Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

New heads

Old 04-27-2007, 07:53 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
New heads

I just picked up two virtually new (2004) heads (300 miles on them, result of a "squidism" wheelie crash at 20 mph, lol) for my VTR on eBay. They come with CCT's, cam chains, the works I am hoping/waiting to get specs for cleaning up the ports (from Sir Roger of Revolution Racing; he had offered to send me the info some time ago, mentioned I could get it done by myself with a dremmel so, I will), and will then likely have them installed. I was thinking of having them milled but in doing research on this forum, came across a thread that mentioned you could also raise compression by splitting a head gasket in two (heck, if it doesn't work, I'll get them milled). I'll also get the sprockets grooved for indexing (may explore possibility of using exhaust cams on intake too, something that RollingAlong had mentioned at one point, but we'll see about that one). When all is said and done, I'll have two spare CCT's (although mine are virtually new), and new camchains and the works in the heads. Combined with indexed cams, slightly raised compression and massaged ports, I should get a decent little bump in the mids Not sure when I'll get them installed but there is no rush as the bike is running well now anyhow.

One last thing (hijacking my own thread, lol), based on input I got from Alan on the vtr1000.org site (he posts here often, has that sweet red VTR with the SSS), I have gone back to a stock airbox lid as he was of the opinion that my drop in output (dynoed yesterday and was down @ 3 hp and 3 ft-lbs from two summers ago) was likely caused by the snorkel mods. Given the VTR's well-established sensitivity to airbox mods, I think he may well be right so, back to what worked well before

cheers
Old 05-03-2007, 02:41 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Milling the heads or splitting a gasket (dunno that I like that by the way) will increase the play in your timing chains. Not a lot I know, but enough for an engine builder to advise me that pistons were a better option in his opinion. I THINK this also effects cam timing.

CP in the US can make you a hand made forged piston to any comp ratio you like. I have 10:1.

Lots of people will be nodding in regards to the airbox! When I get it right, I will become rich and famous!

Mmmmwwwwwwwhhhhaaaaa!!!!!!!