Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

More mods....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:45 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
More mods....

The never-ending quest for mods/performance/bling continues.... I brought the (virtually new) heads I picked up on eBay to my dealer's to have them ported and decked (they prepare the engines for the Honda Canada Superbike team so they know their stuff). I was looking at possibly adding JE pistons but think I will hold off for now ($$$$; maybe next year, we'll see...). Besides, I hope to get a half-decent bump in compression from the headwork.

I will be picking up my newly purchased Yoshi Stage 1 cams from the Post Office at lunch time too. I called Yoshimura's HQ yesterday and spoke to an engineer/tuner about my desire to tune for mid-range and he suggested I retard (?, have it written down at home) the intake cam timing by 2-3 degrees (less overlap, shifts the powerband down in the rev range) to accomplish this so I will be having this done.

I will have the engine filled with Engine Ice to hopefully provide more efficient cooling (have to change the coolant anyhow so am going to try it), especially in light of the new-found power (and heat).

I hope to have this package back together before too long (hopefully in time for my vacation) and enjoy the new-found kick in the rump I am told these mods should bring me up into the 115-118 hp range (with a nice boost in response and mid-range torque). Should be fun.....
Old 06-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Squid

superbird is on a distinguished road
FYI, Moriwaki used to make a little additional radiator that fits between the two main radiators right in front. No idea if they still got em or not. My 2 cents. Good luck with your project, sounds like fun.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 AM
MotoGP

Thanks for the info. I thought of doing the 3rd rad thing but it's surely quite expensive. I added a larger oil cooler (from a EX400 ATv, same as RC51 unit) and it seems to have helped keep the temps in check.

I really am looking forward to riding the bike after the mods are done. Those mods, combined with my existing ones (including the light flywheel and RC45 throttle), should make for a pretty responsive mount

Modding is indeed a whole lot of fun, too bad it gets to be $$$$$....
Old 06-27-2007, 02:38 PM
MotoGP

(singing)... I got my cams, I got my cams,... woohoo!!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:09 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Sounds like your about to have some fun, I don't think that your midrange will suffer that much, I'll mount the cams straight up to benefit from the better engine efficiency at higher RPM. Some testing may be required. Good luck on this project.
Edit: I'm still looking forward to see this machine in person, if you come to Victoriaville PM me.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Back Marker

XLSR-VTR1 is on a distinguished road
Youre an animal! lol I havent done anything new to my ride in a couple years, im jones'n dude.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
Originally Posted by mikstr
I added a larger oil cooler (from a EX400 ATv, same as RC51 unit) and it seems to have helped keep the temps in check.
Did that oil cooler bolt right up or require any mods?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:34 AM
MotoGP

I had to have one of the inlet modded as it was originally set at an angle so I had to bring it to a rad shop to have it rotated so as to be prependicular like the other one. Do a search and you'll find more detailed info on a previous thread
Old 07-01-2007, 10:43 AM
roll through
Squid

vtrider is on a distinguished road
how did the flo commander work out for you? Want to pick one up
Old 07-01-2007, 01:24 PM
MotoGP

Well, I don't have a dyno before and after. My last dyno run was down about 3% from two years ago but I was trying some intake mods (carving out the snorkel, something I was told likley lost me power due to the added turbulence). I had also been running a home-made intermediate length runner on the front cylinder and went back to the earlier set-up. I can tell you this, at the moment, with 15/43 gearing, two long intake runners, Microns, DJ kit, FloC, lightened flywheel it responds very well to throttle, surging ahead anytime the throttle is turned. It is quite fun to ride, but will be getting a whole lot more fun once the new cams and ported (and decked) heads are installed. I would be very "content" if I saw 114 or so hp with @ 72 ft-lbs of torque, anything over that would be gravy, and who doesn't like gravy? Oh well, we'll see.....