Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

front end swap pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Back Marker

iscoot is on a distinguished road
black fender looks fine, if not great!
Old 11-11-2006, 11:32 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Wow that looks badass! And I like the black fender too. Congrats on the swap-real nice looking job. Wanted to work on mine but have been slaving over the Taurus. Worked on it last night until 3 in the morning and have been back at it all day today 'cause I need it to work tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:39 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't worry about the fender, mine is CF and it took me a while to get use to it but now I wouldn't change it back. I think it gives it more contrast to the rest of the bike.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:41 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Wow that looks badass! And I like the black fender too. Congrats on the swap-real nice looking job. Wanted to work on mine but have been slaving over the Taurus. Worked on it last night until 3 in the morning and have been back at it all day today 'cause I need it to work tomorrow.
I know how you feel Beau, I'm about to get elbows deep in a transmission for my truck.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:47 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superhawk22
I know how you feel Beau, I'm about to get elbows deep in a transmission for my truck.

Nice! I just had mine rebuilt a few weeks ago. Came with free vasoline! I suppose the temper tantrum and the resulting neutral drop weren't such a hot idea. Anyway I know it cost about what the whole car is worth but it's a good car and there's no payment so it's worth it. Plus I literally have a list a mile long of new parts in this thing. I put in a new starter a month ago and the whole front of it cracked in half the other day so they gave me another one and I swapped it out...again...today. Spent all night yesterday putting a new water pump in. Front wheel drive cars SUCK to work on. There isn't room for anything. Here's a teaser pic of the sex machine for everyone else not as fortunate to have seen it in person as Mike. You all know you want one. Hey what's that in the garage?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:49 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Nice work! Did you do anything with the radiators? How's clearance there?
Hi,
Haven't been to this forum in quite a while. exciting to see all the activity here. I've had a SH for about 6 years and still find it a great bike.

I did this swap last year - same as you are doing, all RC51 parts. It really improved the bike - braking, lighter wheel and better adjustability of the fork. I put stiffer springs and a spacer to get the preload right based on what RC51 riders were advising.

The only clearance issues I had were the lower edge of the fairing (the USD fork is much wider, but that just took some trial and error triming of the lower inside fairing edge. I also shaved the stops from the lower triple clamp (don't know any other way you could do this). At about the point of the stock stop full right, it just touches the radiator hose. I still have not fashioned new stops - which I think is important to prevent a simple fall into more bodywork, radiator damage than would otherwise occur. This winter I hope to find a welder who can put some on.

Still struggling with best handlebar solution - haven't found it yet but like the clamp style/traditional bar photos shown

bc
Old 11-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
hey captain. are those carbon leo vince high mounts? very nice!!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:29 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Yeah I snagged those off ebay. Apparently from what I hear they're pretty hard to come by. Got lucky-the guy who was selling them for a friend said this guy came into a little money and promptly blew it on his bike amongst other things and just as quickly had to sell it all so I basically got a brand new set of these for half price.hehe....tweaked them a little to fit nice and tight. Actually had them almost together but liked them apart a little. If I ever put an undertail on the bike I may put them together for that 916 look, but I like them now.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Hey All,

I was just wondering how everyone was doing on there front end conversions?? I think that I am going to tackle this in the near future. I am leaning towards the 954/929 stuff just due to the availibility of more parts. As far as the bars/clip ons for this set up, from all of the reading that I have done it looks like TL1000R Heli bars would give the best under triple ride height (closer to rider) For the tubular bars would a set of mounts and bars from a Aplilia Tuono work??

Thanks Dennis