Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

lighter wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:08 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
lighter wheels

ive decided to mod the bike over the winter and i wanna put ona lighter set of wheels. that being said aftermarkrets are worth what the bike is to me so i wont go that route. what im wondering is what stock wheel will fit the bit without having to change anything and will drop some weight?
Old 09-26-2009, 06:58 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
ive decided to mod the bike over the winter and i wanna put ona lighter set of wheels. that being said aftermarkrets are worth what the bike is to me so i wont go that route. what im wondering is what stock wheel will fit the bit without having to change anything and will drop some weight?
None will drop weight and aftermarkets are too damn expensive. Spend the money on a different mod IMHO.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:48 AM
SuperBike

yeah thats what i figured. aftermarkets are way too expensive for the minimal gains. wonder if i can put a small nitrous shot on the bike and still keep it safe
Old 09-26-2009, 08:22 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Minimal gains?

reducing unsprung reciprocating mass is the best bang for the buck mod possible.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:25 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
there are some swaps that work and do lighten things up. And a few pounds in the wheels is much more noticeable than anywhere else, or a few hp.
you'll have to search to find out which, lots of past posts on it - some of the earlier 900RR series wheels I believe. The SH wheels are not particularly light.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:29 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmaniv
Minimal gains?

reducing unsprung reciprocating mass is the best bang for the buck mod possible.
+1
this is one of the best ways to improve performance that there is
Old 09-26-2009, 08:51 AM
SuperBike

sorry i worded that wrong, i realise that unsprung weight is probably thr best bang for the buck, improves braking acceleration and corner, but for the money a set of rims are worth im sure i could get the same results with increases everywhere else. speaking of unsprung weight, does it apply to the front sprocket aswell? im sure the few grams or ounces a sprocket can be made lighter woldnt really make that big of a difference
Old 09-26-2009, 09:02 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Yes however the further from the center of the moment the greater the results.
say if you are doing the flywheel removing a 1/4 inch from the radius will give better results than removing the same ammount of weight from the flat surface
Old 09-26-2009, 09:08 AM
SuperBike

true enough. what are my flywheel options for the vtr? and what kind of torque loss can be expected with the top end gains?
Old 09-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
You don't lose torque, you just get faster revs.
And if you can manage to mount a RC51 rear wheel, which I believe is lighter, you will be reducing unsprung mass and rotating resistance.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:34 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
hmmmm,
wheels, new-$2000
that is expensive, but

high comp pistons-$350/1
head gaskets-$37/1
porting-DIY or pay $$$
Lighten flywheel-DIY or pay $200-300
520 chain conversion- $150-180
Cams- $500-1000

So, after you get done f-ing around with the engine all winter and most of $2000 doing the work yourself, you will have a snappier bike, higher top speed, and your handling will not have changed by much, and your braking will be the same.

Do the wheels and----your bike will accelerate faster, probably won't gain much on the top end, will turn quicker, and slow quicker, and the bike will be lighter. For $2000 you can have your tires mounted and on the bike in a week or two.

I know it is your pick, but think it through.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:48 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
there are some swaps that work and do lighten things up. And a few pounds in the wheels is much more noticeable than anywhere else, or a few hp.
you'll have to search to find out which, lots of past posts on it - some of the earlier 900RR series wheels I believe. The SH wheels are not particularly light.
I've swapped 900RR rear and F3 front to my bike a few times. The ol' "one in the right hand, one in the left" way of measuring says that you can't tell a difference. Unfortunately you have to go the aftermarket route I think. Man would love a set of carbon fiber wheels....
Old 09-28-2009, 08:46 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
hmmmm,
wheels, new-$2000
that is expensive, but

high comp pistons-$350/1
head gaskets-$37/1
porting-DIY or pay $$$
Cams- $500-1000

So, after you get done f-ing around with the engine all winter and most of $2000 doing the work yourself, you will have a snappier bike, higher top speed, and your handling will not have changed by much, and your braking will be the same.

Do the wheels and----your bike will accelerate faster, probably won't gain much on the top end, will turn quicker, and slow quicker, and the bike will be lighter. For $2000 you can have your tires mounted and on the bike in a week or two.

good summary. not to mention dyno time and jetting woes
Old 09-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Hell, at that point you might as well get a rc51 and some riser clip-ons, and a different seat.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
I've swapped 900RR rear and F3 front to my bike a few times. The ol' "one in the right hand, one in the left" way of measuring says that you can't tell a difference. Unfortunately you have to go the aftermarket route I think. Man would love a set of carbon fiber wheels....
I think somebody waaay back when put them on a scale and the verdict was that the 900RR rear was a smidgen lighter and the F3 front was a smidgen heavier...

I can say for sure though that the CBR 1000RR wheels I'm running is substantially lighter about a Kg in front and close to 2 Kg in the rear...

