Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Fork swap from other makes?

Old 11-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Squid

TODDSPEED is on a distinguished road
Jamie, you say you are running gsxr forks and clip ons above the clamps, does that mean the gsxr forks are longer than 954/ cbr 1000 forks? Also do all gsxr 750 forks fit 954 clamps? what about gsxr 1000 forks?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:48 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
No they are about the same length and as long as they are 50mm on top and 54mm at the lower clamp they will work, I had the 01 and 06 gsxr 1000 forks.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:55 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TODDSPEED
Jamie, you say you are running gsxr forks and clip ons above the clamps, does that mean the gsxr forks are longer than 954/ cbr 1000 forks? Also do all gsxr 750 forks fit 954 clamps? what about gsxr 1000 forks?
They are alittle longer than the 954 forks, but not much. By the time you setup the front end geometry to match stock you have about 20mm of fork sticking up above the upper triple, just enough to mount the clip-ons. One of these days I'll snap a couple of photos of my setup.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Squid

Well it looks like my project has begun, I won a set of 01 GSXR 1000 forks, so much for keeping it simple by getting a complete front end that would just swap out. Anyway, looks like I'll need more help from you guys with GSXR forks on your Hawk. I am going to pick up a set of triples from a 929/954 or cbr 1000, after that I need to answer these ?s.
1. what calipers will fit the 01 GSXR 1000 forks?
2. will any front wheel fit as long as I use GSXR axle, spacers and roters?
3. will 954 clip ons mounted below the clamps clear the bodywork and
tank?
I'm going to call the local Suzuki dealer for some info but you guys have been so helpful I would love to have your input.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:06 AM
SuperBike

Well it looks like my project has begun, I won a set of 01 GSXR 1000 forks, so much for keeping it simple by getting a complete front end that would just swap out. Anyway, looks like I'll need more help from you guys with GSXR forks on your Hawk. I am going to pick up a set of triples from a 929/954 or cbr 1000, after that I need to answer these ?s.
1. what calipers will fit the 01 GSXR 1000 forks?
2. will any front wheel fit as long as I use GSXR axle, spacers and roters?
3. will 954 clip ons mounted below the clamps clear the bodywork and
tank?
I'm going to call the local Suzuki dealer for some info but you guys have been so helpful I would love to have your input.

1) I'm pretty sure your stock calipers will fit (they do on the GSXR750 forks anyway). I used 929 calipers, so while you are at it you might as well pick up a set of F4/929/954 parts.
2) I'm using the VTR front wheel. Doing this requires going with a different bearing and spacers. I'm also running CBR11000XX rotors (Ø310mm)
3) No, they won't clear. Even mounted above the triples mine are close.

Also, I don't think the CBR1000RR triples are a good choice. I may be wrong, but I think those are different. The 954 or 929 parts are nice because they allow the VTR wheel to be used.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:12 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Todd...

Regarding clipons.... I went through a few sets on my RC swap... what I've learned... Ducati SS Helibars are about as tall of a clipon as you will find. I have them mounted 13mm BELOW the triple (RC51 upper) and they are higher than stock locations... very similar to the VFR bar mod height, but wider due to the fork width. If you keep an eye out on EBAY, you might find a set... that's what I did.

If you decide to go with 929/954's above the triple, LMK I have a nice set, powdercoated flat black... left overs from part of my learning process!!!

J.

Last edited by SlowHAWK; 12-01-2008 at 06:12 AM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Squid

Wow! you guys are helping me so much, I don't know why but I just assumed I would'nt be able to use my SH wheel. Not buying a new wheel is going to save me big $$$$. But of course that means I have more ?s Since I got my GSXR forks do I need a GSXR axle? If I get 929/954 triples and use my SH wheel what spacers and bearings do I need? If I get the 01 GSXR 6 piston calipers do I need 01 GSXR rotors? (will they fit on my SH wheel?)
Old 12-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Um... Nope, GSXR rotors won't fit the VTR wheel... But since Jamie is running CBR1000XX rotors on one with GSXR750 forks it's likely they will work on yours aswell...

Yes, you chould probably use the GSXR axle and then fit a new set of bearings and spacers to the VTR wheel... Exactly what... well there are no blueprints... It's possible that what Jamie used will work for you too, but not guarantied...

