Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

HyperVTR

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
HyperVTR

Hi All, yup, I'm new here.. I had a May of 97 VTR that I put over 30K miles on, then went RC51, then raced a CBRF4i, 929, then rode dirt-only for 6 years with a CR500R. Last year I succumbed to the purchase of an 07 GSXR 750, love it.

Now, I went to a Ducati test ride this last saturday where I rode (twice) the new Duc HyperMotard. Like many, I'm leery of the Duc maintenance intervals$ and lack of durability and 14k price tag.
Long story short, I'm considering purchasing a beater VTR and transforming it (on the cheap) to some sort version of a HyperMotard. Having Honda reliability, and relatively low cost, this project caught my eye.

Has anyone done this? I'm looking to create a local hooligan ripper ...

1) I want to lose all the body work, including the tail/mod the stock subframe and utilize a Motard-type seat.
2) A single, front mounted radiator to streamline the profile even more.
3) A thinner/NC31 type gas tank (2-3 gallons is fine)
4) 929 or RC51 forks, brakes etc.

Thanks for all responses, as I'm not terrible creative, lollz.

Last edited by Kelevra; 09-02-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:42 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
sounds cool - do some searches - lots of options and experience here with most all of those mods and is very possible. You will wear people out be asking them to repeat it all. search and then ask if still some focused and specific questions.
welcome
Old 09-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Back Marker

Anyone have any knowledge concerning adding a front radiator in lieu of the two side mounts or modifying/changing the Subframe to accept a slimmer, hypermotard type seat?

Last edited by Kelevra; 09-02-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:22 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
A few people have done the radiator, if you look in the modification sections. Kai Ju even put a radiator in the tail section.. but that's a different project entirely.

IIRC it is fairly easy as it is already setup to hold the oil cooler up there, a few custom hoses and a largeish radiator and you should be good to go.

edit: a quick search came up with this: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=11326
and: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=10602

Last edited by lazn; 09-02-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Back Marker

Cool, I'll do some more reading up.

With regard to changing the tank to a slimmer one, I see some have removed their airboxes and replaced with 2 simple filters. How much do you think the bike loses power wise with this mod? I'm trying to trim as much weight as possible off the bike yet still retain 100+rwhp.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:58 PM
MotoGP

Getting it to run right without the airbox is a HUGE pain in the ***. And the airbox itself doesn't weigh a whole lot. Before messing with the airbox on a Superhawk I'd look into a SV1000 or other bike with fuel injection.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by lazn
Getting it to run right without the airbox is a HUGE pain in the ***. And the airbox itself doesn't weigh a whole lot. Before messing with the airbox on a Superhawk I'd look into a SV1000 or other bike with fuel injection.
I really didn't plan on removing it, especially not for weight reduction, but it does seem to create a lot of space when it's gone. I like the carbs on the VTR. As long as I can get a slimmer tank on it, or mod the stock tank I'll gladly keep the airbox.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:14 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I knwo they cost a small fortune, but there are front rad kits for the RC51... I'd think they would be a reasonable place to start a front rad project if you don't want to bin hunt/trial and error for used parts off other bikes.

J.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
I knwo they cost a small fortune, but there are front rad kits for the RC51... I'd think they would be a reasonable place to start a front rad project if you don't want to bin hunt/trial and error for used parts off other bikes.

J.
I certainly appreciate the advice, but I'm really doing this on the cheapcheap. I plan on selling off the residual bodywork, and using a very minimalistic approach. Really, I love that Duc HM, but the price is absurd, and I'm sure the engine wouldn't last half as long as the VTR's.
Bottom line: I want great forks/brakes/master from a CBR1000rr or RC51, rear shock, lighter wheels, mod or replace the tank with something smaller and lighter for local romps. Prolly motard style seat/bars too..

So the VFR radiator, is this a drop in, or does it have to be cut? Have people relocated the oil cooler or keep it where it is?

Last edited by Kelevra; 09-02-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:07 AM
MotoGP

Bars are easy.. there are several threads on installing them on the SH and since you are removing the faring you won't have the interference issues normally associated w this.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:14 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Kelevra
I certainly appreciate the advice, but I'm really doing this on the cheapcheap. I plan on selling off the residual bodywork, and using a very minimalistic approach. Really, I love that Duc HM, but the price is absurd, and I'm sure the engine wouldn't last half as long as the VTR's.
Bottom line: I want great forks/brakes/master from a CBR1000rr or RC51, rear shock, lighter wheels, mod or replace the tank with something smaller and lighter for local romps. Prolly motard style seat/bars too..

So the VFR radiator, is this a drop in, or does it have to be cut? Have people relocated the oil cooler or keep it where it is?
Honestly.... "cheap cheap" and RC51 front end (or equivilant), rear shock, and lighter wheels don't go together... your looking at 500 (great deal) to 900 for a RC front, and anywhere from 450-800 for a rear shock... wheels are fairly expensive as well I'd bet inthe 1K range... granted you can use the cash for your used parts, but it's gonna cost you some real money regardless to do what your looking for unless you get real lucky finding used parts.

