Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Kawi Concours r/r?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Squid

SloBlue is on a distinguished road
Kawi Concours r/r?

So I read and re-read everything I can find on this forum about r/r replacement. On Tweety's Mosfet r/r thread, the following list of Mosfet r/r's is posted:

Kawasaki
ZX-6R 2007-> Cut-n-splice... Either solder, or get both connectors from eastern beaver...
ZX-10 2004->
ZX14 2006->
Concours 2008->

Yamaha
FZ1 2007->
YZF-R1 2007->
YZF-R1 2004-2006 - Works, but has large fins, making it hard to fit...
FJ1300 2007->
Wildstar 1300 2007->

Honda
CBR 1000RR 2004-2007 - Both MOSFET and non-MOSFET available, BEWARE! Cut-n-splice
CBR 1000RR 2008-> Odd connectors, no plugs available, use spade connectors...
CBR 600RR 2003-2006 - Both MOSFET and non-MOSFET available, BEWARE! Cut-n-splice
CBR 600RR 2007-> Cut-n-splice

I found a 2009 kawasaki Concours r/r on ebay and bought it. After I bought it, I notice the stock SH r/r has only on plug whereas the Concours r/r has 2 plugs on the side. Will this work on the SH? Is it just a matter of getting the right connectors from Eastern Beaver? I hope I didn't just waste $60.

Anyway, my eyes are going blurry from reading about r/r's and I'm going to bed. I'd appreciate if someone who know would let me know if I'm ok or not on the r/r I purchased. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:59 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Yes, you got the right one. On the eastern beavers website you will find the two connectors that fit your harness into the kawi r/r:
R/R Connectors

Your connector has 5 wires in it (three yellow coming from the stator and one red and one green) These connectors just separate those into two sets. The three yellow will go into one connector and the red/green will go into the other.

The order of the yellow wires doesn't matter, the red (+) and green (-) do matter.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Squid

SloBlue is on a distinguished road
awesome! Thanks 7moore7, now I'll be able to sleep!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 PM
MotoGP

P.S. You can actually just get some terminals for like 2 bucks and connect those directly in and skip the plugs like I did... but Tweety will scold you for being irresponsible with electronics if he catches wind of it.

Plus, I'm in Arizona, so not too worried about moisture.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
P.S. You can actually just get some terminals for like 2 bucks and connect those directly in and skip the plugs like I did... but Tweety will scold you for being irresponsible with electronics if he catches wind of it.

Plus, I'm in Arizona, so not too worried about moisture.
Actually, mine was connected that way for a week or two until I got the plugs... But as a long term solution, it's a great way to get problems...
Old 05-02-2011, 07:17 AM
MotoGP

What kind of problems am I looking at? I got one of the kawasaki r/r's with only one plug in the back, so the eastern beaver ones don't work for me... should I look into buying an OEM kawi plug?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
No... You should not... The reason for the Eastern Beaver plugs for the newer kawi R/R's are that they are waterproof, and that also means corrosion proof (to a point)... The older kawi plugs are not, and neither are the stock Honda plugs, so those are fairly useless...

What you should do, is use standard connectors like the one's you got... But first strip the wire and solder it, and then crimp the connector on, and then once that's done, solder over the crimp... That way you have no place for corrosion or resistance to build up...

Than when that's done, get a heatgun and shrinktube with hotglue inside... When you isolate each connector with that, letting it go over both the actual connector, and a good bit up on the wire... That makes it waterproof...

Then put a fairly large dab of white vaseline into each connector before putting them on... That seals them as best as possible...
Old 05-02-2011, 11:10 AM
MotoGP

Ok, I've actually done all of that except the hot glue... I'll get on it when I get the chance. Thanks, Tweety
Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
What you should do, is use standard connectors like the one's you got... But first strip the wire and solder it, and then crimp the connector on, and then blah blah blah . .
Tweety forgot to mention placing little umbrellas over it and strapping a dehumidifier on the bike pointed right at the connections. That way you can ride underwater.

Just kidding. Tweety is correct, as usual.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 AM
MotoGP

Dehumidifier. Got it.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:32 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
You can also get the heat shrink with the glue in it. Shrinks then the glue liquifies and re hardens when it cools. Great stuff.