Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

K&N air

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:53 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

whatthefnck is on a distinguished road
K&N air

Anyone have a K&N air filter they want to part with?
Old 03-31-2013, 11:57 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Sorry already gave mine away a few years ago..............
Old 04-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Why would you want one?
Old 04-01-2013, 12:30 AM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Better air flow? And thinking of jetting the carbs..
Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Good Grief not this again!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 AM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Haha is it not worth it?

I searched the forum but found too many posts that didn't show anything in particular.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... This is on the top three list of debated topics around here...

The K&N improves airflow, yes... But the VTR is a finicky beast, and just increasing air with no other changes usually only decreases mileage... Some have managed to tune their bone stock bikes with a K&N to their satisfaction, usually with a lot of time spent... Some have just slapped it in there and called it good... Some of us have spent time and money trying the K&N and given up on it...

The closest you will get to a consensus around here is probably that on a bone stock bike, it doesn't give you any marked improvements unless you spend the time tuning it on a dyno, and even then, the difference is really only marginal...

So if you really want a cleanable and re-usable filter, and have the time and money to properly tune it, it's an option... If not, go with an OEM filter, the chance of success is much higher...

A caveat here... On a fully worked over engine, you get improvements, but make compromises in everyday driveability, as far as mileage and smoothness... I tried it, but didn't like it...
Old 04-01-2013, 02:08 AM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Gotcha. Thx. I'm fine with what I have then ha. OEM it is
Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Grand choice(OEM filter).. Tweety is direct and to the point...
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

How do I remove this thread?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
you don't. Let this thread serve as a warning to others! lol
Old 04-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Squid

scpt kirk is on a distinguished road
I can attest to what tweety said.....I am one of the few on here that has the kn filter and has it tuned properly. AND YES it takes way too much time and money to get it to run right.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:51 AM
Squid

Serenity is on a distinguished road
Question Intro & Oops

Greetings fellow Stormers,

I've just joined the forum.

I just bought and installed a K&N air filter for my '98 Firestorm. Rather wishing I'd read here first...

After the ride from Scotland to Morocco and back last year the old OEM filter was full of dust and crud, so I thought I'd treat the beastie to a washable air filter.

Took her for a test ride yesterday - running hot and lean, backfiring and lacking power. I had no idea that a wee air filter could make that much difference.

I'm about to pull the carbs and give them a good clean and re-sync, but from reading a few threads it sounds like re-jetting the carbs to work with the K&N might be a long and ultimately not very rewarding process.

So, having just spent money on a K&N, what am I to do? Put it on the shelf and go spend more money on an OEM? Seems like a waste. Is there anything that can be done to make these work? I'm not looking for more power - the VTR has more than I can use - plenty for touring and pulling up and down mountains. I just want her to run as well as possible.

Thoughts?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:23 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Serenity

So, having just spent money on a K&N, what am I to do? Put it on the shelf and go spend more money on an OEM? Seems like a waste. Is there anything that can be done to make these work? I'm not looking for more power - the VTR has more than I can use - plenty for touring and pulling up and down mountains. I just want her to run as well as possible.

Thoughts?
If you have access to a Dyno that will do Air Fuel readings .. yes it can be setup to run ok..... But as in the end there is no advantage, and likely you'll find several disadvantages to using it... The cost of a 1/2 dozen Dyno runs out weighs the cost of a new filter.

No Dyno? Then many hours of trial and error, and you will need a great understanding of HOW the carburetor systems work in general and specifically on a VTR as well as versed in what the felt symptoms are of a lean stumble, rich stumble, flame out, surge, hiccup ........
Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
So, having just spent money on a K&N, what am I to do? Put it on the shelf and go spend more money on an OEM?
Stick it on ebay and you may even get back what you paid for it as they have seemed to have increased in price recently with the increase in price of cotton.

(:-})
Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Serenity

Thoughts?
I've looked at my removed K&N a few times to see what options it offers.

Here are a couple of notes. It seems to help to somehow add the air dam on the front of the filter that the stock one has molded in. Others have tried this and have decent feedback on it. It has something to do with calming down the turbulence from what I remember. A piece of plastic glued on or something.

One other thing I have considered is getting some other thin filter element and attaching it onto the K&N to make a kind of filter layer cake effect. A couple of people on here have experimented with completely hacking the paper element of the stock one and throwing some kind of HVAC filter on there.

