Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Gilles fully-adjustable rearsets installed

Old 03-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Squid

troy_v
Gilles fully-adjustable rearsets installed

I've been lusting after some Gilles rearsets for my SH for the past two years. My girlfriend decided that she would get them for me for my birthday. So in November I ordered them through Indysuperbikes.com. I knew that Gilles made the rearsets for the SH, but every other place I called would only look in the US distributors catalog and tell me that since the SH is not a listed fitment in there, then they don't make it for my bike. Bull $hit I told 'em. Finally, I talked to Indysuperbikes and they offered to special order teh rearsets for me before I even asked them to! They also had excellent customer service and continued to check on my order as we waited for it. I knew it would take a couple of months for me to get them, but in the end it took from November until March 15th - a little longer than I thought it would take. Good thing it's winter....

So today I managed to install them.....with no help from the worthless manual.

Here's some pics:
- Troy
Old 03-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Squid

troy_v
Re: Gilles fully-adjustable rearsets installed

Here's the other side:
Old 03-27-2005, 08:00 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Incredible workmanship, so I'm sure that helped to make the long wait more worthwhile. I like the CF guards too.

I had been told that in the lowest/forward position like yours are in that they would be identical to stock; however, they appear to be about 1/2 inch+ higher. Me, I went the other way and lowered mine. Knees can't take the bending anymore.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Squid

troy_v
Yes, the craftsmanship is superb. I knew it would take a while to get here, though I figured about 2 months. It was winter and I had shoulder surgery 2 months ago, so that made the wait not so bad. Plus, Indysuperbikes was actually being proactive and calling on the status of the rearsets without me prompting them to do so. Kudos to them!

I was a tad bit disappointed in the "lowest" position, too. I was able to download a matrix of the available positions for the SH. The lowest and furthest forward was supposed to be lower and more forward than stock. It's not. It's not quite 1/2" taller, but it is a little taller. Oh, well. I have a VFR if I want to ride distances.

Troy
Old 03-28-2005, 06:34 AM
Superstock

cdyer77
the rearsets are pretty sweet. Very nice craftsmanship.

Whats up with your exhaust pipe? it looks like it was spray painted just past the rearsets.

Also, lets see some pics of the whole bike.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Squid

troy_v
Originally Posted by cdyer77";p=&quot
Whats up with your exhaust pipe? it looks like it was spray painted just past the rearsets.

Also, lets see some pics of the whole bike.
I have a Sharkskinz lower on my SH. Last summer I converted by Two Bros slip-ons into a full system by adding their headers. After I did that, I started burning the lower in one spot and it actually caught fire slightly once (I must have installed the new header pipes slightly closer than the originals were). At first, I tried lining the inside of the Sharkskinz with stick-on Heat-resistant material. But eventually it burned right through that, too. So this winter I installed Thermotec heat-resistant wrap to all the piping near the Sharkskinz lower. Thermotec recommends that after the wrap has been applied to add their heat-resistant coating spray to further reduce the heat. So that is the silver paint that is noticable in the pictures (it's not very noticeable from standing height looking at the bike). I have yet to ride this year, but I hope that this will finally do the trick!

I'll post some pics of my SH after I get home from work!

Troy
Old 03-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Beautiful rearsets, really :-) Makes me think twice about my fixed position coerce brand rearsets I have yet to install, def. not the same quality of workmanship of the Gilles units, but they'll serve my trackday purpose.

Thanks for posting up the pics.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:28 AM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

What did the rear set cost?
It looks GREAT !
Old 10-28-2005, 09:45 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road

They do look real nice on your bike... Any idea how these compare to other aftermarket rearsets available for the SH?

Rick B
02 SH