Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Internal Engine Mods for HP

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong
Internal Engine Mods for HP

Hello

I see that Moriwaki has some cams , pistons and the likes available for the SuperHawk .

Has anyone here performed internal engine mods using these or other parts and if so , what was the end result in terms of HP at the rear wheel ?

Anyone here just slip some pistons in , a little port work , jetting pipes and go ?

Nice new site BTW 8)
Old 10-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
I have a set of moriwaki cams installed along with a jet kit and ignition advancer and seem to have a substantial increase in the top end. I really need to invest in a full exhaust system to really take advantage of the cams though. I got the cams cheap so I couldn't refuse.

Haven't gotten it dynoed yet though. Just a "seat of the pants" feel.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:42 AM
Back Marker

Random
Re: Internal Engine Mods for HP

I picked up Mori's Lightened flywheel, but I've yet to install it. Should be in within a month.

While I've got it apart, I plan on replacing the clutch as well, as mine has shown some unpredictable behavior at times.

I'll give some feedback when I've done the swap.

I keep thinking of Cams/pistions, but I'm afraid of loosing the low end torque. cdyer77- Can you comment on at least the cams? Did you loose much (or any) of your low end performance?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:54 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

Excellent .

I would sure like to come up with all the stock cam specs vs the Moriwaki specs for comparison sakes .
Old 10-13-2004, 04:02 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

Random

I found the stock cam specs and it appears that possibly just buying a set of intake cams might be the ticket if they were set in at 102centerline and leave the exhaust up around 109 CL for streeters looking for more punch w/o low end and midrange loss .

Usually on a inline 4 with good exhaust ports a guy can run more duration on the intake than exhaust for boosted midrange like Yoshimura did during times of the two valve GS 750's/1000's . About all the Zukis come that way from the factory these days with low overall LCA's

I wonder why Honda uses so much more ex timing ? it is either that they have a relatively poor ex tract ot emmissions , the latter being more suspect .

Anyway stock duration intake @ .040 is 249 / ex is 272 with .400 and .435 lift respectively

Webcams intakes are 261@ .050 / 435 lift
Megacycles intakes .257 @ .040 / .443 lift
and a race intake they offer is 280 @ .040 - .450 lift ...too hot

Rule of thumb , for every 4 degrees a cam is advanced it will bring the power down by 4-500 rpm , not less power but same max power at a lower rpm and it appears these are ground to install around 102

Question :

Are these heads using canted valves ? Reason I ask is the valves may not clear one another during the overlap phase with a aftermarket intake and stock exhaust if canted valves are used .

I'l do some checking on this but in the meantime , I read here where there is a SH owner list where guys have their mods and HP listed in the info , where can i find this list ?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Back Marker

Random

Originally Posted by Rollingalong";p=&quot
Random
Question :
I read here where there is a SH owner list where guys have their mods and HP listed in the info , where can i find this list ?
http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/VTR/
Old 10-20-2004, 05:45 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

I think the chassis will handle more power and weakness will only be found on the race track . There's not that much more power to be had anyway but the drive quality can be enhanced signifigantly .

With help from Revolution Racing I've come up with this

) Standard UK bike = 102bhp @ R/Wheel
2) S/ons + Dynojet kit + K&N = 106 -108bhp @ R/W
3) All of 2) + Moriwaki ST1 cams into ported & gasflowed Heads = 116-118bhp @ R/W
4) All of 3) + Moriwaki pistons, Moriwaki Carbs & Standard airbox mods = 123-125bhp @ R/W
All the above are suitable for street usage
5) Stage 2 Endurance Racing spec = 134bhp @ R/W with Std modified air box. 142bhp @ R/W with full Ram Air system
6) Stage 3 Superbike spec = 155-158bhp @ R/W This requires special billet crankshaft.
5) & 6) above require full racing exhaust systems

The pistons will gain back the midrange to an extent thats lost by the cams . The Moriwaki slugs are 10.6 ratio while JE's are 11.5 I think .

I am not yet satisfied that these engines cannot be sleeved and a larger piston ran for more CC's . Engine development early on was for racing the twin in the 600 classes too so displacement was limited .

Those Moriwaki and Honda HRC billet cranks are gone and welding up the journals for stroking is always an iffy thing .

There is a German Company building these guys to 1120cc . Now if they are resleeving , stroking and or both I don't know . I have emailed them but no reply . I don't speak , read Germanic and will give them the benefit of the doubt the same for them concerning speaking, reading English .

