Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Exhaust/Slip On Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Back Marker

xecutech is on a distinguished road
Exhaust/Slip On Advice

Ok I think I want the Two Brothers carbon M5 slip ons. Do any of you have them, or have heard them?

If I don't go with these I am considering the Jardine or D&D pipes.

Can someone rank these in terms of sound/loudness? I have read through alot of posts and trying to determine if I should go lower priced D&D or the higher priced 2 bros. I know it depends on what I want and can afford, but if there is not alot of difference in sound and performance, I can save myself around $400 difference!

It's hard choosing pipes online and there are no places that have them where you can see them side by side and hear them.

So, $400 D&D or $800 Two Brothers? I could buy the cheaper pipes and then use the other money for a jet kit and k&n filter.

Just looking for some advice and info from those on here that seem to know their stuff on these bikes.

Also, I am not getting the high mounts, so if that makes any difference.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Back Marker

DocPigskin17 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 2 Bros. Exhaust

I have the full 2 Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust system on my 98 SH. I love it. I only wish I would have gone with the high mount system. I have to say that I love my system, but difference in loudness isn't going to be that much. If $400 difference is a lot to you (it is to me), I would just go less expensive and do the K&N and rejetting.
Good luck
Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Back Marker

GeMs is on a distinguished road
I just bought a pair of the Jardine Black Highmounts RT-1's. I wanted something louder and deeper than the stockers and man did I get what I wanted. Its hard to go by youtube sounds of exhausts and you really do have to hear them side by side. One of the members here heard mine yesterday and he said they sounded pretty sweet. But to each his own.. and the pipes were $447.48 Brand new so it was a good deal.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Back Marker

Thanks guys. I think I am leaning towards the D&D's since I have heard they are the loudest. I guess I am getting back in touch with my cruiser roots and loud pipes.

I have never heard a superhawk with aftermarket pipes! I keep hearing how sweet they are. My friend told me on our last road trip that I have the quietest vtwin sportbike that he has ever heard! That sucked.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
If you really want to save some money do the bafflectomy to the stock pipes-it's free and the pair I did sounded as good or better than any set of pipes, and I've tried alot, that I've had. I cut out the rear baffle and went a step further and put some holes in the next baffle. I went straight from those to d&d's and they sounded just as good. They're also the only pipes that didn't pop on decel. Plus if you're going with low mount polished d&d's the look isnt that much different either. But if you want aftermarket pipes and you like loud you'll like the d&d's. The two bros sound awesome too though. Nice deep tuned sound.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:04 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
+1 for the bafflectomy. If you want loud, regualr height, stainless pipes. Try it one step at a time until you get the desired sound. Start with just drilling holes in first baffle. If you get to the point where you want it louder and holes doesn't cut it, then keep going further into it. I rode around with 6 holes in each side for the longest time and was okay with it. If you do it nice and symetrical it almost looks like it was ment to be there.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Back Marker

Thanks, yeah I am on 3 holes each and it sounded better. I have considered the complete baffle removal, but don't know if I want to do the work... call me lazy.
I also think I just want to spend a little money on my baby!

I am considering the D&D's now. Anyone know the cheapest place to get them online?
Old 05-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
WEll I have had d&d's on my old 98 super thought they sounded like tin cans. I too started out with my 03 superhawk drilling holes, had 6 in each can that sounded great but when I went with the baffelectomy I lost alottttt of low end FUN. just my 2 cents.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I so badly want to steer you away from the D&Ds, partly because of the craftmanship, partly because I don't think they look very good after a year or two, and partly because you're taking a HUGE jump just because you're buddy said you had quiet exhaust. Think realistically. I personally had an RC51 with very loud Harris high mounts and it got annoying really quick. Once I got my 1000RR I enjoyed the quiet exhaust so much that I kept it stock for a year, at least. Personally, my choice would be the Jardines. They have decent quality, look good after a few years, aren't too loud but are loud enough to be noticed and to give the bike more visceral feel/sound, and finally they are priced right. I really don't think you can go wrong with the Jardines. The D&D's will probably get on your nerves (and everyone else's) after about a month.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:24 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I so badly want to steer you away from the D&Ds, partly because of the craftmanship, partly because I don't think they look very good after a year or two, and partly because you're taking a HUGE jump just because you're buddy said you had quiet exhaust. Think realistically. I personally had an RC51 with very loud Harris high mounts and it got annoying really quick. Once I got my 1000RR I enjoyed the quiet exhaust so much that I kept it stock for a year, at least. Personally, my choice would be the Jardines. They have decent quality, look good after a few years, aren't too loud but are loud enough to be noticed and to give the bike more visceral feel/sound, and finally they are priced right. I really don't think you can go wrong with the Jardines. The D&D's will probably get on your nerves (and everyone else's) after about a month.
Shsshh...I am selling my d and ds damn it...But seriously, it's not that bad at all although I must say, it is loud. I also have a set of high mounted hindles and personally, I like those better. But when I brought my silver Hawk, it came with it. I brought it off a friend who brought the bike simply because of the sound of the exhaust. I am selling these D and Ds because of last year's purchase of the carbon WMP and wanted to try something different.

