Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Front end drama

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk
Front end drama

OK heres the deal. I went with the cbr929\954 front end , works out fine and its beautiful on my naked SHawk. So I decided since I already had them was to fit the GSXR1000 brake calipers to them. Well they bolted up fine just like they did on the stock forks, but after bleeding them they are braggin like a dog with worms. Has anyone else done this setup before, if so did you get it to work. If I can't get this to work out I'm gonna sell the calipers or swap someone for a set of 954's.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:00 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Is it a stuck piston, an alignment issue, or too much fluid in the system?

You can shim the bolts to move the calipers in. I had to do this my gixxer brakes/f4i forks combo.

It might be a piston not fully releasing. Pushing dirty pistons back into the calipers can trigger this. Try removing the calipers and place a flat lever like a small flat blade screwdriver between the pads. Make sure that it's thinner than the rotor thickness so you'll see some "fresh" caliper piston when you activate the lever. Remove the pads and lever, get a toothbrush, brake cleaner and get busy. Try to get things as clean as possible before pushing them back in again to reinstall on the wheel.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk
Re: Front end drama

Thanks superbling, I tried using thin spacer washers to make an adjustment but that made it worse. So this weekend when I can return to the shop I'll try cleaning them and relubing them. As far as there being to much fluid in the system , I did'nt think that was possible. But I've been wrong before. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:41 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Your calipers may be in need of rebuilding. However your shims may also be the problem. In order to correctly shim them, you must put them on the forks with the bolts loose, pump up the brakes and measure the variance between the fork mounts and the caliper bosses. You'll need to measure on both sides of the boss and split the difference, in case the calipers vary from parallel with the fork mounts. Thick feeler guages, stacked, work best for this. It takes some calculation of variances to find the proper thickness.

I assume you're sure you bled them correctly and that the master matches the calipers, right? If your shimming and bleeding is correct, and the calipers mount correctly in location to the disk surface, you have a mechanical defect in either the calipers or the master cylinder.