Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

How do I put on bar ends?!!!Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Squid

USAFrider
How do I put on bar ends?!!!Help

I just got my vortex clipons in and I am in the middle of installing them RIGHT NOW. The problem is I just realized there are no predrilled holes for the bar ends, am I supposed to just drill holes into the end plastic? Are the tapered ends supposed to be out or the flat ends?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:19 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Like me, you probably own one of the most useless pair of bars in the business. These are just track bars that are easily replaced if you crash. Stock geometry, no anti-vib weights (none-offered) other than track days the stock bars are better.

I should restate that, other than track day falls . . .
Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Hi Joe, been there and done that. Dont install the bar end and remember right side of handle bar require more drilling. to make thing less work i just remove lock pin from emergency switch off housing, the distance of pins locator are not the same measurement. Be careful w/those allen screw bolts they seem to spin off easy. good luck
Old 06-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Squid

USAFrider
So do I install them flat end out and then screw cheap POS bar ends into the clip on plastic insert??!!
Old 06-18-2007, 08:19 PM
MotoGP

I don't think these clip ons accommodate the bar ends at all
Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Squid

USAFrider
Any after market bar ends? I have seen a bike on this forum with them. "swordfish". I'm just wondering if you screw the after market deals straight into the end of the bar.......what stupid thing to get a headache over.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:22 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
yes I don't know why this seems so hard, but those little black caps on the ends of the aluminium clip-on rod both pop right off. pry it off with a screwdriver or whatever and the bar-ends will go right in. and by the way, when I was installing my vortex clip-ons, there are 2 things I wanted to mention. first off, they are NOT the same geometry as stock. I know some people have said this, and maybe there is more than one vortex model, but mine are noticibly different. I had them on back to back with the stockers, and my vortex's are lower. anyway, the second thing: yes the aluminium rods are cheap but that's a good thing. if you go down, its only $24 to replace, versus $110 for ONE new stock clip-on. and the aluminium is soft. you don't need to drill a hole for the tab on the throttle housing. just take a thin phillips head screwdriver, and a hammer. measure out where the hole needs to be on the rod, and WAM! instant hole. hope I helped.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Squid

USAFrider
Thanks a lot for the help. I'm not sure why I couldn't figure this out last night but this morning I went out and put some vice grips on the ends and popped them off. I ordered some ends that are for a Ducati and they look like they will go right in. I also did some research and found out that a lot of racers fill their bars with silicone(which I will do tonight). So $5 for silicone and $20 for bar ends is a lot better than $65 for weighted bar ends. More gas money............
Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=nuhawk;57629], no anti-vib weights (none-offered) other than track days the stock bars are better.[QUOTE]

OK, enlighten me.. am I justly numb? I have Vortex clip ons on my bike, with NO bar ends.. I don't feel any bad vibration, nor are they uncomfortable. I've ridden as far as three and half hours twice in a day and not been bothered (FYI I'm 34, not old but not young as I once was). There is a little vibration, but no more than in a sportscar steering wheel.. in fact I expect a bit to give feed back to me.. Does this vibration really bother other people? I mean your on a sport bike, not a "wing"...
Old 06-19-2007, 02:13 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
no you don't really need them. I didn't put mine on for a good long time. and when I did it was mainly for cosmetic reasons. if it has minimized the vibration I haven't noticed.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:15 PM
MotoGP

I think for me it was the lean angle of the stock bars and the Vortex. I'd accept what I paid for them - which I thought reasonable at the time and I still do. For those of you that like them - I got a really nice used set. The are great for the track (because as stated, the little tubes are cheap to replace if you have a drop) but I will have to check again the match to the stockers geometry. I installed heli during my over-winter build (with a new front end) and currently run no bar ends at all. The heli just don't seem to transfer the vibration of the stockers. Also stated but not in my case - I think the little black plastic ends on mine were epoxied in. They didn't and aren't going to "just pop out."
Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Squid

USAFrider
To be honest I have never ridden with them, I just read a bunch of CBR and Ninja forums where people had vibration problems. I figured if a 4cyl is getting vibes then surely the hawk would be worse. I didn't realize they would be fine. I filled them with silicone tonight so it can only help and won't do any harm. My bar ends are in the mail.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:24 PM
MotoGP

All that being said, the Vortex bars are probably good bars on a track bike where everything vibrates anyway (or you would hope so) so who gives a **** about bars anyway. $20 and I'm back in the game for next weekend if I crash.