Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

Experimental Superhawk

Old 06-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Experimental Superhawk

Been working on this Superhawk Streetfighter project all winter. I just put the first 50 miles on the odo today. Check out the headlight setup and the hand made rear cowl and aluminum subframe. I still have cleaning/polishing to do, but wanted to share these photos.

Name:  VTR-experimental103s.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  163.0 KB

Name:  DSCF0101.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  157.6 KB

Last edited by RonVTR; 09-03-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Add Photos
Old 06-16-2005, 06:31 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool! Clearly a one off.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:07 AM
Back Marker

icebud
Re: Experimental Superhawk

Very nice tail!! and also very nice project

Have you fabricate this tail by your own?

I've heard that a CBR600 radiator will fit ( with some modification of course ) on the VTR, maybe if you would like to goes further with this mod you could look at this. With a front radiator, it will give the side of the bike a "cleaner" look, IMO.

Very nice project!! keep in the same way.

Cheers
Old 06-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
Experi - Mental in deed! Good work. I've always thought about how to do a street fighter or cafe racer but seemed too daunting of a task....easier to buy a Norton.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Very cool. Have you considered maybe a matte black rear hugger/chain gaurd instead of the aluminum unit... or even powdercoat all the aluminum black!!
Love the project!
Old 06-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Re: Experimental Superhawk

Thanks for the positive comments. It's amazing what someone can do with a drill and a hacksaw. :-)

I had a pretty detailed idea (lots of day dreaming) of how I wanted the bike to look. I wanted a compact front/rear with the exhaust that extended past the back of the bike. Keep in mind that I had not seen the new Speed Triple yet. I also had the Hi-Mount Staintunes to work with. Aurally, they are the best match for the Streetfighter image (IMHO). As an FYI, the Staintune was not the easiest system to work with because of the bottom-of-the-can mounting arrangement. But like I said, I already had them and they sounded so good.

I did make the tail cowl from scratch. Though not that difficult, this one piece took the longest to fabricate. I initially started looking for a large aluminum mixing bowl to modify. When I couldn't find one, I decided to make my own using a technique a friend suggested. I used hardware cloth (a metal screen that has 1/2" openings) that I cut and shaped to form the basic shell. I covered this with fiberglass, then bondo, then primer and paint. I can post a picture of the piece b/4 the bondo if you like.

I wanted an aluminum & satin black look. That's why I mounted the aluminum chaingard. However, I do think a "hugger" would look good.

For the future I'm looking at adding a superbike bar and making some covers/scoops for the radiators. I haven't seen anyone do that yet.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road

cant find the other one ive seen that had used the OEM fairings
Old 08-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Back Marker

SillyHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok that flamey rust colored streetfighter bike looks like crap!!! anyway...RonVTR yours looks pretty sweet, but is that rear section modeled after Darth Vaders helmet?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Back Marker

RonVTR
LOL...
Though, I kinda think it looks like the head of the robot in The Iron Giant.

I've been working on the Experimental Streetfighter this summer. Once I have the side covers done I'll post new pics.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Squid

Hawk 996 is on a distinguished road
Awesome streetfighter ron...untill i saw its ***! Not for me, but overall i dig on it
Old 09-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
RON, where did you get the front fender?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Squid

zimm is on a distinguished road
How's the temp run without fairings ducting air to them?

I tried the streetfighter thing myself- Ebay'd a 1000cc sportbike radiator (forgot what bike it was from) and tried to fit it- wouldn't work. Not enough room from front of cylinder to the front suspension. I even tried to mount it backwards with the curve wrapping around the bike.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Squid

hawkstunter is on a distinguished road
Pipes

Since you cut the fender those pipes look wierd sticking out that far. Besides that the bike looks nice. Maybe you could chop em. Just my opinion though, it's your bike.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
I like the Iron Giant look... and the pipes sticking out the ***
It really makes the bike look compact front to rear.

I haven't done much on the project this summer. I've removed the chaingard and replaced it with a L/P carbon hugger w/ integrated chaingard. Looks better. As I said, I've been just riding it and checking for broken parts. So far nothing major... cool! 8)

I hit a pothole and bent the front magnesium wheel. Took it to The Wheelmaster for repair. He repaired the dented rim but damaged the paint and it took me a while to fix it with my air brush. Now its purt-neer invisible.

As for the radiators, originally I was going to fabricate some covers, however now I'm looking into moving the right radiator to the front. Like Daz's bike (I couldn't find a photo on this site anymore). He had mounted a single VTR radiator in place of the oil cooler and moved the oil cooler in front of the starter motor. Being in the NW, this just might work for me.

For this winter I have some Racetech springs,fork oil and fork brace to install. Pick up a 520 chain conversion. Make some frame side covers (styled like those on an Aprilia Tuono) and do something to the radiators.

Calitoz... I picked-up the fender off e-bay. I'm not sure, but I think its made by ART. Its about half the weight of a L/P carbon fender.
Zimm... It cools fine no problems at all. It may even run a little cooler.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Squid

hawkstunter is on a distinguished road
heh

I'm still putting my hawk together, I just bought it in a box recently and decided to change all the bearings. It will be a stuntbike so I don't really care about looks but I am missing a few parts so I'm searching Ebay lol.

Search this Thread