Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Giant jets?

Old 03-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Superstock

mikecronis
Giant jets?

Why do people get these huge jets like 190s for performance? I'd imagine a very small step up and some needle shims would be more prudent, say maybe low 180 range. How's ridability on a 190+ jet??? Can it idle?

I actually went DOWN a jet size (as per the Honda service manual for 5000+ feet altitude riding aka. Denver) and my gas milage improved about 2 mpg or so and the bike is WAY more snappy at all RPMs and pulls great even at 1.5k rpms, but then again, that's at Mile-High City here.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:29 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Giant jets?

I run 190/195 and the bike starts first blip and idles perfectly. I don't think the idle has anything to do with the mains, maybe the needle?

My bike runs great, especially compared with other Superhawks.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:27 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

Not sure how relevant this is but it should be noted that Dynojet does not identify (or measure) their jet sizes in the same manner as Keihin (and Factory who also use the OEM measuring method). I believe that Keihin uses flow rates whereas DJ uses the hole diameter as a reference. All this to say that you cannot compare a DJ 180 with a stock 180 and that drawing inferences from the numbers used in a DJ kit may be misleading.

cheers
Mikstr
Old 03-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Superstock

mikecronis

Ah, yes! I think I've heard of that! The jet sizes are not same as factory description. Thanks tons. Explains a lot. The 190 jet from Dyn-Jet might actually be like a 180 or so.

Still, they charge an awful lot for a couple of jets and needles and a spring. I found when I bought it for my Ninja 500R the spring was made of aluminum or similar, as were the needles. Nothing special there. Not like titanium or diamond or something. The jets looked like standard Kawi factory jets. Granted, they gave me 8 to choose from, which would have costed $80 plus the needle and spring were probably another $9 so the mark-up to include the free dyno-reading coupon and semi-neet plastic $2 packaging and manual and etc. etc. with cool stickers is a pretty good deal I guess, except I don't need those other 6 jets and it could save me $60.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:53 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
when i bought my bike it had a 198/200 (maybe 198/195... i forget) anyways... they were like garden hoses.... the bike ran fine with them until i performed a bafflectomy... then it was rich as all hell... not sure why... anyways.. i went back to the stock sizes and it's never ran better.