That's the fun part when doing these kinds of things... You get to try out new things... Sometimes it's been done before, sometimes not...
Old 12-05-2008, 06:43 PM
SuperBike

Yes, you have to use the GSXR axle because the lower portion of the forks cannot be changed. It's larger than the VTR axle so the wheel bearings must be replaced. I don't remember the bearing number, but it's the same OD (obviously) and 9mm wide. What I do remember is that the spacers on either side need to be 12mm thick. You also need to make a new center spacer that fits inside the wheel between the bearings (many folks don't even know this part exists). The spacer is larger diameter to accomodate the larger axle and this causes a bit of problems on the one side. You have to remove some of the material behind the bearing seat so this part will fit. Here are a couple of photos that might help. The first is the larger center spacer and shows the material that interferes. The second is the new wheel bearings and CBRXX rotors installed. One note: the forks I used are supposed to have Ø320mm rotor but the CBRXX ones are only Ø310mm. That will cause me some issues with pad wear long term, so ultimately I will need to figure something out. Most GSXR's use Ø310mm rotors, I just happened to get a set with the larger size (go figure).

Old 12-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Squid

fishface is on a distinguished road
ive got a gsxr1100 front end on my fightered storm
Old 12-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Squid

bunob is on a distinguished road
I do that with a 750 GSXR K7 fork. Pic of my bike :

Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Yes, you have to use the GSXR axle because the lower portion of the forks cannot be changed. It's larger than the VTR axle so the wheel bearings must be replaced. I don't remember the bearing number, but it's the same OD (obviously) and 9mm wide. What I do remember is that the spacers on either side need to be 12mm thick. You also need to make a new center spacer that fits inside the wheel between the bearings (many folks don't even know this part exists). The spacer is larger diameter to accomodate the larger axle and this causes a bit of problems on the one side. You have to remove some of the material behind the bearing seat so this part will fit. Here are a couple of photos that might help. The first is the larger center spacer and shows the material that interferes. The second is the new wheel bearings and CBRXX rotors installed. One note: the forks I used are supposed to have Ø320mm rotor but the CBRXX ones are only Ø310mm. That will cause me some issues with pad wear long term, so ultimately I will need to figure something out. Most GSXR's use Ø310mm rotors, I just happened to get a set with the larger size (go figure).

Jamie; RC51 rotors are 320mm, would they fix your problem? also, another alternative for brakes are F4i brakes, do you think they are better than SH brakes? I want better brakes but I don't have to have the best thing in the world.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:50 PM
SuperBike

Jamie; RC51 rotors are 320mm, would they fix your problem? also, another alternative for brakes are F4i brakes, do you think they are better than SH brakes? I want better brakes but I don't have to have the best thing in the world.
Nope, the RC51 rotors won't fit the VTR whel. Also, I'm using CBR929 calipers which are the same as the F4i parts except they are gold. I'm also using a CBR954 master cylinder. Even with the larger rotors I don't notice the brakes to be all that great. I suppose they hauled it down from 140mph down the back stretch of Mid-Ohio without and problems. I've noticed that they work much better at higher speeds, slow speeds (street pace) they don't seem any better than stock.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Nope, the RC51 rotors won't fit the VTR whel. Also, I'm using CBR929 calipers which are the same as the F4i parts except they are gold. I'm also using a CBR954 master cylinder. Even with the larger rotors I don't notice the brakes to be all that great. I suppose they hauled it down from 140mph down the back stretch of Mid-Ohio without and problems. I've noticed that they work much better at higher speeds, slow speeds (street pace) they don't seem any better than stock.
Wait a minute, things are begining to get clear. It does'nt matter what caliper I use, I'm going to have the same problem as you unless I get a wheel that has 320mm rotors. Is that right? Is it possible to modify the caliper mounting points on the forks to use f4i calipers with SH rotors?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:04 PM
SuperBike

Wait a minute, things are begining to get clear. It does'nt matter what caliper I use, I'm going to have the same problem as you unless I get a wheel that has 320mm rotors. Is that right? Is it possible to modify the caliper mounting points on the forks to use f4i calipers with SH rotors?
Whoa, whoa, whoa. You only have to deal with the Ø320mm thing if you use 00-01 GSXR750 or 600 forks. All other GSXR's of that era use Ø310mm rotors. I could have used a GSXR wheel with the Ø320mm rotors (which I have by the way), but I really wanted to keep the stock VTR wheel. I was all about making it look like it was meant to have been done that way by Honda. Nothing makes me cringe like modifications that look like, well, modifications. I want it to look stock, I think I did a pretty good job of that.

