Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

New tire mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:50 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
New tire mount

Man I have changed a zillion tires and its always a workout. Put on a new rear Bridgstone bt023 190. I have a harbor frt changer and a no scuff tool but I really wanted to try this method.

It worked but I would only do it again if I had to. I was gonna try to limp the dead 020 on it all winter but figured why ride in the cold rain with a beat tire?

The 023 has like 6mm of tread depth so looks like it should be at least as good as the 020 in the wet.

Now if the gas lines would get smaller than 1.5 miles I would be riding more.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:06 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
You just syphoning out of your van right now then? How long will that last? Gas will be flowing again soon...
Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 PM
MotoGP

Well I went on the first night of the storm and super topped off my van and filled the bike and a 5gal jug. I have been mountain biking like 15-20 miles a day to save on vtr use but to take my wife to the doctor the mtb wont cut it.

Oh yeah, couldnt secure tire mount lube. I always used soapy water and or windex but turns out murphys oil soap is way better. Plus you can clean up with the excess.

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 11-05-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Man I have changed a zillion tires and its always a workout. Put on a new rear Bridgstone bt023 190. I have a harbor frt changer and a no scuff tool but I really wanted to try this method. How to mount motorcycle tire with zipties - YouTube
How did this work? I'm due for a new tire shortly...
Old 11-05-2012, 04:49 PM
MotoGP

It worked sufficiently, just make sure to mount it in the right direction
Old 11-06-2012, 05:52 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Angry

I was hoping you were alright.........Sandy was a bitch in the real sense? I couldn't believe they were gonna run the marathon and was surprised that the giants played with all the displaced people and tragic losses. Now ya got another storm comin in......sucks.

Tire changing, yeah, ususally a workout. But you probably never mounted a set of power pures,,,,,,,3 sets on and off like butta. I loved that about those and their lightness, but unfortunately they can't hold a candle to Q2s traction-wise, which brings us back to the workout.

I used those heavy duty plastic ties to fab snow chains for my XR650 and they were a buck a piece over here, so about $10 per tire change. Do you plan on using them next time?

Just put my 3rd set of Q2s on and a workout indeed. I'm always trying to figure out ways to facilitate the process and like you, I'm using the harbor freight changer but w/o the top.
Last time I slip knotted a thin rope around the tire similar to plastic ties squeezing the bead and secured it down to one of the three changer arms. Untie the rope and slide it off before airing up.

That worked okay because it kept tire from moving sideways, but this time I cut a piece of rubber hose a little shorter than the rim perimeter, fed a thin plastic clothesline through the middle and tied it around the underside of the rim to keep the tire up in the center. Worked well for the rear tire and it went right on. Wala!

Tried it with the front tire, but the rubber hose was too fat for smaller front rim and the plastic clothes line broke, dadatada........hence the work out ensued.

This method has promise if you make a diff thickness hoses for frnt and rear rims and i might take the time to do it.

Another method I will try next change is the three spoon method. Tried to find the 3 spoon You Tube video for ya last night, but got bug-eyed and went to bed. I only have two irons now but that is about to change cause I always need a bead buddy-type thingy to hold the bead down anyway.

If i can find the 3 spoon vid, I'll post it........looks pretty easy for a dirt tire anyway.

Hope this week's storm is benigned.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:02 AM
MotoGP

This is the vid of how I first started doing my own tires.

This is the no scuff tool I use, pretty neat.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a HF changer as well, but picked up the NoMar tool and lubricate and have no problems at all. If you follow the instructions with the NoMar and use the lube correctly no other tools re needed. I can unmount and remount a tire in 2 - 4 minutes.

No-Mar: Scratch-Proof Mount/Demount Bar