Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

HRC ICM arrived today!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:24 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
HRC ICM arrived today!

I finally located a real honest-to-goodness HRC ignition box and took delivery of it today

Looking forward to spring so I try it out.....

cheers
Old 12-14-2011, 04:50 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr View Post
I finally located a real honest-to-goodness HRC ignition box and took delivery of it today

Looking forward to spring so I try it out.....

cheers
Let us all know how it sings!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:21 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Hey do you know exactly what its supposed to do? Higher redline? Different torque/hp curve?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 PM
MotoGP

Slightly higher redline (10,450 vs 10,300) and a bit more advance after 5300 rpm. It may also be a bit more retarded between 4-5K (although I may be wrong on the latter). Based on what I have read and gotten from a few knowledgeable persons/tuners, it should be the cherry on my rebuilt engine sundae, so to speak (should help me crest the 130 bhp and 80 lb-ft target I had set for the lump when I set out on the rebuild project).....
Old 12-14-2011, 09:11 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Hey, micky- Like it really matters... Ya ought to send "FESTER" a picture of a HRC ICM... Ha Ha Ha
Old 12-15-2011, 05:52 AM
MotoGP

Fester is a lost cause.....
Old 12-15-2011, 06:29 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by mikstr View Post
Fester is a lost cause.....
Agreed there..
Is there any differences, in appearance.. Between OEM ecu. and the HRC ecu ? ?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 AM
MotoGP

No, it`s the same basic unit (based on what I can see and have been told by Roger Ditchfield). The difference lay in the programming.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Looks the same... Different numbers on it, but I dunno what it means, so separating one from the other isn't an option...
Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Back Marker

2whltuner is on a distinguished road
Congradulations on finding an HRC Igntion Module! When I started to build my current VTR, the first thing I pursued was obtaining an HRC Module, I had one on my first VTR and realized then that this one area of tuning that just couldn't be passed up. I was fortunate that the late Bob Hyashida had one and was and was willing to part with it. Truly an intrigate part of a VTR superbike build.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:09 AM
SuperSport

To bad , that ALL of the smarter, inquisitive, electronically knowledgeable member, have not broken this item down.. To give the rest of US searching, moles(endless searching in the dark) member a glimmer of hope..Hope that we ride a bike- that MAY one day be truely a "Super" bike .
Now i have expounded, my humbling opinon..

Are there fail saves in the programming of the ECU. that keep you for copying the parameter of program?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 1971allchaos View Post
To bad , that ALL of the smarter, inquisitive, electronically knowledgeable member, have not broken this item down.. To give the rest of US searching, moles(endless searching in the dark) member a glimmer of hope..Hope that we ride a bike- that MAY one day be truely a "Super" bike .
Now i have expounded, my humbling opinon..

Are there fail saves in the programming of the ECU. that keep you for copying the parameter of program?
Well, there's a "failsafe" long before that point, since it's all potted in resin, making it a solid block of plastic...

It takes a sharp knife, lots of patience and skill to mechanicaly remove enough to even get to the circuit inside... And if you haven't destroyed anything then, the real fun starts... Most likely what's in there is encrypted... So no easy copying, but it can be done, if you are willing to destroy the original box...

The other option is to "read the parameters" like was done for the aftermarket boxes... Ie hook up a osciloscope and see what the ICM does at given values... But that's a lot different than copying the programming, and needs more work than that... This option leaves the original intact...

Either way, there really is no way of "upgrading" your existing ICM to be a HRC one... You either swap in a aftermarket one mimicking the HRC parameters, or you buy a HRC ICM... Those are the options...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Sprung
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Hey, do you have a part number for the HRC ECU? This would be a great bit of info that I can't find on the site.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 PM
MotoGP

Sorry Greg, there is no number on teh one I got. I truly lucked out in getting this one as they are now very rare (especially to find a new one; this one had been sitting in someone's inventory before he decided to clean up his old stock and lo and behold). Another option if you want to get the same basic result is an Ignitech programmable ECU. I never got mine to work (never got around to pinpointing the reason, though I suspect the use of a non-MOSFET R/R may be at fault) but many, many others have. The stock mapping is around on the site for you to use as a baseline. I also got some info from a very reliable source as to what changes are needed to replicate the HRC map.....

cheers