Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

low end miss

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Squid

98 checkered ghost is on a distinguished road
low end miss

i recently swapped the engine on my 98 SH. sum how it swallowed a screw, not very pretty. the original engine had d&d pipes, 190-195 jets, K&N, adv. ign.,kevlar clutches, & shift kit. i bought a wrecked 2000 with less miles and installed all the aft. mkt. parts with the exception of the shift kit and the addition of jardine high mount mid pipes. ive been fighting with the jetting on it so finally i caved in and took it to the honda shop. few to many $ later i take it for a test ride it runs good, mechanic ran it, ran good. next time i go out with it falls on its face at low RPMs and ran out of power at 145MPH. He put 185-190 main jets 50 slow jets and gutted the PAIR system. he wont take it back in for a week & its beautiful out. any ideas to fix the problem before i waste any more money or time
Old 06-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
Your pilot circut sounds rich. I would try going back to a #45 pilot and turning the mixture screw out 2 1/2 turns. If you have a moveable needle try putting the clip on the 4th groove from the top. You may still need to go up on the mains, front #190 rear #195, depending on if you have chnged the slide spring and add an extra hole to the slide. These numbers are all based on a Dyno Jet kit.

You should also pull your plugs to see what they tell you.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Squid

plugs look a little lean if anything, a little white not to bad tho. ive been checking the ignition end of things since the honda shop re-jetted it.wouldnt think theyd screw that up but it could happen. ill give them any paperwork i have from my original stage 1 and try not to offend them. seems wierd that it ran fine the first day i dont know of anything that could have loosened on its own in the carbs
Old 06-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
I have seen main jets fall out before because they were not tight. If that was the case you would be running rich. If you are running lean,check carb boots.

I am running the same set up as you, K&N, Jardine w/street baffles, no pair, with the set up I mentioned.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Squid

sounds good thanks for the help. ill let the honda shop take the carbs apart again. i paid too much money to have not fixed