Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Galfer Waves/pads and Muzzy Lines Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Galfer Waves/pads and Muzzy Lines Installed

We FINALLY had a nice day out today. I got out of work a little early and decided to work a little on the bike in preparation for my maiden spring ride tomorrow.

The Galfer waves bolted right up with a little work. When I had the wheels powdercoated they coated over the disk seating surface. I didn't do a great job removing it last time so I spent some quality time with a screwdriver and files today to get it all off. Brake lines went on without incident. Washed the calipers in the sink with 409 and a brass wire brush. That was fun. Pads are Galfer HH with the white backing plate.

Here's some pics. The second and third pics show the lever travel. In the last pic I really can't get the lever to move any further. This thing is FIRM! Oh, that's a 929 master cylinder on there. I've had that for a long time now.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:03 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Sweet looking set-up
Old 04-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Thanks! Can't wait to get these guys bedded in tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I love the white. Sooooooo purty.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Then you'll dig the whole bike pics:

Oh, crap! I forgot to mention the new seat is on too. CarbonFX rider/black vinyl passenger, both black now. Thanks, Alan!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:04 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Washed the calipers in the sink with 409 and a brass wire brush. That was fun. Pads are Galfer HH with the white backing plate.
Nice greg, for future reference BrakeClean will clean up the stock calipers extra easy and did not harm the coating at all on mine. Of course i would not do this on the bike.

Let us know how you like the rotos and pads. I myself am a Vesrah brake pad fan, Zero Break-in time required. IMHO best pads you can buy for the money.

The White looks awesome.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Dude, after 40000 miles there's not much short of a wire brush that will get that crap off. The fact that the powdercoat is crinkled (porous) doesn't make it any easier. I tried the brake cleaner. Didn't budge it.

I have heard wonderful things about Galfer's new HH pads. They are good for street and track days, but probably not full time track duty. I'm fond of Vesrah RJLs myself, but I found they are tough on rotors. I figured Galfer rotors and Galfer pads should match up pretty well and they can't bitch if anything goes wrong like a warped rotor.

These rotors are full floaters, BTW. They have wave washers between the rotor and the buttons. Pretty cool. All the advantages of full floaters without the rattle.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Squid

macd218 is an unknown quantity at this point
Then you'll dig the whole bike pics:

Oh, crap! I forgot to mention the new seat is on too. CarbonFX rider/black vinyl passenger, both black now. Thanks, Alan!
Hey want to make me those rear fender stickers??? Or are they painted on?
That think looks nice!!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:00 PM
MotoGP

Not trying to hijack the thread here but is the black found on the main frame spar paint/powdercoat or is a protector of some type? Enquiring minds want to know

cheers
Old 04-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Yes, those are frame sliders. Don't know about you Canadian folk, but Brits and Aussies call 'em crash bobbins.

The only stickers on the bike are the ones that say Superhawk. The Honda on the tank is a sticker too but it's cleared over.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:13 PM
MotoGP

thanks Greg. I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I wasn't referring to the "crash bobbins", but rather I noticed that the section of frame just below the tank (in middle of upper frame spar) is black, did you paint that?

cheers
Old 04-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hehe, that's just the lighting. I hate taking night pics.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:29 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Except for bling, what is the benefit of wave/pedal rotors? Slightly less unsprung weight?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Apparently, and more edges to refresh the pad/rotor interface. I've heard better cooling. Also full floating. Something better than stock too. Hell, you know how it is, if they sell it aftermarket I need to at least try it out. Some call it a passion. My wife calls it an obsession.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:03 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Apparently, and more edges to refresh the pad/rotor interface. I've heard better cooling. Also full floating. Something better than stock too. Hell, you know how it is, if they sell it aftermarket I need to at least try it out. Some call it a passion. My wife calls it an obsession.
Or Sickness!!!

Looks badass...That white is sick, and the single side exahuast is phat!
Yes, def let us know how those rotors perform...
Old 04-20-2007, 05:38 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
Greg - did you recover over a stock seat or is that a Sargeant seat you recovered?

The bike looks great - does that single can sound ok or do you miss the stereo reverb of the duals??
Old 04-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Squid

SnapAttack is on a distinguished road
Very clean. Someone once told me modifying the Hawk woudl be a slipperly slope. Now I know to what they were refering...
Old 04-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Back Marker

supertwinSH is an unknown quantity at this point
I must say there Greg....NICE Job...I like the rotors! I am very please with my Muzzy lines also. I think I am jealous now......(Babe, can I get some nice rotors like Greg on Superhawk Forum?......NO!...is what I will here)

Let us know how they go!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Well, I partially bedded in the rotors today. It was about a 80 mile ride. I used the brakes lightly for the first 40 miles and I could tell they were not up to peak performance yet. The second 40 miles I used them a bit harder. So far, so good. Initial impressions are that they don't have quite as much initial bite as I like, but overall power is pretty good. As for the rotors, I really do think the bike steers just a tad quicker now. Hard to tell since I really haven't ridden in about 6 months.

