Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Fork Springs - Sonic vs. Racetech?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:41 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
Fork Springs - Sonic vs. Racetech?

I'm still dealing with a lump of a Visa bill on the new bike and gear, but I feel I need to address the wimpy fork springs ASAP. I'm going to try 0.90kg/mm springs first, and then plan on a revalving later (unless someone here convinces me not to). I see Sonic springs are $79 and Racetech $119. Anybody have experience with Sonic? Any reason to spend $40 more? Thanks for any & all 4-1-1.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I have Racetech in mine. Makes a huge difference over stock. I have no experience with Sonic.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:56 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I've only had racetech's in the past and they work but I think you're paying for their name/reputation which they've earned. I'd go with the sonics if it were me. If you'll be adding the racetech internals later, I'd order the spring rate they call for if it's different from sonics suggestion.

Do a fluid change/cleaning while you're at it. They will need it badly.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:24 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by motojoe
I have Racetech in mine. Makes a huge difference over stock. I have no experience with Sonic.
Ditto

But if ur in there - U might as well re-valve it at same time + fluids

Do it right the 1st time
Old 08-30-2008, 08:07 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i have sonics & recommend them. they dyno test every spring just like all the other players & they're a bit cheaper....
look at my track pics & you'll see i push my 'hawk about as hard as you can.
i still have stock valves and ran 7w w/ 140mm air gap, rebound was just about max'd with .95g springs ( me :180lbs )
edit: for the fall i'm trying 10w w/ 155mm gap.

been in my forks for 2 yrs.

tim

Last edited by trinc; 08-30-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:55 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I have Sonics, too. Same quality spring as Racetech I think.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:17 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Thanks all. I took a look at the Honda shop manual and saw you have to take the forks off to do the work I'm new to bikes with motors on them, so I think I'll have a shop do it for me. I was hoping it was a simple slide out/in from the top. Really not liking the queasy front end, did a ride over country roads today and bottomed out several times just going over asphalt humps and paving transitions.
Attached Thumbnails Fork Springs  - Sonic vs. Racetech?-schussing-geysers-custom-.jpg  
Old 09-01-2008, 06:21 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sablotny
Thanks all. I took a look at the Honda shop manual and saw you have to take the forks off to do the work I'm new to bikes with motors on them, so I think I'll have a shop do it for me. I was hoping it was a simple slide out/in from the top. Really not liking the queasy front end, did a ride over country roads today and bottomed out several times just going over asphalt humps and paving transitions.

Yes, the springs can be removed with the forks on the bike.

For my weight I'm supposed to have 1.0 springs. I've got CBR954 forks on my bike now, but when I was running the stock I never bottomed them out, at least not hard enough to know. It almost sounds like something is up with your damping more so than the springs. How much do you weigh? I'm wondering - if you are bottoming out that bad maybe 0.9's won't be enough.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:25 PM
ReNoob
Squid

I'm 195# without gear, the RaceTech calculator says I should be using 0.90. The PO was equivalent to my size and I don't think touched the forks.

I bottomed out on some very low speed transitions from pavement to gravel, nothing at high speed. Think I'll try the springs first, and if I get into the motorcycle thing hard core I'll do a fork swap later.