Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

New Front Springs???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 05:06 AM
Back Marker

Northman69 is on a distinguished road
New Front Springs???

ok so I had my suspension adjusted for my weight... I am 6'2 220LBS... My rear shock had plenty of room to play but the front was of course too soft... My friend who did the adjustment suggested a set of race tech 1.0 springs... Just wanted to get some feedback from you guys...
Old 05-26-2013, 05:13 AM
Back Marker

oh also ill be replacing the fork oil as well what would you guys suggest for that?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:14 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Going for springs alone will be a let down at your weight... Get springs and valving at the same time, or it will feel like a pogo stick... The stock valving is as much to blame as the spring, and it's just getting worse with a heavier spring putting it even more out of adjustment range...
Old 05-26-2013, 05:16 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah that sounds right. Look on the race tech website and they have a chart that shows you what you need.

Here is the chart Race Tech Fork Spring Rates
Old 05-26-2013, 05:16 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Northman69
oh also ill be replacing the fork oil as well what would you guys suggest for that?
A good quality one in the correct spec for the valving... Playing with oil thickness isn't a good idea unless you know the exact flow characteristics of the valves as it can result in oil-lock... So with stock valves, refer to the manual... With racetech valving, go by their spec...
Old 05-26-2013, 05:19 AM
Back Marker

ok ill get the valves as well... So the springs and valves are pretty much just drop in right
Old 05-26-2013, 05:25 AM
MotoGP

Well, not quite drop in. There is some distmantling involved. Again, check out the website to see the instalation instructions. Its way more involved. I think suspension guys charge a couple hundred at least for the install.

Look up Jamie Daugherty on this site, he is a suspension guy. Always did right by me.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:28 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Well, not quite drop in. There is some distmantling involved. Again, check out the website to see the instalation instructions. Its way more involved. I think suspension guys charge a couple hundred at least for the install.

Look up Jamie Daugherty on this site, he is a suspension guy. Always did right by me.
man this is becoming expensive LOL... I was hoping I could just drop in some springs and be good... So now i need springs and valves then have it re-adjusted...
Old 05-26-2013, 05:44 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I was hoping I could just drop in some springs and be good.
When you get to know your new hawk, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Back Marker

VtrInMtl is on a distinguished road
I never saw that Racetech chart before, so now I know what I would want to put in there. But, where would the stock springs that you guys all hate fall on that chart?
Old 05-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Here is a step by step install by Jamie Daughtry: Daugherty Motorsports - V4 Honda Carb Removal and Installation Procedure
Here is the RaceTech Spring rate calculator, they say the SH comes with .585 kg/mm, RT - Digital Product Search Just feed in the information it asks for.

If you want the same quality and more cost friendly, contact Daugherty: Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification Excelent customer service
Old 05-26-2013, 11:47 AM
MotoGP

The stockers would be off the charts to the bottom where a 100# rider would be.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:12 PM
MotoGP

man this is becoming expensive LOL... I was hoping I could just drop in some springs and be good... So now i need springs and valves then have it re-adjusted...
I'm not sure I follow that logic all the way... How is having the suspension "adjusted" by someone else better than doing it yourself? Either you have a technician open it up and change the internals, or you set it yourself... It's like having a "VCR technician" come to your house and programming the VCR to record...

It's not even hard to do, all it takes is some basic logical thinking and the ability to read and understand information...
Old 05-26-2013, 03:28 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Northman, Please don't go down the squid / whinning path. The group has explained to you the best route to fix your problem, and improve the handling /braking of your bike. Not to mention the very best modification of the superhawk.
Spend the money, enjoy the improvements....

2001 Superhawk was taken to GMDcomputrack- Front forks- Kent's special blend, Rear-Ohlins-Kent worked.. plus alignment $1600.00 later- PRICELESS
Old 05-26-2013, 05:52 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
No, you won't because the forks would come from me ready to ride. Guys who do "tuning" or "adjusting" of your suspension are selling you snake oil. The only way to tune your suspension is to ride the bike and feel what it is doing and adjust accordingly. Any other method is just guessing.

For your weight the correct spring rate is 0.95kg/mm - FYI.

I hope this helps!