I'm not necessarily condoning these as I have not tried them, but they could get you started on ideas...
Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Back Marker

twinman is on a distinguished road
I have a brand new one! 85.00 plus shipping
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by whatthefnck
Gotcha. Thx. I'm fine with what I have then ha. OEM it is
Old 05-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
As stated before I am new to the SH and to sportbikes in general, but in the short experience I have with the bike I haven't noticed a difference between the OEM and KN filter. Changing from an OEM to a KN the PO gave with the bike, there was no "popping" on deceleration or a change in revs etc. He said it was re-jetted, and it has staintunes, but from what I read here that wouldn't "compensate" (for lack of a better word) for the extra flow of the KN. Is there any extra mods I should look for to cause this lack of change? Thanks for dealing with the inexperienced.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
It could be that you don't know how the bike is really supposed to run Name:  idunno.gif
Views: 231
Size:  4.4 KB
Old 05-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
That could be very true, making it run 'poorly' with both the OEM and KN, which for me is fine. It has more power than I need or care to explore at the moment. Lets just say that I have great respect for the throttle and do not plan to find its limits any time soon.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Squid

Serenity is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice. I've switched back to the OEM filter for now. If it aint broke, don't fix it I guess.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Back Marker

Appletonhawk is on a distinguished road
New here as well and wish I would have read this before buying the KN I just put in as well. Just got the bike and after going through it the filter looked to be factory so I wanted a new one and figured I would pop in the KN so that it was washable. Havn't had a chance to ride it yet since putting it in as it won't stop raining. Guess time will tell.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 PM
mad skill collector
Squid

YOUNGJESTER is on a distinguished road
Oh I know I am gonna regret this , I have a new K&N and can tell you what to do to make it work correctly. The mod I tried with good results was to cut a plastic dam that fits in the groove where the stock filter fits.
The K&N filter is missing this dam and I believe that is the reason for all the trouble with them. The airflow with the stock filter is different due to this dam ( air must pass over and then down) where the K&N air passes across the face and creates a bad resonant turbulence that results in a 3-4k rpm stumble. Filters are only different in that aspect as far as I can tell so let me know if you want to try it and I'll send it for the cost of shipping and two iridium plugs.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Since never seeing a stock airfilter before and my bike having came with what looks like some cobled together K&N filter, with a metal ring and rivits, can anybody post pictures of a proper K&N filter and also a stock air filter?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by YOUNGJESTER
Oh I know I am gonna regret this , I have a new K&N and can tell you what to do to make it work correctly. The mod I tried with good results was to cut a plastic dam that fits in the groove where the stock filter fits.
The K&N filter is missing this dam and I believe that is the reason for all the trouble with them. The airflow with the stock filter is different due to this dam ( air must pass over and then down) where the K&N air passes across the face and creates a bad resonant turbulence that results in a 3-4k rpm stumble. Filters are only different in that aspect as far as I can tell so let me know if you want to try it and I'll send it for the cost of shipping and two iridium plugs.
Where is the science to back this up? This experiment must be performed on 100000.0000000000099 superhawks before we can even consider it you insignificant little twit
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Angry

Originally Posted by jerryh
Where is the science to back this up? This experiment must be performed on 100000.0000000000099 superhawks before we can even consider it you insignificant little twit
Um really? I hope that was tongue-in-cheek, or you know the guy, 'cause that was awfully harsh and could be considered a personal attack, which is strictly forbidden on this forum.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 PM
MotoGP

^ that was totally tongue in cheek. I lol'd big time
Old 07-09-2013, 02:33 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
The K&N filter is missing this dam and I believe that is the reason for all the trouble with them.....
Mmmm this does not explain why the BMC street filter works which also does not have the dam. Also quite a few people have done the burniemorgan filter mod on a standard filter without experiencing the same symptoms as the K&N
I'm not saying your wrong and I like your way of thinking. Think outside the box so to speak LOL But this does need some evidence to back it up. Don't forget that lots of people have spent some time playing around with K&N's and experimenting with various changes to make it work, whether that be with the filter itself or with jetting.

Some peole have had good results with a K&N but I believe some considerable time has been taken on the dyno to get it running smooth throughout the rev range in all gears. Personally I played around for nearly a year but was never quite happy with it, would always get a flat spot somewhere that I just could not quite get rid off. I could move the spot around, but not get rid totally. I ended up going back to a BMC and went. Go figure. I have had good experiences with a K&N in the past with other bikes but for some reason not the VTR no.

(:-})
Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 PM
mad skill collector
Squid

YOUNGJESTER is on a distinguished road
The Info I gave was from my observations only , someone may not have made that observation. I am sure glad the creationists on here chimmed in to add their take on all this . now back to our regularly scheduled dead horse beating...(what tires/oil/color/jets should I buy?) lmao
RSRO...

Quick Reply: K&N air