J.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Here's my project...
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...t=experimental

Custom subframe and seat cowl & headlight mount... The stock tank has been modified to remove the handelbar indents... Other changes include:
Dymag Magnesium Wheels (6" rear), Heli bars, Staintunes, 520 chain conversion with ~10% lower gearing, Penske shock, Racetech fork springs, SpeedoHealer, Carbonfiber fenders, and a bunch of little stuff.

Name:  VTR-experimental103s.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  163.0 KB

Name:  DSCF0101.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  157.6 KB

Last edited by RonVTR; 09-03-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RonVTR
Here's my project...
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...t=experimental

Custom subframe and seat cowl & headlight mount... The stock tank has been modified to remove the handelbar indents... Other changes include:
Dymag Magnesium Wheels (6" rear), Heli bars, Staintunes, 520 chain conversion with ~10% lower gearing, Penske shock, Racetech fork springs, SpeedoHealer, Carbonfiber fenders, and a bunch of little stuff.

quite the bubble butt
Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Back Marker

That's pretty cool Ron, nice bike!
I'm looking to do something similar, but streamline the 'ell out of it.
Where can you trip off weight off this bike? I know casting the twins adds weight, wondering what I can do short of lighter wheels..
Old 09-03-2008, 05:16 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
that is a pretty sweet bike ron. ive always liked the naked look.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Back Marker

The more I think about what I want, the more I want an old 88 Hawk GT, with a VTR 996 engine installed. Possible?
If so, how hard would this be to do?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Originally Posted by sassage
quite the bubble butt
Why... Thank you
Old 09-03-2008, 07:55 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Removing the airbox will raise several issues but it will help when adding a new (smaller) tank since most tank/airboxes are an exact match.

An RC51 (that's not a VFR) front rad system is big bucks: $1000 new/used 6-700. Since you're in NY (cooler clime), I'd seriously look at the rear rad mod. (search: kai ju) Search 2-1 exhaust (for weight) and streetfighter for more ideas. A single side swingarm (SSSA) can be done too.

Oh and due to your avatar: post often. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Where can you trip off weight off this bike? I know casting the twins adds weight, wondering what I can do short of lighter wheels..
Most of my weight savings was with the magnesium wheels and 520 chain conversion with aluminum rear sprocket (-20 lbs). I've dropped the steel front fairing mount, steel rear sub-frame, fairing & all the plastic [except battery box] (-10 lbs). Added, the new abbreviated aluminum sub-frame, headlamp, shortened stock seat (+5 lbs). Stock exhaust swapped with Staintune & Two Bros header (-5 lbs). Miscellaneous stuff like PAIR system, seat lock, turn signals, passenger pegs and brackets (-5 lbs). My guesstimate is I've removed about 35 to 40 lbs total.

So realistically, this bike's wet weight is about 435 lbs (stock is 474). Not bad, but not stellar either. If you were to go after the greatest possible savings you could also select a lighter battery, lighter tires, use some tank foam to reduce fuel capacity, etc. etc. etc.

What is not obvious from the 'numbers' is how lively the Superhawk has become... Turn-in is much faster... Acceleration is brisk... Overall it's a fun toy, a little puppy of a bike that is always ready to play.

I was courious... so per the Ducati website, the Hypermotard weighs in at 395 lbs (The Ducati weight excludes battery, lubricants and, where applicable, cooling liquid.) For comparison the Superhawk's "dry weight" is 425 lbs. That makes my bike about 385 lbs.

Ducatti sez the Hypermotard makes 90 hp. My Superhawk with jetting and aftermarket mufflers dyno'd at 104 RWHP. I understand that this is a typical for most VTRs with the same mods.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by superbling
Removing the airbox will raise several issues but it will help when adding a new (smaller) tank since most tank/airboxes are an exact match.

An RC51 (that's not a VFR) front rad system is big bucks: $1000 new/used 6-700. Since you're in NY (cooler clime), I'd seriously look at the rear rad mod. (search: kai ju) Search 2-1 exhaust (for weight) and streetfighter for more ideas. A single side swingarm (SSSA) can be done too.

Oh and due to your avatar: post often. Thanks.
hehe, thanks, she was a brief relationship, but I have no regrets, lollz.
There has got to be a radiator that fits in there without the big bucks of the RC51. I mean I want to spend money, on a rear penske or ohlins shock, as well as a CBR1K or equiv front end resprung with Racetech etc.

Originally Posted by RonVTR
Most of my weight savings was with the magnesium wheels and 520 chain conversion with aluminum rear sprocket (-20 lbs). I've dropped the steel front fairing mount, steel rear sub-frame, fairing & all the plastic [except battery box] (-10 lbs). Added, the new abbreviated aluminum sub-frame, headlamp, shortened stock seat (+5 lbs). Stock exhaust swapped with Staintune & Two Bros header (-5 lbs). Miscellaneous stuff like PAIR system, seat lock, turn signals, passenger pegs and brackets (-5 lbs). My guesstimate is I've removed about 35 to 40 lbs total.

