Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Interest in caliper adaptors for 310 mm rotors?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Interest in caliper adaptors for 310 mm rotors?

As some of you may know, 1997-98 CBR1100XX (and RC45) front rotors have the same bolt pattern as our stock rotors but have the benefit of an additional 14 mm in diameter (310 mm vs 296 for stock units). The other differences are related to the offest, which is 21.1 mm as opposed to 17.2 mm on the VTR units. So, for anyone running either stock or CBR900RR forks (I am running the latter), it is possible to mount up a set of 1100XX rotors and enjoy added braking power if the calipers can be moved back slightly (7 mm, to acccount for added diameter) and outwards slightly (3.9 mm, to compensate for added offset). Similar brackets have been built (EBC used to offer a kit for 320 mm rotors, or have a look at the ones found on MCLeather's 900RR forks). Given the previous info, I am interested in gauging interest in the possibility of having just such brackets made. So, my questions, then, are the following:

1) does anyone have the design skills or access to the means necessary to draw up the required brackets?
2) Who would possibly be interested in buying in to such a project (assuming we could have some drawn up and built for a reasonable price)?

Now, as I don't want this to become the second coming of the velocity stack discussions, if you have no interest or have nothing positive to contribute, please do me and any other possible interested parties a favour and keep your naysaying to yourself.

Thanks for your time

cheers

Last edited by mikstr; 12-30-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:28 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Sure, I've designed similar parts for other bikes. What I can tell you is that they aren't the cheapest parts in the world to make. Even so, if there is interest I would love to design them up and work out what the cost would be.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:16 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Ask Centralcoaster what the rotors and brackets he has on his bike are from.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 AM
MotoGP

Thanks Jamie
Old 12-31-2009, 12:10 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Interested, but the price is gonna have to be reasonable as new rotors will have to purchased as well.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:03 PM
MotoGP

I just sent Spondon Engineering in the UK an e-mail as they used to offer a kit for the 900RR (which would make it workable for the VTR too). I also PM'd CentralCoaster to enquire a bout his set-up (seems to be the same as what Caffeineracer ran on his VTR).

Jamie, any idea on a ballpark figure for the brackets?

cheers
Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Kneedraggers used to offer a kit of some sort for the VTR forks too. I have not seen it for a while, but you may be able to find some info on it. It may give you some ideas.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:32 PM
MotoGP

Thanks Shayne. I had saved the link after someone on the ozfirestorm site has posted it. Unfortunately, the link is no longer operational (they likely discontinued them). I just finished e-mailing Braketech, the people who built it.

I just checked the EBC catalogue and found the oversize (320 mm) rotors they (used to?) offer for the CBR600F3. The part numbers are MD709LD (left) and MD709RD (right). They used to offer caliper adaptors but I never found any info in their 2006 catalogue...

Last edited by mikstr; 12-31-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:42 PM
SuperSport

That would explain why I could not find it. Like a lot of stuff, the bike is discontinued so parts are no longer made for them.

Making a bracket should be doable, but flex would be my main worry with it. Not sure what sort of loads would be on them, but anything that twisted them would be bad. It would need to be pretty strong.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:44 AM
SuperBike

I think one of the most difficult parts is going to be availability of rotors. When I bought my CBRXX rotors from EBC they were the last set in the whole US. Going with Ø320mm would be ok, again providing that rotors can be bought in that size.

I'm guessing somewhere in the $175-200 for a set of caliper relocation brackets. Maybe less if I can get some quantity behind it (yeah, right!).
Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 PM
SuperSport

You might have to get custom made rotors for them. I had to do this with mine, due to the wheel specs.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:11 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by shayne
You might have to get custom made rotors for them. I had to do this with mine, due to the wheel specs.
CBR1100XX rotors mount right up. They are 310 mm but use a slightly different offset (could be worked into the design of the brackets).
Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Now, as I don't want this to become the second coming of the velocity stack discussions, if you have no interest or have nothing positive to contribute, please do me and any other possible interested parties a favour and keep your naysaying to yourself.
Awh, you are no fun! lol.

I think this is a great idea! It doesn't apply to me since I am running a USD front end, but for those with the stock front it'd be an easy (if not cheap due to rotor availability) upgrade.

How is it that you keep picking projects that are interesting but also expensive? (my only beef w the stacks was the cost vs return, this seems like a very tangible return)
Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by lazn
How is it that you keep picking projects that are interesting but also expensive?
Trust me, it is not my objective to focus on the expensive ones I have also found some cheap ones too (airbox and snorkel mods) but once those run out, you inevitably turn to the costlier options..... It`s not easy being a compulsive modder, lol (may have to look at starting a Modder`s Anonymous support group, somehow I sense Tweety could launch our European arm too, he he)
Old 01-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Trust me, it is not my objective to focus on the expensive ones I have also found some cheap ones too (airbox and snorkel mods) but once those run out, you inevitably turn to the costlier options..... It`s not easy being a compulsive modder, lol (may have to look at starting a Modder`s Anonymous support group, somehow I sense Tweety could launch our European arm too, he he)
Hey!... I was staying out of this thread as I'm already running bigger rotors courtesy of an USD fork... But yeah, I'll found the EU branch...

Like said... When you run out of inexpensive tweaks, the costly one's keep nagging you... And since I can't resist fiddling I'm usualy loosing that battle sooner or later... I think mikstr works in similar ways...
Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 AM
SuperBike

The 80/20 rule is in full effect here! You get 80% of the gains for the first 20% of the effort. The last 20% is what takes all of the work (read: money).