General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Testing interest...lowering kit for the SH

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
Testing interest...lowering kit for the SH

Okay I know this is kind of a repost but I have some independent progress. I like some of you do not have my feet totally on the ground. Now there obviously are not many options...so I have been reading. I talked to Eli and EFR racing and he said he would have to fabricate a piece that lowers the bike in the rear and of course I would have to lower the front to match. He estimates he can get the rear lowered an inch to inch and a half. So heres the deal it would be really expensive for me to pay and do this on my own.

So I was wondering if there was anyone else interested in a piece like the one I want to get, so I can try to propose a guarenteed group buy to get the price lowered so we can all equally get a common goal. If I get enough members interested to his liking and we agree on a suitable share of the cost amongest ourselves maybe we all can get something good out of this. He said my bike would go under the knife and take approx a week to produce a final product. I can not say how long to produce for everyone else because I would think I needed a number in interested members to get an estimate from him. Also he would be work with the stock spring and shock.

Hopefully I gets some insight on if this is a good idea and maybe some interest to get the ball rolling!

Interested in estimation:
1. Me
2. SuperMike
3. Kendrick
4. Little Squirt
Hopefully more will come foward I am sure the more the better the price.

Last edited by supermonie; 07-26-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
+1

I am about 5' 9", and short legged, so I can't put both feet flat. I haven't had the SH for long, but as I look at the suspension settings, it seems like I should be able to lower the front and rear a little bit. Looks to me like the PO has it jacked up to the max. No clue how much adjustment there is on the stock suspension.

Anyway, I am interested in lowering it a bit. Problem is, there are so many upgrades I want to do to this bike, I would have to put lowering it, low on my list of priorities. All of that said, please add me to the count of interested parties, I would like to find out what the piece would cost.

Thanks for doing all of work for our benefit!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:01 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Springbubba;

I'm 5'9" and can put both feet flat (just) on the ground even with rear spring on 3 and a 4mm spacer over the shock. I've got a 31" inseam so maybe a bit longer than you but you might want to check and see if the PO put a spacer on top of the shock (lots of guys have) and pull it if he did.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:33 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
I'm interested. I wouldn't mind being able to flat foot my bike. It just depends upon at what price, but for estimate purposes count me in.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Back Marker

TheRezyReb is on a distinguished road
Are you sure you wnat to do this? It lacks ground clearance as it is. Besides you don't ride with your feet down do you?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TheRezyReb
Are you sure you wnat to do this? It lacks ground clearance as it is. Besides you don't ride with your feet down do you?
I was thinking the same thing. Don't know if there is something else that can be done for you guys. Don't know if a couple unequal length brackets could lower the tail sub-frame or something. Thank God I'm 6'5". That was a major selling point on this bike.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:31 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
A possible cheaper alternative would be a used shorter rear shock and raise the forks in the front triples to match.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:04 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Yeah, but tipping over at intersections is embarassing. Some times when you go to put your feet down and it was a close fit in the first place, you find a pothole instead and start to tip. Frame sliders were a good choice.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

Yes this is one thing you do lose, I did discuss it with him. I also agree with kendrick I tipped my bike over at a gas station once and it was over a lose of balance on my height. I can ride on it all day its balance when its stopped is the problem I will wait till I have about five people interested or hopefully more.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:29 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
With me personally at 5'6" and short inseam.. I cannot see why anyone would really want to lower a bike that already suffers from too little ground clearance?

You do have to learn to be comfortable on the bike for sure,, but this is done with just some time and experience, bikes in general and the seating position of the SH specifically. If it’s an issue of strength to be able to hold the bike while not being flat footed, or hold the bike up if it’s a little off balance to one side.. You might be better served if you worked on those issues, then creating more by lowering it. It drags now,, only going to get worse once lowered. Unsettling the suspension in a corner because it crashes into contact with the ground is going to be a bigger deal then a tip over in a parking lot.

Again, to each his own, if this has all been considered, and the best choice for you is lowering,, then go for it. Just wanted to share an opinion for thought.

best of luck with finding a few folks to go in on a custom suspension link
Old 05-31-2008, 07:36 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbling
A possible cheaper alternative would be a used shorter rear shock and raise the forks in the front triples to match.
+1 Superbling on raising forks in triple and preloading rear shock to lower bike and has an added bonus of making the bike turn in faster...just don't leave the rear too high cuz it becomes twitchy at higher speeds...not that I'd know about that

Last edited by FL02SupaHawk996; 05-31-2008 at 07:37 AM. Reason: spelling:(
Old 05-31-2008, 11:26 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
How much is "really expensive"? Although the work I've done has been aimed at raising the rear, lowering it isn't rocket science. If you are interested in something like a lowering link for the rear suspension let me know, I might be able to make this for a decent price. My CNC guy owes me anyway!
Old 05-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Squid

jaeger is on a distinguished road
Im 5'7 and lowered my last hawk, with a custom link on the rear. And that was what put me down at deals gap. I decked the bike out on the left side and lost the rear. I now have a 25mm spacer on the rear and lowered the front 10mm. With the gen mar risers I still sit like stock but god what a differance.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
How much is "really expensive"? Although the work I've done has been aimed at raising the rear, lowering it isn't rocket science. If you are interested in something like a lowering link for the rear suspension let me know, I might be able to make this for a decent price. My CNC guy owes me anyway!
I mean he wants 500 bucks okay but not for labor just to design it and have a working product but if I can spread the cost over like 10 of these links than it would not be that bad. I am very comfertable with the bike I mean more emergency now.

