Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Increasing Slow/Pilot Jets from #45 to #55

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:19 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
When all is said and done, here's what you're gonna need;

http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687...-D11/Source/HO
Old 05-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1

LOL!

I gots a whole one and the topless one, so I'm ready either way come what may...

Old 05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's what I think:

You're afraid of how much torque that thing's capable of, so you are looking for excuses NOT to have to ride it.

It's the only possible explanation.

By the time you get finished F%$ing with it, it'll be too hot and miserable in Florida to go riding. Then it will be bike racing season - no time to ride. You're looking at another whole year before you have to subject yourself to the TORQUE MONSTER (oooohh, scary).

But the reality is, if you just put it together and ride it, it will be just like your other engine, only more so. I'm just sure that Honda engineers didn't leave a bunch of horsepower on the table because they like little black plastic airboxes.

Or maybe they're just not very thorough...

Last edited by RCVTR; 05-26-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:58 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RCVTR
Here's what I think:

You're afraid of how much torque that thing's capable of, so you are looking for excuses NOT to have to ride it.

It's the only possible explanation.

By the time you get finished F%$ing with it, it'll be too hot and miserable in Florida to go riding. Then it will be bike racing season - no time to ride. You're looking at another whole year before you have to subject yourself to the TORQUE MONSTER (oooohh, scary).

But the reality is, if you just put it together and ride it, it will be just like your other engine, only more so. I'm just sure that Honda engineers didn't leave a bunch of horsepower on the table because they like little black plastic airboxes.

Or maybe they're just not very thorough...
I am scared! This sucker is gonna make me scream like a little girl while all the time holding on only by my finger tips

It's already too stinkin hot down here to ride I was sittin in traffic last week due to an accident on the interstate that backed up cages for miles and once the H20 temp hit 245 I hit the breakdown lane!

As for racin season, that's year round for me cuz if I'm not racing road then I'm racin dirt!

Honda never meant for the SH to be a race platform...it's my understanding that they engineered it to compete with Ducati by makin it more affordable to buy & maintain and easier to ride fast then a Duc, so for pedestrian power delivery they engineered that black plastic box leaving LOTS of horses back in the barn that I'm trying to round up, so keep your panties on and we'll eventually see what she can do w/o the over-engineered airbox

Last edited by FL02SupaHawk996; 05-27-2010 at 06:00 AM. Reason: spell
Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 AM
SuperBike

Sounds good.
I'm glad you're not taking my rib-poking too seriously, but...

Bob Hayashida built arguably the fastest VTR in the country, limited only by the cost to take it to the next level, flexible chassis and impending release of the RC51.

He ran a stock airbox and filter.

He also saw no improvement with a Moriwaki airbox on the RC51 until he got to stage 3 with the engine and exhaust system.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Sounds good.
I'm glad you're not taking my rib-poking too seriously, but...

Bob Hayashida built arguably the fastest VTR in the country, limited only by the cost to take it to the next level, flexible chassis and impending release of the RC51.

He ran a stock airbox and filter.

He also saw no improvement with a Moriwaki airbox on the RC51 until he got to stage 3 with the engine and exhaust system.
Does Bob have any strong cranks still laying around?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 AM
SuperBike

Nope. That was one of the cost limitations. They only made something like 8-12 of those cranks and they were hugely expensive.

He used a lightened, stock crank and Carillo rods. He broke 2-3 cranks during testing and racing. Broken cranks weren't nearly as catastrophic as a broken wrist pin. A connecting rod flailing around at 11,000 rpm saws an engine case mostly in half before you can get it stopped.

He described a discussion with Mamoru Moriwaki about stage 3 cams. Mr. Moriwaki said something like "We have camshaft make more horsepower, but broken crankshaft 100%."

Last edited by RCVTR; 05-27-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:52 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1

Nope. He's gonna unleash all those horses left in there.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Nope. That was one of the cost limitations. They only made something like 8-12 of those cranks and they were hugely expensive.

He used a lightened, stock crank and Carillo rods. He broke 2-3 cranks during testing and racing. Broken cranks weren't nearly as catastrophic as a broken wrist pin. A connecting rod flailing around at 11,000 rpm saws an engine case mostly in half before you can get it stopped.

He described a discussion with Mamoru Moriwaki about stage 3 cams. Mr. Moriwaki said something like "We have camshaft make more horsepower, but broken crankshaft 100%."
That figures, so I'll just wait till you're done with my RC51 before I go to STG2
Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 AM
SuperBike

I'm stuck in my own OCMD whirlpool. More on that later.

I haven't even started on your RC51. Still working on mine.'
Wait. I didn't know you had an RC51.

Stage 2 is fine with a VTR engine. If you can find cams and exhaust system and ecu and oil sump and valve springs. And want to pay for rods and crank work. and reinforce the chassis.

Stage 1 is a better option for a street bike. And with a stock airbox, it runs great!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Incidentally, I wrote Roger D to enquire about the broken crank issues and he informed me that it only becomes an issue when very aggressive cams are used. The issue, in eseence, is the sharp bevel located adjacent to the bobweights. As the cam drives are right next to it, the added stress causes the crank to break right at the bevel. He noted that the billet cranks have a much more gradual bevel which resolved the problem.