No, you can't really modify the mounting points for the calipers to run the stock Ø276mm VTR rotors. If you tried to, by the time you were done you could have bought some Ohlins Road and Track forks for the same price.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Squid

I have a set of 01 GSXR 1000 forks sitting next to me, they are the first piece of my swap puzzle. According to bikez.com 01 GSXR 1000 had 320mm rotors so I guess I am in the same boat as you. I like your goal of making the bike look like it is supposed to be the way it is, But I have to admit my main reason for wanting to use the SH wheel is to save money. The way I see it I can Get an RC51 wheel and rotors, or get a GSXR wheel and rotors, or follow in your footsteps and get cbr 1100 rotors.

Last edited by TODDSPEED; 12-06-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:01 PM
MotoGP

I used an RC51 wheel and rotors with 929 bearings and collar with my gsxr1000 forks and a 900rr rear wheel and sold the stock wheels to make up for it. You could also use a different wheel like the 929 with RC51 rotor or possibly even 600rr wheel and rotors with different bearings the 600rr has 320 mm rotors as well. If you want better brakes get the ones that go with the gsxr forks, I just sold mine sorry.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by superhawk22
I used an RC51 wheel and rotors with 929 bearings and collar with my gsxr1000 forks and a 900rr rear wheel and sold the stock wheels to make up for it. You could also use a different wheel like the 929 with RC51 rotor or possibly even 600rr wheel and rotors with different bearings the 600rr has 320 mm rotors as well. If you want better brakes get the ones that go with the gsxr forks, I just sold mine sorry.

is any year (03-99) cbr 900 rear wheel a direct swap for our SH? Also, what do you mean by "collar"? do mean spacers? if so did you use all 929 spacers, inside spacer and outside?

Last edited by TODDSPEED; 12-07-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:06 PM
SuperBike

I have a set of 01 GSXR 1000 forks sitting next to me, they are the first piece of my swap puzzle. According to bikez.com 01 GSXR 1000 had 320mm rotors so I guess I am in the same boat as you. I like your goal of making the bike look like it is supposed to be the way it is, But I have to admit my main reason for wanting to use the SH wheel is to save money. The way I see it I can Get an RC51 wheel and rotors, or get a GSXR wheel and rotors, or follow in your footsteps and get cbr 1100 rotors.

You know, I've not really found it to be a problem using the Ø310mm rotors. The pads hang over the OD of the rotor just a millimeter or so. What I'm going to do over the winter is to grind a large chamfer on the outside edge of the pad. That should give me a couple of thousand miles of use before I have to mess with it again. It's not really the 'right' way to do it, but I'm also on a budget. I've got about $800 in my front end swap which is twice what I thought it would be. I had hoped to install different springs and a full RaceTech kit but the costs racked up too fast for that.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 PM
MotoGP

is any year (03-99) cbr 900 rear wheel a direct swap for our SH? Also, what do you mean by "collar"? do mean spacers? if so did you use all 929 spacers, inside spacer and outside?
Yes collar is the term used for spacer and no, just the inside the gsxr axle has the spacers built right in so no fumbling with seperate spacers on the outside. You can do a search but I believe all 900rr rear rims are a direct swap but not the 929 954 rim.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:37 PM
SuperBike

Yes collar is the term used for spacer and no, just the inside the gsxr axle has the spacers built right in so no fumbling with seperate spacers on the outside. You can do a search but I believe all 900rr rear rims are a direct swap but not the 929 954 rim.
I found that the axle alone what not enough, I also needed 12mm spacers on either side of the wheel. Some of this might have been in the triples but most was likely because the VTR wheel is not as wide in the hub area and the new bearings I put in were not as wide. If I cranked down on the axle 1) the wheel would have shifted over too far and the rotors would rub on the right fork leg and 2) the left side of the, which floats, would not have had much engagement with the fork leg at the clamp.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:28 PM
MotoGP

Not sure why you had that problem but with both my 01 and 06 gsxr1000 forks everything lined up perfectly. Maybe it's the wheel, rotor combo I don't know but axle is tight and nothing drags. Just curious jamie what parts did you use?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 PM
SuperBike

Not sure why you had that problem but with both my 01 and 06 gsxr1000 forks everything lined up perfectly. Maybe it's the wheel, rotor combo I don't know but axle is tight and nothing drags. Just curious jamie what parts did you use?
I'm running the following parts:

2001 GSXR750 forks and axle (maybe the axle is from a 600)
Stock VTR wheel with CBR1100XX rotors
Bearings in wheel for larger GSXR axle
CBR954 triples

I'm guessing it's the wheel that casused the need for the spacers, but they were certainly necessary.