My buddy and I went out for a quick run today and a truck pulled out of a driveway without checking the street we were riding on and almost hit me. Now as he was entering onto the street, our right of way I had to brake hard with front and rear fully pulled in and pushed down and you bet I laid the horn on him too. My bike skidded the rear to the right. Didnt drop THANK YOU but still I definitley had a small problem placing my feet on the ground due to the circumstances. I thought fast and I reacted well I believe because I am in one piece and my bike is too. I just want to make sure if this happens again which it probably will dang Illinois cagers. that I did everything to my bike that will hopefully help me to avoid a crash you know. Thanks for the comments I REALLY do appriciate them but after today I think lowering it a little will help me.

BTW is was day light and I was driving the speed limt so there was no crazy driving involved by me.

Last edited by supermonie; 05-31-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:31 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Wow, that seems pretty steep. There's not a whole lot of design work involved with a lowering link. I'm fairly good with 3-D modeling if that's whats required. It's kind of my job.

Glad to hear you pulled through your incident no worse for wear.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Kendrick
Wow, that seems pretty steep. There's not a whole lot of design work involved with a lowering link. I'm fairly good with 3-D modeling if that's whats required. It's kind of my job.

Glad to hear you pulled through your incident no worse for wear.
We'll see he is kind of well known out here he builds turbo kits for bikes I think thats why its steep because you know you are kind of paying for the name...who knows. Here is his site, check him out, and tell me what you think I kind of wanted to go with someone reputable out here rather than a hack.

http://www.efrracing.com/
Old 07-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Back Marker

little squirt is on a distinguished road
i would love to lower my bike about 1"
Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

Originally Posted by little squirt
i would love to lower my bike about 1"
added I am just waiting for a few more people before I go to EFR and propose the group buy estitmate.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
I have got to say, when you proposed this idea it seemed like something I would be able to use. Here I am a couple thousand miles later, and after some basic suspension tweaks, I don't think investing in lowering the bike is something I need to do. I have learned to love my SH.

Right now I am the point that the weak *** front springs are the problem I need to deal with.

Sorry for backing out on you. I hope it works out for you.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Squid

SuperMike is on a distinguished road
Yeah i am with you about 1.5 in would plant my feet firmly on the ground regardless of terrain. I love the hawk! I wonder why there are not prefab kits like there are for other bikes.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Springbubba
I have got to say, when you proposed this idea it seemed like something I would be able to use. Here I am a couple thousand miles later, and after some basic suspension tweaks, I don't think investing in lowering the bike is something I need to do. I have learned to love my SH.

Right now I am the point that the weak *** front springs are the problem I need to deal with.

Sorry for backing out on you. I hope it works out for you.
Its cool I have grown used the bike too but I wouldn't mind it lowered a little.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

Originally Posted by SuperMike
Yeah i am with you about 1.5 in would plant my feet firmly on the ground regardless of terrain. I love the hawk! I wonder why there are not prefab kits like there are for other bikes.
I'll ad you to the list NO Commitment just waiting till a get a small group that I can pitch the idea to him.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Sorry to thread jack.. but Supermike has found someone that'll do it for $70 ea.. and he's offering the contact info..

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=15556
Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Cleveland
Sorry to thread jack.. but Supermike has found someone that'll do it for $70 ea.. and he's offering the contact info..

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=15556
not bad but if I had 10 members I might be able to get it 50 a member

testing interest spring is coming soon!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:09 AM
kneeedragger
Squid

ericb269 is on a distinguished road
I am in just tell me how much and when thx guys
Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 AM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
Are you considering what this will do to the rear suspension? You are changing the angle, thus it changes the spring rate needed for a given load.
Lots of guys that put lowering links on their dirt bikes end up removing them, or having to respring after to make up the difference. (they were usually ticked if they'd already re-sprung for their weight)
You're changing geometry there, and that's going to affect handling. Some way. You will be the Guinea pigs.

Last edited by MLB; 03-04-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:22 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MLB
Are you considering what this will do to the rear suspension? You are changing the angle, thus it changes the spring rate needed for a given load.
Lots of guys that put lowering links on their dirt bikes end up removing them, or having to respring after to make up the difference. (they were usually ticked if they'd already re-sprung for their weight)
You're changing geometry there, and that's going to affect handling. Some way. You will be the Guinea pigs.
so.....can't we just adjust the dampening on the rear shock? or do we need to actually replace the spring coil?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:06 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
How much could it feasibly be lowered? I'm surprised it can't be done with a rear shock from a different bike.

That would be cool if my g/f could touch her toes on it... although I'd have to be under the influence to consider letting her ride it, too pristine.

I can put both my feet flat, and the other day I was starting out on a slight side hill in a parking lot when another biker cut closely in front of me by surprise. If I was shorter and tip-toeing it, I probably would've dropped the bike. People on their tip toes drop their bikes all the time in parking lots. It's because by the time you get good footing, the bike is already tipped that much further, and maybe too late to catch it.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
A shock from an F4/F4i is 40mm shorter... That should drop you down a lot... Then compensate some of that possibly and you should still be able to drop some height...

And if re-sprung/re-valved it's a considerably better shock in terms of performance than the OEM one... See the OEM rebuild thread for the whole discussion...

(For the record though... I'm against the concept of lowering the SH as it introduces a whole can of worms regarding ground clearence...)
Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 PM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nothing
so.....can't we just adjust the dampening on the rear shock? or do we need to actually replace the spring coil?
Haven't a clue.
I'm just passing on what I've read on my dirt bike sites. it varies by the bike and what type of suspension linkage (or lack of) it has.
Might be a tiny little difference. Might be significant.
Just be aware of it. ($$)

Quick Reply: Testing interest...lowering kit for the SH