Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

my gixxer swap

Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
my gixxer swap

I am writing this more to head off issues that I might not be aware of. so basically, if you see something that won't work, let me know. ok I've got an 01' GSXR 750 front end which includes forks triples calipers MC's clip-ons, and brake lines. I have 2 plans for the swap.
1) grind the suzuki symbol off the gixxer top triple, and mount swatt clip-ons under the gixxer triple with stock vtr brake lines
2) get a cbr954 or 929 top triple, mount it on the gixxer lower triple and slide the fork tubes up far enough to mount the stock gixxer clip-ons to the tubes above the top triple. use the gixxer brake lines hopefully.

ok, any issues? preferences?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty certain it wont be mix and match with two different types of triples... Could be wrong though...

Probably smarter to either have the whole triple tree from the gixxer if that's possible... Or a full 929/954 one...

If the steering stem on the gixxer one matches, the spacers and such become a non issue...
Old 04-03-2009, 04:29 PM
SuperSport

well I don't remember why, but I thought that the top triple from a 929/954 would fit with the bottom triple of the gixxer. if not, then there's only one direction I can go since I'm not gonna buy a whole new triple. I'll just have to use the gixxer one and go from there. but if they are compatible, could someone who knows for sure let me know??
Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
well I don't remember why, but I thought that the top triple from a 929/954 would fit with the bottom triple of the gixxer. if not, then there's only one direction I can go since I'm not gonna buy a whole new triple. I'll just have to use the gixxer one and go from there. but if they are compatible, could someone who knows for sure let me know??

No, the two triples are not compatible. The GSXR runs a different offset so you would be really hosed trying to use the GSXR lower with the CBR upper. You'll want to run a 929 or 954 complete triple clamp set. This will require special axle spacers, the actual length will depend on what you use for a wheel.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:45 AM
SuperSport

is there any reason why I couldn't use the gixxer triple that I have instead of the cbr ones? I was planning on just getting an 01 gixxer 750 wheel and rotors. if my gixxer triple will work, then I'll just grind the susuki symbol off.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:50 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
is there any reason why I couldn't use the gixxer triple that I have instead of the cbr ones? I was planning on just getting an 01 gixxer 750 wheel and rotors. if my gixxer triple will work, then I'll just grind the susuki symbol off.

Yes, there is a reason: it won't fit in your steering head.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
If the Gixxer M/C has an integrated reservoir, it might not fit on the Swatt clip-ons, I ran into that with my F4i M/C & Swatt's.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Syclone
If the Gixxer M/C has an integrated reservoir, it might not fit on the Swatt clip-ons, I ran into that with my F4i M/C & Swatt's.
that's not an issue. seperate resovoir. thanks for the input.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:56 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Yes, there is a reason: it won't fit in your steering head.
ok that's a pretty good reason. so if I get the a 01 gixxer750 front wheel and rotors, and one of the cbr triples, I should be set right? I won't need special spacers for the axle if the wheel matches the forks will I?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 AM
SuperSport

ok, did some more looking, and I think I know everything else I'll need. still need a wheel with rotors, want to get allballs race bearings, the cbr 929/954 triple, and a left clip-on. and that should be it.