But for that you need a special "adapter"... So it's probably cheaper with aftermarket wheels...
Old 09-28-2009, 12:57 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by autoteach
hmmmm,
wheels, new-$2000
that is expensive, but

high comp pistons-$350/1
head gaskets-$37/1
porting-DIY or pay $$$
Cams- $500-1000

Plus... you can take the wheels off and sell them seperate of the bike which will probably be worth less than the wheels after another year or two!!!!

J.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:37 PM
SuperBike

thats the thing too, a set of aftermarket wheels are gonna cost me more than the bike is worth to me. id rather re gear do my jet kit filter see if theres anything else i can do cheaply swap out the front suspension as it needs it anyways and do a front brake upgrade and be set and likely be well under the cost of just the wheels.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:39 PM
MotoGP

thats the thing too, a set of aftermarket wheels are gonna cost me more than the bike is worth to me. id rather re gear do my jet kit filter see if theres anything else i can do cheaply swap out the front suspension as it needs it anyways and do a front brake upgrade and be set and likely be well under the cost of just the wheels.
If you are going to do all that... Why not swap out the front for CBR gear... Then you have a CBR wheel there... And pick anyone of them 929/954RR or 1000RR and they are lighter than stock VTR by far... And you get stiffer suspension and beefier brakes as a bonus... And if you pick and choose your buys you can do that real cheap...
Old 09-28-2009, 04:39 PM
SuperBike

Interesting. What's a comete front like that worth and how much work is it to swap in?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:29 PM
MotoGP

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=20222

Other than that, search "front end swap" or "fork swap" and you get loads of info...

Have a look at my gallery, just click the image in my sig...
Old 09-28-2009, 05:38 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
I don't know, after all of this discussion I'm retracting my initial statement and thinking about aftermarket wheels. Thanks guys, now I might have to spend more money...
Old 09-29-2009, 06:15 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Lighter wheels are a distinct performance advantage, in acceleration, braking, and handling.

And they look as sexy as a Playboy centrefold.

Name:  DSCN0178.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  92.3 KB
Name:  DSCN0177.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  96.3 KB
Name:  DSCN0179.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  93.0 KB
Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 PM
SuperBike

Yup those are sexy. What are they worth? And do you find an advantage with those rotors?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Squid

FlamFlamMan is on a distinguished road
And do you find an advantage with those rotors?
I think the whole package gives him an advantage with the ladies
Old 09-30-2009, 03:20 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Let's not forget an important point here fellas - lighter wheels are not nearly as strong as stock wheels. They are known to bend like crazy on very small hits. Life is not perfect!
Old 09-30-2009, 04:13 AM
SuperBike

I've got a gf I'm stuck with so the only person I'm trying to impress is myself with my thin chickenstrips. Lol.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
Adding HP to your engine is the last mod you want to make AFTER you've dialed in the suspension, brakes AND improved your riding skill. Take the money you'd spend on mods and go to a high perfomance riding school like Keith Code or something. All the go fast goodies in the world don't help if you ride like a tool. You'd be amazed at what the SH can do with 0 mods and a good rider. Case in point, I rountinely make local squids disappear in my rear view when we hit the twisties, even though my Hawk is only slightly moded. They'll be on tricked out R1s and such and I'll still smoke 'em. Also I'm a big proponent of lighter wheels, and no you don't have to compromise strength or spend $3K on Marchesinis. They dramatically improve turn in, acceleration, etc. Check out these forged aluminum wheels for just under $1800. They can be had for $1500 on their Racer Support program(if you can prove you race).
http://forged-wheel.com/
I have a set on my Hayabusa and they are SICK.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:06 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
i don't see a specific app. for superhawks. you know they'll fit? and with what mods necessary?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
It's true the good stuff is expensive...but there's no need to pay retail for new stuff if you're patient and look around. Yeah $5k BST's will still bring $3500 used on ebay, but around 1k can get you a used set of rc51 marchesinis (that you can always resell later and get your $ back), and I've seen a couple used sets of direct bolt on aftermarket wheels for a superhawk go for between $400-$600 on ebay. Also be creative and remember other Honda wheels fit the superhawk so you can look for used stuff off 900rr's and F3's as well. I've also seen several bikes for sale over the years, including a few racebikes, that look like they drove thru the aftermarket with a magnet on them. If you can buy a bike like that for a good price you can usually take what you want off it and resell it and end up getting all your goodies for cheap.

Last edited by captainchaos; 09-30-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:18 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
i don't see a specific app. for superhawks. you know they'll fit? and with what mods necessary?
While Carrozzeria does not make a set specific to the Hawk, they can be adapted. Call their Sales guy Adam, he can set you up. One compromise you have to make is switching to a Kawasaki bolt pattern for the sprocket. So if you get a set, you'll have to get a rear sprocket too.

Quick Reply: lighter wheels