I do have to say the best sounding hawk to me was one with a set of two bothers high mount. But I suppose, it all dependent on personal taste. And given that performance difference on the hawk can be argued to death, it all comes down to sound.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:47 AM
Back Marker

Darkone22 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DocPigskin17
I have the full 2 Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust system on my 98 SH. I love it. I only wish I would have gone with the high mount system. I have to say that I love my system, but difference in loudness isn't going to be that much. If $400 difference is a lot to you (it is to me), I would just go less expensive and do the K&N and rejetting.
Good luck
I have the 2BR carbon fiber highmounts ... Love the look and sound. U will be very happy with them ... trust me... and if u want to see what thay look like (hard to see from avatar) just sind me a Pm and i can email u some pics. The two bros sound awesome. THay have a very unuqie deep tuned sound.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:55 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by calitoz
Shsshh...I am selling my d and ds damn it...But seriously, it's not that bad at all although I must say, it is loud. I also have a set of high mounted hindles and personally, I like those better. But when I brought my silver Hawk, it came with it. I brought it off a friend who brought the bike simply because of the sound of the exhaust. I am selling these D and Ds because of last year's purchase of the carbon WMP and wanted to try something different.

But I suppose, it all dependent on personal taste. And given that performance difference on the hawk can be argued to death, it all comes down to sound.

I do have to say the best sounding hawk to me was one with a set of two bothers high mount.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:02 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by xecutech
Ok I think I want the Two Brothers carbon M5 slip ons. Do any of you have them, or have heard them?

If I don't go with these I am considering the Jardine or D&D pipes.

Can someone rank these in terms of sound/loudness? I have read through alot of posts and trying to determine if I should go lower priced D&D or the higher priced 2 bros. I know it depends on what I want and can afford, but if there is not alot of difference in sound and performance, I can save myself around $400 difference!

It's hard choosing pipes online and there are no places that have them where you can see them side by side and hear them.

So, $400 D&D or $800 Two Brothers? I could buy the cheaper pipes and then use the other money for a jet kit and k&n filter.

Just looking for some advice and info from those on here that seem to know their stuff on these bikes.

Also, I am not getting the high mounts, so if that makes any difference.
I have not seen a set of D and D 's for 400 i have seen jardens but dd are around 600-650
Old 05-04-2007, 06:05 AM
Back Marker

http://www.motorsports-network.com/c...VTR1000%20(all)

some really good prices on TBR
Old 05-05-2007, 05:17 AM
Squid

thedawk is on a distinguished road
Although I haven't seen the new 2Bros M5 cans on a Superhawk yet, I think they look really nice and would look much better than the D&Ds. I have seen and heard several with the older C2, C4 and C5 cans from 2Bros and they sounded really good. Right now I have the stockers with bafflectomy (sp?) and the sound is actually pretty decent compared to other aftermarkets. I've had them that way for about 5 or 6 years now. I think it really catches people by surprise when they first hear it, especially when they see the stock pipes on there.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Back Marker

hers a pic of the older tbr
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...1/S5001316.jpg
Old 05-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Squid

FIRE996 is on a distinguished road
Try Ixil

There is another brand that you should consider. Ixil is a pipe manufacturer from Italy and runs a Honda race team there. They make a superb carbon fiber kit for the super hawk that mounts directly under the seat. It even comes with spacers so that you retain the rear pegs. I live in Indianapolis and ordered them a few years ago from www.indysuperbikes.com They are some local guys that have a great website and run a race team on the weekends. They are the best sounding pipes I have ever heard on a hawk and you can bet you won't see them on everybodys bike. Indy Superbikes is the exclusive US retailer. You can check them out on their web site.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Back Marker

Well I went with the d&d's and they are loud as hell, but I love the tone.
I think I should start wearing ear plugs though. I rode 300 miles last weekend and my ears were numb after riding. Hey, I said they were loud.

