Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Kyle Racing Shock Link for Superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Dirty Bird
Squid

hawkbill is on a distinguished road
Kyle Racing Shock Link for Superhawk

After reading the latest string about suspension settings for the 'Hawk, I too was looking for a lower cost alternative to an aftermarket shock. Kyle Racing makes a shock link for the RC51 and other Honda CBR models that increases rear end height and improves suspension compliance. According to Motor Cyclist mag, this link made the single biggest improvement to the handling of their long term RC.
With this in mind I called Kyle Racing to ask if they would produce this link for the Superhawk to which they immediately said no. I believe this was a knee jerk response given without due consideration to real world market analysis. In the years Superhawks were produced, Honda went through several significant model changes for their CBR line and one for their RC51, but nothing significant for the Superhawk. If Kyle was to compare the sales history of the Superhawk/Firestorm vs the entire CBR line, over the years the SH was in production I'd be curious to know what the potential sales opportunity would be for Kyle Racing.
Has the Superhawk Forum community ever petitioned a manufacturer to produce a specific aftermarket part for the bike? Would you guys be interested in creating a petition or in some way showing Kyle Racing legitamate interest in producing their shock link for the SH? Does an easier solution already exist? Thoughts guys?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:44 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I don't know if there would be enough people but just for ***** and giggles why not ask them how many interested people they would need in order to consider producing the part.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:58 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
I did it the easy & cheap way....
Got 2 thick washers (each about 4mm thick), cut a slot just big enough for the upper shock mount, loosened the top shock nut enough to slide the washers between the shock & frame.
Raised the rear 8mm. There is enough threads to go even higher if you want.
You will have to lift the rear of the bike to relieve the pressure from the shock to slide the washers in.
Some people have made a 10mm aluminum spacer with a single hole to raise the rear. This requires removing the top of the shock from the frame. I chose the slotted washers because it was easier (no shock removal).
Once it is all tightened down the washers will not move.

It does make the bike 'turn in' faster.

More info here
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=5615
Hope this helps ya !
Old 07-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
I did 2 pieces (3mm each and get them thru ebay) spacer for my rear now and lower forks front both 12mm . But if comparo to my others Penske rear suspension also w/front lower: OEM rear shock like chalk and Penske like cheese.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:52 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by hawkbill
After reading the latest string about suspension settings for the 'Hawk, I too was looking for a lower cost alternative to an aftermarket shock. Kyle Racing makes a shock link for the RC51 and other Honda CBR models that increases rear end height and improves suspension compliance. According to Motor Cyclist mag, this link made the single biggest improvement to the handling of their long term RC.
With this in mind I called Kyle Racing to ask if they would produce this link for the Superhawk to which they immediately said no. I believe this was a knee jerk response given without due consideration to real world market analysis. In the years Superhawks were produced, Honda went through several significant model changes for their CBR line and one for their RC51, but nothing significant for the Superhawk. If Kyle was to compare the sales history of the Superhawk/Firestorm vs the entire CBR line, over the years the SH was in production I'd be curious to know what the potential sales opportunity would be for Kyle Racing.
Has the Superhawk Forum community ever petitioned a manufacturer to produce a specific aftermarket part for the bike? Would you guys be interested in creating a petition or in some way showing Kyle Racing legitamate interest in producing their shock link for the SH? Does an easier solution already exist? Thoughts guys?
there is a member of this forum,MR.BILLET who made his own link
for an rc51 swingarm swap.
maybe he could be contacted and persuaded to produce some.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Here's the problem with changing the linkage ratio - it also changes the rear suspension characteristics, generally to a more linear motion. I haven't done any research on this, but I'll bet you $20 the Superhawk linkage is progressive, which means that there is more shock travel as you go deeper into the stroke of the swingarm. See the below graph of 1000RR shock links. The stock link is more progressive, probably for two-up riding so the shock doesn't bottom. The '04-05 HRC part (which also happens to be very similar to the '06-07 stock link) is more linear. Now this is all fine and dandy to have a more linear curve, right? Should provide better damping characteristics and such as you go through the stroke, right? Nope! You have to revalve the shock to take advantage of the more linear characteristics of the linkage, maybe give it a bit more spring too!
Old 07-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Dirty Bird
Squid

hawkbill is on a distinguished road
I spoke w/ Dan Kyle myself and asked him if he'd be willing to do the development work. For Dan, he would need to sell a minimum of 50 racing shock links to justify the cost of development. If there's sufficient interest, the final retail price would be around $300.
He's never developed a racing link shock because few people have bought after market shocks from him for the 'Hawk; unlike the RC51 inwhich riders generally by BOTH the shock and racing shock linkage.
Dan's a good man, and in fact he's offering riders of the Superhawk Forum the Ohlins shock for $825 plus $15 for shipping in the U.S. He'll even have the shock set up for your weight, etc.
Well guys, what's on your mind, what would you be willing to pay for:
* a fully adjustable high end replacement shock, or
* a shock link that may bridge the gap between stock and a new Ohlins