I know some of you will not be interested in going too far with these engines . Those that are just post and I'll take time to post follow-ups about what I find out and ultimatley do . That is once I procure a used engine and tear into it and do some racesmithing to see if they will take a larger sleeve .

I will not kill the midrange on this twin , I want more of it and whats gained up top is icing on the cake .

Anyone who can read , speak German please send me a PM
Old 01-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

ChickenLover makes a good point about chassis limitations and the possible effects of going ape-**** with hp/torque mods. The VTR1000F chassis was reputedly designed with the suspended engine and swingarm--even the recommended OEM tires--in mind, and was designed to be for a "performance-minded street machine", the "world's finest V-twin all-arounder", yada, yada, yada. Translation: the VTR's chassis is reputedly a bit twitchy for track-day use and was not designed to be mounted on a race-oriented bike. To compensate for this, when Big Valley Honda built a VTR1000F for the track, they had Moriwaki Engineering both re-inforce the frame and create a one-off, RC-51-esque, swingarm. (See <http://www.bigvalleyhonda.com/racing/racing_team.html> )

(Taking this into account, when I build the one-off engine for SuperChicken III, I intend to break the 120 hp mark--with hold-onto-your-hat torque--, but also intend to either re-inforce the existing swingarm or add one that will retro-fit, to take away a bit of the twitchiness that the slightly wimpy stock swingarm might cause when coupled with the additional horsepower and torque.)

Another thing to take into account before going ape-**** with hp/torque mods is how one intends to use the modified VTR: If it is to be primarily for track use, one would arguably have a little more flexibliity, but if it is be primarily for sport-touring use, adding too much horsepower and torque to the stock chassis would arguably also limit comfortable riding-distance before one's feet would go numb from the extra vibration coming from foot pegs. (Note that the foot pegs would be mounted near the back of the beefed-up, frame-suspended engine.)

That said, let me add that WebCam will create custom-grind cams, less aggressive than track-oriented cams, but much ballsier than OEM. (SuperChicken II had a one-off cam, designed by Keith Wells--a former F4i race mechanic--, for "aggressive street-riding". SuperChicken II was fine for long-distance rides [500 miles a day]--the extra fun was well worth the extra vibrations--, but it was not as all-around comfortable on longer rides as a stock VTR is.)

cheers,
HotStreetVTR
Old 02-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

After kicking the idea round a bit, in tweaking SuperChicken III, I've decided that I will go with the one-off--soon-to-be "two off"--custom-grind WebCam racing cams that were designed by race mechanic Keith Wells for the now-stolen SuperChicken II. (WebCam still has the custom-grind specs in their computer database, listed under my name from when I had a cam lobe re-surfaced for SuperChicken II.) I might have chosen to go with more aggressive cams and have had a local sportbike-oriented machinist re-inforce the swingarm but now realize that, in doing so, I would also have to modify the way that the rear brake calipers mount. (I thought, "the heck with striving for 120+ hp: 117 rear-wheel hp is more-than-good-enough", as SuperChicken II was a magical thing--made a stock SuperHawk seem rather tame, which is saying something, as stock SuperHawks with slip-on exhaust offer heaps of torque-driven fun.

In addition to custom-grind cams, I will again go with JE forged pistons (with rings that are 50 thoudsandths over) and will again go with Ferrea ultra-light-weight valves (those yellow jobbies on their Web Site at http://www.ferrea.com

I will also again have the friction-exposed parts coated with Dicronite Dry Film Lubricant ( http://www.dicronite.com ), to extend engine life and provide a little extra "yee-hah" resulting from reduced engine friction.

Further, I will again have the heads ported and polished, as I did when rebuilding SuperChicken II. (I realize that VTR heads flow fairly well in stock configuration, but I'm a stickler for details and am going to go all the way with the thing while I have it torn-down.)

Regarding progress on the project, I have completed the suspension mods (Penske 8100 with canister--setup by Traxxion Dynamics--, Race Tech fork springs, and steering damper). I hope to have the paint completed this month--to get rid of the bogus paint job and goofy-looking stencil-pattern flames--and will move forward with the engine mods when the insurance settlement check resulting from the accident that killed SuperChicken I arrives.

After the engine modification is complete and SuperChicken III has been dyno-tuned, I will scan a hard copy of the dyno chart and post it as a JPEG image in my "Album" folder.

cheers,
HotStreetVTR
Old 02-28-2005, 12:08 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

wow! sweeeet
Old 01-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Squid

jealousyhertz

Can you tell me where you got the flywheel? Thanks