I love the look on cager's faces when I pull next to them. especially when I see they are on the cell phone!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:13 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by FIRE996
There is another brand that you should consider. Ixil is a pipe manufacturer from Italy and runs a Honda race team there. They make a superb carbon fiber kit for the super hawk that mounts directly under the seat. It even comes with spacers so that you retain the rear pegs. I live in Indianapolis and ordered them a few years ago from www.indysuperbikes.com They are some local guys that have a great website and run a race team on the weekends. They are the best sounding pipes I have ever heard on a hawk and you can bet you won't see them on everybodys bike. Indy Superbikes is the exclusive US retailer. You can check them out on their web site.
I found the ixil exhaust for the superhawk, but I couldn't find an undertail configuration. only for cbr's. where do I look?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Squid

FIRE996 is on a distinguished road
They are technically called high mounts. they mount just under the seat. you have to remove the rear turn signals if you haven't already. I will send you some pics of mine tomorrow. I don't have any here at work today.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Squid

RacerX is on a distinguished road
My 2c
I have a set of the TBCF pipe and 24k on the bike, burned out the packing and got some nice discoloration on the carbon. (re-packed them twice before this happened). Absolutely loved the sound and a definite improvement in performance and weight savings. Just picked up a set of Leo V High mounts and will install this weekend. Anxious to see how they perform by comparison.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:30 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
can anybody list out the pipes from quiet to loud ?

i've got an old set of TBR high mounts that i'm thinking about pulling off. i LOVE the sound but they really are too loud. ( not for me... i wear ear plugs )

i even repacked them with that new silent sport packing - a little different but not much. any other way to quiet them down a bit ?

tim
Old 06-01-2007, 11:06 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
2 Bros. Hi mounts. A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Squid

Aeineralus is on a distinguished road
Stock exhaust modification

Just wondering for the guys who modified their stock exhaust...how did you do it exactly? I have an 04 superhawk, and i like the look of the stock exhaust, and I hate the badging on aftermarket exhaust. I( want it to be noticiably louder...now is there jetting issues? any help would be appriciated
Old 06-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
I went the drilling route on my '05. Up to 8 holes per side now and sounds good to me (although I dream of aftermarket one day). I used a 1/4" bit on advise from someone else on here. Just drill through the pipe in the space between the small inner pipe and the larger. See the pic. I started with 4 holes per side and when I first started it I though "Holy crap, I'm glad I didn't do 8 right away"...but that's just the difference from the super-quiet stock sound. No re-jetting issues....runs the same as far as I can tell.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Squid

thanks ....That is a pretty easy mod to do!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
I tried a few holes in the pipes, but it didn't cut it for me. It sounded to me like it had an exhaust leak when it was idling. I did the bafflectomy, and it sounds damned good for free. However, there was a v-twin bike that passed me while I was fueling up that sounded absolutey WICKED! It sounded like an old big block muscle car. I couldn't tell if it was a 'hawk or not, because it was almost dark and the bike was black. I could tell, however that the pipes were a bit shorter than the stock cans on the hawk, and bigger in diameter. I want that sound on my bike!! Absoluty awesome.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Squid

yeah i tried the drill holes, 4 was still quiet, 8 was still queit 12...sounds ok, i want to try either the muzzy or d&d full, non slip on exhaust...I want my in-laws to hear it when she starts!
Old 06-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Squid

GP996 is on a distinguished road
Good evening....
I just purchased a set of Akrapovics....racing line, full system....Has anyone heard or tried these out? I have no idea how much harder the bike will pull with these puppies on.....Any ideas? I plan on purchasing a K&N air filter, but don't know what size or brand of jets to buy. Would anyone happen to know what I should go with? Thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Squid

2000vtr is on a distinguished road
I ve had both the two bros. & the jardine high mounts. Two bros were louder but i still have the jardines with the two bros head pipe. works great sounds great. plus you can find them for alot less than the two bros. just my take on it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust/Slip On Advice