2000 996 superhawk. There is no gas gauge and honestly I run out of gas all the freakin time. Just a chincy little light that rarely works. The newer 02-05 Gauges have a gas gauge and a clock. My question is, do they both use the same harness plug or am I dreaming?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
it can be done, but it's not a plug-and-play. i believe that the olders just have a low level sensor, not an actual level gauge that can show you how much is left.

others will surely chime in
Old 08-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
Even on my '02, I fill up by mileage, not the gauge. That's just my way of doing it. I ride fairly consistently, so I almost always fill up about the same amount at around 100 miles. I can go about 130, but don't like to.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Superstock

sumthin_major is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lhoward1134
Even on my '02, I fill up by mileage, not the gauge. That's just my way of doing it. I ride fairly consistently, so I almost always fill up about the same amount at around 100 miles. I can go about 130, but don't like to.
+1 ..

I have been lucky to go 150 on 3.5 gallons. I thought I'd have to go all fred flintstone before i got to a gas station that time. The one I would usually use closed before I got there. ....It would be nice to have a digital spedometer.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 996er
I have a 2000 996 superhawk. There is no gas gauge and honestly I run out of gas all the freakin time. Just a chincy little light that rarely works. The newer 02-05 Gauges have a gas gauge and a clock. My question is, do they both use the same harness plug or am I dreaming?
Originally Posted by sassage
it can be done, but it's not a plug-and-play. i believe that the olders just have a low level sensor, not an actual level gauge that can show you how much is left.

others will surely chime in
Nope It's not the same plug... You would need a front harness from a new model VTR to get the plug and then splice in the cables, you would also need the fuel sensor of the new bike, altough that one is a straight swap in terms of fitment to the tank and harness plug...

Also, and I'm not 100% sure on this but i think you need to swap the temp sensor to get the reading correct...
Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Squid

996er is on a distinguished road
Sounds like alot of work. I just ran out of gas again last weekend coming home from the shore with 95 miles on the odom. Pushed her about 2 miles, syphoned some gas from another biker and somehow my battery was dead. Tried pop starting it for a while with no luck. A harley dude helped me out with a jump box and I finally made it home hours later... I just read somewhere online that the Super Hawk has the largest carbs honda ever made in a production bike. This could explain the crap gas mileage, but I guess you have to sacrafice something for raw torque...beatin the sht out of it will **** the gas away as well... Regardless of the many times Ive been stranded, my sixth bike and my favorite by far!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:50 PM
MotoGP

Well since I'm at home tinkering with wiring and stuff it would take me minutes to do the job once I had all the parts... and swapping out the fuel sensor is easy... so I'd say it's all but alot of work... but to each his own...
Old 08-23-2008, 04:18 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Wiring looms are totally different. I had a look at the two of them and figured it was a major job. You would also need the later model sensor in the tank.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:27 AM
MotoGP

It's cut n paste so to speak... colours are the same, so is the numbers of wires... just cut of the plug on both and splice them together... To make it realy easy to work with it you can use the plug from the old cluster and make a small cable 5-6" or so that plugs into the cluser using the new plug and into the bikes harness using the old... That way you don't even have to remove the fairing to do the work...

That's how I did it on my CBR1000RR gauges... the harness on my bike is left stock and I cut up a front harness from a CBR to get the plug and make an "adapter"...

Last edited by Tweety; 08-23-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:00 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
What you say is true to an extent, but without wiring diagrams for both, some electrical knowledge and the correct equipment, it may be a bit tricky for most owners.

When I looked at the looms for both models the number of wires was quite different. In fact I think the updated dash has two plugs instead of one as well. It also has the HISS system as part of the system.

Last edited by shayne; 08-23-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:12 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 996er
Sounds like alot of work. I just ran out of gas again last weekend coming home from the shore with 95 miles on the odom. Pushed her about 2 miles, syphoned some gas from another biker and somehow my battery was dead. Tried pop starting it for a while with no luck. A harley dude helped me out with a jump box and I finally made it home hours later... I just read somewhere online that the Super Hawk has the largest carbs honda ever made in a production bike. This could explain the crap gas mileage, but I guess you have to sacrafice something for raw torque...beatin the sht out of it will **** the gas away as well... Regardless of the many times Ive been stranded, my sixth bike and my favorite by far!!!
Me too. Hadn't ridden in awhile and I barely made it 100 miles before she started sounding like a big dirtbike running on one cylinder lol. I figured the stupid reserve would be good for more than about 5-10 miles...she's a good girl though, cut out as I was pulling into the station. Of course the station was CLOSED, but she actually started back up and drove me a mile or down the road, still running on one cylinder, and I only had to push her maybe 200 feet. I get all paranoid like something else was wrong with the bike but it was fine
Old 08-23-2008, 06:28 AM
MotoGP

The HISS isn't in any way involved with the gauge cluster, so don't involve that...

The difference in wires are that the older cluster has one more bulb for the side stand switch indicator... wich aparently the new cluster doesn't have?
It's 14 wires for the new and 15 for the old...

It's the old one that has two plugs, the only reason seems to be making it less bulky as one connector would be long and awkward in that postion... The new one is at the back of the cluster, the old one on a short 5-6" lead stuffed under the dash above the headlight...

Yes, it does require some tools, a scissor and either a soldering iron or a crimp tool and some crimp connectors to re-connect the wires and some electricians tape...

As for knowledge... well a soldering iron has one end that is hot... avoid holding it by that end... Other than that it's green wire to green, red to red and blue to blue... It's that simple...

A wiring diagram for both, can be found at the end of the shop manual that you can download as a PDF file... the link is around here somewhere...

Last edited by Tweety; 08-23-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

cal2az is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lhoward1134

I do the same on my '04