Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Jardine RT One High Mounts -- Mounting Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Squid

mgw616
Jardine RT One High Mounts -- Mounting Question

Quick question. I recently purchased a 2002 SH with Jardine RT One high mounts installed.

I love the bike; it's a blast. But I've noticed that the left-side muffler is up against the left passenger peg (which are installed on extensions to clear the pipes), but the right-side muffler has about 1.5 inches or more between it and the peg.

What's my issue here? Do I have to loosen the left-side "up pipe" and try to get it further on the collector pipes underneath? If I have to do this, I've noticed some orange colored sealer where the pipes are joined - what is this stuff? Also if I can move the left side inward a bit, I think I'll have to rotate the "can" a bit in the upper mount -- where there's some white colored material under the mounting band around the muffler; any idea what this material is either?

If I do any mods I basically follow the instructions supplied, but I didn't get anything about the pipes with the bike; and I can't find anything to download from the Jardine website. Any help/info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 07:30 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the bike might have been dropped.

If the Jardine mounts are still made the same as they were when they first came out (99?), they are flimsy and will easily bend. Loosen everything and correct the spacing. You might have to bend the hanger bracket some.

The red stuff could be some kind of joint compound mixed with rust. This forms from condensation whenever the pipes don't get adequately hot enough to burn off water vapor present in the exhaust gases. It's a good idea to go ahead and remove both sides, clean and lube all joints with anti-seeze compound, and reinstall everything evenly.

The white material could be anything from road grime to left over wax. It's a good idea to periodically remove the clamps and clean/polish this covered area.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:16 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Jardine RT One High Mounts -- Mounting Question

Post some pics
Old 02-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Squid

mgw616
Re: Jardine RT One High Mounts -- Mounting Question

I will try posting some pics -- I work out of town during the week (home F-Su) so it won't be too soon.

But I may try disassembling and reassembling first (to see if it was a sloppy install or if the pipe has slipped since the install) -- if that doesn't work I promise you'll see some pics. :wink:
Old 06-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Squid

MotoRider is on a distinguished road
Jardine RT One High Mount Issues

Hello,

I recently purchased the Jardine RT One High Mount exhaust and ran into a similar problem with getting the system to mount properly. I found that the lower left side of the Jardine system that mounts to the stock header pipe would not slide on all the way. This caused the left side pipe to be misaligned with the right side. I tried sanding down the header pipe to shrink the diameter, hoping that the Jardine would slide in further. This didnt work so I tried using vice grips to expand the Jardine as another member had posted. This lead me to distorting the shape of the pipe so I bent it back before I made it worse. Ultimately, I had to cut about 1\4 inch off the stock header pipe. This allowed the Jardine to slide on to a point where I was able to make the canisters line up on both sides. I'm now a victim of the melted shoe syndrome. That is my next step in making the Jardines work for me...gonna try to get the melted shoe off and mount a set of Cobra 2 1/4 inch heat shields.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
First thing you want to do is head over to my house, then bolt them to my bike.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Squid

JesseW.
mine did the same thing, the left passenger peg hanger is made a little different from the right, there is more material right at the pipe, just grind some off the hanger.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:30 AM
Squid

KFRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
not to hijack this post but..... Anyone know if the RT1 round are louder than the oval? I like the look of round cans over oval but don't want to be too loud.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Squid

superbird is on a distinguished road
My black round high mounts were louder than the oval polished aluminum ones. The black ones are smaller. Jardine makes a reducer plug you can stick in the end of their mufflers too that tones 'em down a bit.