Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

my hawk

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Back Marker

joshn569 is on a distinguished road
my hawk

I just got my carbon fiber(look) levers, bar ends, mirrors, top yoke cover, and gas cover cap. My bike already has on it rears carbon fiber D&D exhaust, turn signals license plate bracket and tankpad. Now to finish it off i need a chain gaurd and front fender. Does anyone know of such a place to pick those items up fairly cheap.8-)

My vision - next year i wanna repaint my bike black and paint the frame, swingarm and fork tubes black along with all the brakets along the way black. Im thinking of painting my header pipes with some hightemp BBQ paint. Ive heard some people having succsess with this and some not. anyone done this with the hawk?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
FYI: there's now a spray paint available in auto parts stores etc. that's rated up to 1200 degrees that's meant for exhaust manifolds and such. I'm thinking about trying it on my headers...just not too sure. I know turbo engines can see exhaust gas temps of 1600F, not sure about atmo engines through it shouldn't be near that much.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:50 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
That hi-temp stuff will last about 500 miles if your lucky. I've tried it a few times with poor results.

The last and final time, I did it right: stripped them down to 100% bare metal, a good sanding to etch the surface, washed with surface prep, painted in low humidity (not too easy to do here!) and within recommended temp zone, and carefully installed them without scratching. Again, started flaking at the concentrated heat zones (outside of a bend) within 500 miles. They looked GREAT till then tho'. LOL
Old 02-07-2007, 08:05 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Jet Hot has a flat black that they do and I think they're good to 1600 or 1800F. Not cheap but crawling around every winter to repaint the headers is a PITA. Some of their coatings are guaranteed for life.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
Try eBay for the hugger but stay away from Piteck there stuf is crap!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Back Marker

blupleous is on a distinguished road
i wish you would of posted on one of my previous threads about piteck i have one of their rear huggers on the way painted in not "the fastest color" but the best color. candy tahitian blue. as far as carbon fiber goes i have not ever seen it cheap. i was looking into the harris products. i think through denniskirk.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by joshn569
Im thinking of painting my header pipes with some hightemp BBQ paint. Ive heard some people having succsess with this and some not. anyone done this with the hawk?
I use the 1450 Flat Black heat paint VHT is the brand i think on my CB750F header and have had years and years of riding with no flaking or discolor.

I think the Stainless Steel SuperHawk system may not take this heat paint as well as my old Yoshi pipe made of steel on the CBF. I typically will sand blast it first before spraying it. I then place it in the hot summer sun for several days and bake it well. Once on the bike i usually go threw 3 or 4 5 miunute warm up sessions to heat cycle the paint and that usually does the trick.

Good Luck!