Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Help with FP star kit; hit a snag

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
Help with FP star kit; hit a snag

Installed the kit yesterday. Very straight forward and seemed easy enough. Shifting through the gears to check installation, the shifting jams up. If I remove the arm and spring and shift while spinning the rear wheel, shifting stills seems to jam up. Will check with FP later today
Could somoneone explain to me how the shifting mechanism work? At the top of the spindle plate is a spring loaded fork. When I go through the shifts, this fork never moves. I figure since it is there it must have some use, but I can't see what. It doesn't seem to touch anything.
Thanks for any help
Old 08-24-2013, 02:21 AM
Squid

jcvtr is on a distinguished road
did u pull in the clutch while spinning the rear wheel.?? maybe cable tie ur clutch lever down and try spinning/ shifting again.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
How many gears can you select before it "jams up"? If I'm not mistaken the gear box on the SH is not made to be able to shift without the engine turning. Same reason why you want to down shift as you come to the light and not once you have stopped. Can you throw it on a saddle lift and turn it on and then try to run through the gears with the engine running and possible have to work the clutch like you are riding it?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:01 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Would advise not runnning until you have diagnosed the assembly problem. You can shift it fine without running. A little bump of the rear tire while on a rear stand should allow the selection of the next gear.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:34 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
I agree with thetophatflash, pull up an engine diagram and make sure all the parts are in the correct places.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:09 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
FP suggested turning the clutch mainshaft a little after the shift, which worked. That was confusing, because the instructions say to keep the mainshaft from turning. It was a straight forward install, stopped at this point until I talked to FP, went through the gears and buttoned it up.

Last edited by HawkRider98; 08-26-2013 at 07:34 AM.