So realistically, this bike's wet weight is about 435 lbs (stock is 474). Not bad, but not stellar either. If you were to go after the greatest possible savings you could also select a lighter battery, lighter tires, use some tank foam to reduce fuel capacity, etc. etc. etc.

What is not obvious from the 'numbers' is how lively the Superhawk has become... Turn-in is much faster... Acceleration is brisk... Overall it's a fun toy, a little puppy of a bike that is always ready to play.

I was courious... so per the Ducati website, the Hypermotard weighs in at 395 lbs (The Ducati weight excludes battery, lubricants and, where applicable, cooling liquid.) For comparison the Superhawk's "dry weight" is 425 lbs. That makes my bike about 385 lbs.

Ducatti sez the Hypermotard makes 90 hp. My Superhawk with jetting and aftermarket mufflers dyno'd at 104 RWHP. I understand that this is a typical for most VTRs with the same mods.
Very good info Ron, thanks! Yeah, I have little desire to get the Duc, especially when I know I can do so much more with the VTR...

Here are a few pix of a fellas Hawk GT that he modified, front end & RS125 tail, etc. Give the bike a totally different stance.. I'm considering the 88 Hawk GT as I may be able to get one in decent shape for under $800- But it will never have the snarl like the 996 does, what to do.
Attached Thumbnails HyperVTR-normal_2008bikepics004%7E1.jpg   HyperVTR-rs125-tailed-hawk.jpg  

Last edited by Kelevra; 09-03-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:52 PM
MotoGP

Looking at the old GT, here is a sweet one for sale here: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=15946 (I know nothing about the seller, but it is a nice bike)

I have no clue if the SH's motor can be swapped in.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Back Marker

Yeah, that really is a nice bike...
Old 09-10-2008, 03:40 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
hehe, thanks, she was a brief relationship, but I have no regrets, lollz.
There has got to be a radiator that fits in there without the big bucks of the RC51. I mean I want to spend money, on a rear penske or ohlins shock, as well as a CBR1K or equiv front end resprung with Racetech etc.

Very good info Ron, thanks! Yeah, I have little desire to get the Duc, especially when I know I can do so much more with the VTR...

Here are a few pix of a fellas Hawk GT that he modified, front end & RS125 tail, etc. Give the bike a totally different stance.. I'm considering the 88 Hawk GT as I may be able to get one in decent shape for under $800- But it will never have the snarl like the 996 does, what to do.

i had a hawk gt,with a two brothers full exhaust and hrc jet kit.
that thing had a hell of a bark.
not nearly as much power as the shawk but tons of fun in the twisties.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:44 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi All, yup, I'm new here.. I had a May of 97 VTR that I put over 30K miles on, then went RC51, then raced a CBRF4i, 929, then rode dirt-only for 6 years with a CR500R. Last year I succumbed to the purchase of an 07 GSXR 750, love it.

Now, I went to a Ducati test ride this last saturday where I rode (twice) the new Duc HyperMotard. Like many, I'm leery of the Duc maintenance intervals$ and lack of durability and 14k price tag.
Long story short, I'm considering purchasing a beater VTR and transforming it (on the cheap) to some sort version of a HyperMotard. Having Honda reliability, and relatively low cost, this project caught my eye.

Has anyone done this? I'm looking to create a local hooligan ripper ...

1) I want to lose all the body work, including the tail/mod the stock subframe and utilize a Motard-type seat.
2) A single, front mounted radiator to streamline the profile even more.
3) A thinner/NC31 type gas tank (2-3 gallons is fine)
4) 929 or RC51 forks, brakes etc.

Thanks for all responses, as I'm not terrible creative, lollz.

see my project in members photos section,modding madness for cbr600rr rad mods.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:34 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Heres one way to do it, Kelevra

The more I think about what I want, the more I want an old 88 Hawk GT, with a VTR 996 engine installed. Possible?
If so, how hard would this be to do?
I believe I see the old Hawk GT frame/gas tank here, with a SH motor in it... Heavily modified, tho... heavy on the heavily... Streetfighter more than Hypertard tho.

http://www.streetfighters.nl/honda/hondavtr.jpg
Old 09-19-2008, 03:04 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Interesting project, to make a true motard it needs longer suspension travel more like 200mm + front and rear, it would be a nightmare to set it up right, but may be worth the effort, the possibility of mounting MX bark busters on a SH sounds sweet too
Old 05-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Back Marker

Ok, I'm back, only 9 months later, hahaha..

I'm buying a really nice 98 SH tomorrow for $3K, only 9500 miles, super clean. Not sure what I'm going to change yet. I'm thinking 954 or CBR1K front end, and doing something with the rear shock or decent replacement.. It's jetted and has the orig style 2bros cans, looks good, I'll post pix 2morrow. Good to be back!
Old 05-31-2009, 04:21 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Goody! A new project bike to follow.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Back Marker

Yeah, I really don't know what the heck I'm going to do yet, lolZ!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Back Marker

Ok, well, I bought the bike this morning (see my pix), and I'm thinking about modding it a bit, in the lines of a new 09 style Ducati Monster, but with Honda power... We'll see what I come up with, hehe.