The final bed-in procedure tomorrow consists of some rapid high speed stops with cooldown between, then a series of 2 in a row high speed stops to really get them heated up. Then it'll be done. I'll let you know tomorrow evening.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Originally Posted by 99Hawk
Greg - did you recover over a stock seat or is that a Sargeant seat you recovered?

The bike looks great - does that single can sound ok or do you miss the stereo reverb of the duals??
Nope, that's a Sargent as it comes from the factory.

I really like the single can. It sounds like a big SV650 at idle and a Duc at full tune. She really wakes up when you blip the throttle, otherwise idle is pretty mild - a tad......whispy? Is that a word?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:45 PM
MotoGP

If I recall you'll be running her on the dyno at some point with the new exhaust set-up? I hope so as I am curious to see what transpires
Old 04-21-2007, 09:31 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Are the trees starting to come out up there yet? Get that Bird outside and take some more pictures! The strobe just doesn't do it justice. You do have time right? Don't tell me you're busy slaving over my forks! I know where your priorities are! They're in your right hand - so quit jerkin' off and get on the throttle! You can stay up all night and work on the forks.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
Nope, that's a Sargent as it comes from the factory.

I really like the single can. It sounds like a big SV650 at idle and a Duc at full tune. She really wakes up when you blip the throttle, otherwise idle is pretty mild - a tad......whispy? Is that a word?
I think you mean husky. Like when the girls do that kinda-whisper sort of noise into your ear that tends to be really sexy? That.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
Awsome looking bike keep up the good work.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Thanks for the compliments guys. Nuhawk, I got your fork tube in...yesterday I think. Maybe the day before. Can't remember. I'll have 'em shipped out Monday for ya'. You're right about priorities though. It was freakin beautiful out today and yesterday. Supposed to be the same tomorrow, and up to 80 on Monday! Spring is finally here!!!!!!!!!!! These long ******' winters suck!

Went for a spirited ride today with the guys. Unfortunately it wasn't on the VTR, but the 1000RR. I had to get the 6 month old gas out of there. Last fall I did some major suspension changes (Ohlins 20mm fork internals and revalved my Elka shock) in hopes of getting it to turn easier (like VTR easy ) and I'm pleased to announce that I am 95% there. I really enjoyed the hell out of the ride today. I had the bike cranked over pretty good at times, and it handled the rough stuff pretty well too. Roads are still a bit sandy so we didn't hit it all out. Hell, for most of us it was the first ride of the season. The RR is just rock stable compared to the VTR. It's an amazing difference. I mean I can haul on the Superchicken, and last year I was actually faster on it than the RR, but not this year. It's a whole new animal now. I can't wait to get on the track in May. Any of you Canadian folk going to Calabogie in May?

I'll get the Superchicken out tomorrow and get the brakes bedded in the rest of the way and will report back.

Hasta!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:24 AM
MotoGP

. . . You're right about priorities though. It was freakin beautiful out today and yesterday. Supposed to be the same tomorrow, and up to 80 on Monday! Spring is finally here!!!!!!!!!!! These long ******' winters suck!
When I looked at the weather up there yesterday morning I knew you were going to be long gone! Especially after the winter you've had! Glad to hear the RR is coming around. I remember the photos you shot of the Superhawk in the driveway and I thought the guys would really dig seeing her outside in all the spring colors - it should really show off the white.

I was just kidding about the forks! I started the SH after I got the mids back from Jet-Hot just to change-over the fuel in the carbs so she's good for another few weeks. I'm so friggin' busy at work I don't have time to ride. Yesterday was just perfect here too but I was so spent by the time we locked up all I could think about was a good butt soak. I guess I'm still a little spent after sticking those big trees on Thursday. Happy trails, dude, it's been a long winter!
Old 04-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Brakes are fully bedded in. I likey! (New smilie, BTW)

Good initial bite now and rolling stoppies are but a finger or two away. I think they will get even better. Really good when cold. Fuggin powerful when hot. Overall rating 8.5/10.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:02 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
You will like the brakes dont know how good they are untill you see the track and it will be all

My bikes together and i did a small ride this weekend. But it was very bad time for me. We rode just in front of the hurst on the way to the cemetary. Lost a very good friend along with a friend of his that I did not know pickup took 3 bikes down frist 2 died right there last one lived with a broken leg.

I realy was mad at the driver of the truck. then that night when I was out driking some of his friends came in and I could see they where just as sad as myself. No winners in this He might not live at 22 yrs old and if he does he has to live life with it. He knows who he hit I am sure it will haunt him untill his last days
Old 04-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Sorry to hear about your friend. It's always a difficult time to ride when you lose a friend in a bike accident. RIP.

The VTR has done her share of track duty and is strictly street now. The RR has track plastics and is now more suited for "ludicrous speed" and serious lean angle. You can never have too much brakes for the street though.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:15 AM
MotoGP

Rolling out a new bike should be a happy and joyous event. Sorry yours wasn't, Stumpy! Riding with a heavy heart is never good but sometimes must be done. Thanks for being there for a fellow rider and his friend. You're right - whether you live or die - nobody wins or feels good about it! May they rest in eternal peace.

Quick Reply: Galfer Waves/pads and Muzzy Lines Installed