Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

2002 baflectomy

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Squid

DBERN
2002 baflectomy

Hey,
Wondering if any of you have done a bafflectomy on your bike that is 2002 or younger. I tried but could not get a whole saw long enough to reach at lowe's.

Also I have seen alot of folks that have done this. Is it a older can deal or have they a two inch long saw?

any more feed back on folks that have done this is appreciated. Any issues?

thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Back Marker

superbikemike
Re: 2002 baflectomy

Go to the Knowledge Base section and under modifiations you will find Baffelectomy
Old 02-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Squid

DBERN

Ya man, I tried that procedure but there in lies the problem. I could not get whole saw long enough to reach the wall of the baffle. :wink: that is why I ask if anyone has done this to a newer bike. I am thinking that the older bikes have a shorter spout on the end of the exhaust. Maybe a tool maker that I have not seen has what I need.

So anyone? 2002 younger.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:30 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DBERN";p=&quot
Hey,
Wondering if any of you have done a bafflectomy on your bike that is 2002 or younger. I tried but could not get a whole saw long enough to reach at lowe's.

Also I have seen alot of folks that have done this. Is it a older can deal or have they a two inch long saw?

any more feed back on folks that have done this is appreciated. Any issues?

thanks

a saw? no saw needed for this at all..... just a drull a block of wood and a hammer.... be sure to read thru the knowledge base... it's a pretty simple procedure..... welll... kinda.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Back Marker

superbikemike

Some confusion in terms I think. The device that attaches to the drill is called a hole saw. I havn't done a baffelectomy but the hole saw is like the kind you drill a door with to install a lockset. They will drill a depth of about 2 1/2 inches I think. Is it farther in then that on the 02?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Squid

DBERN

Ok maybe I was just looking at the wrong hardware store. I could not find a whole saw long enough. All I could get was one that was only 1"and a quater long. If I can find one that is 2" Ill be good to go.

That is why I was wondering if anyone has done it to a 02 or not
maybe I should just go with some tbros :wink:

thanks
Old 03-01-2006, 08:14 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Go aftermarket, you'll loose about 20 ugly pounds in the process.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:02 AM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Go aftermarket, you'll loose about 20 ugly pounds in the process.
+1

also:
sounds better
looks better
performs better
more ground clearance (especially with high mounts)
Old 03-01-2006, 11:27 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CNI Dawg";p=&quot
also:
sounds better
looks better
performs better
more ground clearance (especially with high mounts)
Umm, I going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there* :-)

IMO, the superhawk's pipes' sound really, really good with a proper baffflectomy. So far between both 98's, I've had stock, stock bafflectomy, staintune (with & w/o spuds), jardine highmount, 2 bros titanium highmount, RC51 (stock & partial bafflectomy), and just recently Micron.

I agree with all the downsides you mentioned but you left off one other positive: Costs!

No need for all the "fancy" tools, just use a large phillips screwdriver (or punch) and a hammer. Punch out holes at 12,3,6, and 9 o'clocks. Fire it up and listen. Not enough for you? Punch out more. Still not enough? Then you'll need to do the full bafflectomy as per the KB.

*Office Space
Old 03-01-2006, 02:16 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Yeah, Peter, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday, ok, thanks Peter.

You can't tell me that the stock pipes sound better than aftermarket ones, without a loss in performance. Sure you can take out the baffles and make them sound cooler, but they are what they are, and thats 15 pounds of excess weight. Not to mention, doesn't TBR (and others) have R&D departments that make their pipes perform at the optimum level?

Everyone has their favorite kind of aftermarket pipe, but no one I know has picked the stock pipe as their favorite. I will let you draw your own conclusions, or rather jump to them...

It's a "Jump to Conclusions Mat"! You see, you have this mat, with different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO!
Old 03-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Squid

VTR69

I bafflectomized my 03 and encountered the same hole saw problem. The commonly available bit isn't deep enough to reach past the "snorkel" outlet in the muffler. I made a series of slices with a sawzall(be careful) in the inner snorkel out let and then just tapped them over and inward with a drift which allows the bit to reach deep enough to do the deed. I found the bafflectomy to be kinda loud, on a par with the loudest slip-ons so I stuck in some Jardine "quiet core" units (requires shims that you have to make, but that's another story) and really like the sound now. BTW, I have some Jardine slip-ons on E-bay right now too.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Squid

DBERN

Thanks Ill check the slip ons out.

I am still looking at the one all important thing in my life right now and that is cost!!

So with that in mind, for the punch deal is it better to punch or can I just use a drill with a big bit on it to put holes in there. Or would this put shaveings and **** in the exhaust?? would that matter?

I figure right now baffle work then, when more cash is flowing my way, go ahead with the new.
Even if I mess them up oh well have to go buy tbros now!! :wink:
Old 03-02-2006, 01:47 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
a drill will work better..... the shavings will blow out when you start her up.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
I used a drill with a decent sized bit and a handheld jigsaw. Metal cutting blade long enough to not come above the baffle when in the full 'up' position. Drill hole, put electrical tape overedge of pipe (so you won't mar it up badly), then saw a circle around the inner pipe. Wood, hammer, beatings, pull out inner pipe! The set I've got on now were done similarly, except the guy used a grinder to grind the baffle all the way to the outer pipe (cleaned it up better than I did). I bought his to replace mine after I rashed the left one. He upgraded to V&H when some stupid lady backed into his bike in a parking lot and knocked it over. Those V&H, the ones with the vertically siamesed circular outlets, are the only ones I've heard that sound better than the bafflectomy, short of Leo Vinci, but those don't count due to price.

Just my Humble opinion.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Squid

YAMAROCKET630
Just did a full baffelectomy on my 01 today. The left side pipe was a real bastard to break the welds on (it actually tore the metal of the inner baffle wall.

It sounds great, but like everyone says, it is loud.

I may get a real exhaust some day, but this will keep me happy for now.

Hey superbling, what RC51 pipes fit? any particular year?