Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Front Sprocket - Changing advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:30 AM
Squid

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Front Sprocket - Changing advice

Have just ordered a 15 tooth front sprocket to go with my 43 tooth rear (which I fitted a few weeks back)

I'd welcome any hints/tips/tricks as to the best way to remove the old sprocket and replace it with the newer one?

How to hold it steady whilst you are un-doing and doing it back up again.

Can you slide the old one off (with the chain still around it) put the new one onto the chain, slide back on the shaft and tighten it all up?

Cos of my 43 tooth rear, I don't have a LOT of movement I can move the rear wheel forward by.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 09:07 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Get a good sized piece of PVC or wood to lodge between the rear rim spoke and the swingarm. Put trans in 1st gear. Lodge front wheel into a corner. There's a lot of torque on that nut so a cheater pipe is a good idea too.

I'm not sure with a 43 but with a 41 there's enough slack that you don't have to remove chain. Slide wheel all the way forward, of course.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by superbling
Get a good sized piece of PVC or wood to lodge between the rear rim spoke and the swingarm. Put trans in 1st gear. Lodge front wheel into a corner. There's a lot of torque on that nut so a cheater pipe is a good idea too.

I'm not sure with a 43 but with a 41 there's enough slack that you don't have to remove chain. Slide wheel all the way forward, of course.
Cheers for the advice.
I've got a nice BIG torque wrench.
Just wanted to be sure the chain would be OK as it's going to be taking the pull as I torque it up.

I'm looking forward to the lower front end gear arriving

Not so much (at the moment) for the shear acceleration potential, but around where I live (when travelling along local roads) at junctions and roundabouts, I oftern find 1st gear too low, whilst 2nd gear is a bit of a jump up and reduced revs just that bit too much.

The lower front gear, should lower 2nd gear down just that little bit to make it more useful at slow junctions.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:54 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
If you don't want to mess with the "wood in the wheel" holding the sprocket it in place like Superbling explained, I've also stood on the rear brake (and put the bike in 1st gear) and cracked the nut loose while "sitting" on the bike.... it will work well if the nut isn't super tight and you have a long enough breaker bar....

J.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Or have a spouse or friend hold the rear brake.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Squid

Thanks for advice.
I was just worried about putting all the strain onto the chain.

(the chain between the front and rear sprockets is going to take all the torque of me doing the nut up)

But everyone seems to be saying that fine, as either method about means the chains stopping the front sprocket turning.

Thanks