Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Exhaust Advice AND new to Chicago area

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Squid

redhawk4dpt is on a distinguished road
Exhaust Advice AND new to Chicago area

I need some advice: I have a 2002 Hawk that I bought used (it was super clean) with 2 Bros slip on cans. It is my understanding that the carbs don't need jetting but...I have issues with hiccupping and acceleration delay. I was told that my Hawk is running lean. Members on this site suggested to shim the needles or even jet the carbs. I have also been told that Jardines are the best and are the only company that runs performance tests.

My question: should I keep the 2 Bros cans and jet the carbs? Or should I buy the Jardines?

Also, I just moved to the Chicago area and would like some advice on: winter storage, riding buddies, and any other advice local residents can offer.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Squid

bigbob65 is on a distinguished road
jardines i was so ******* suprised when i switched from d and d to the jardine race baffled high mounts i gained so much on the bottom end

took it to the dyno again and i gained 2 hp and 3 ftlbs at 4000rpm

and they look so sexy i wanna hump my bike
Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Did you have a K&N or are you running a stock air filter? Because changing to a K&N requires a rejet.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Squid

bigbob65 is on a distinguished road
if i put in the k and n and ive got the jardines could i just raise the needles?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Not likely. That will require rejetting too.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Squid

I am currently running a K&N but...I had the same issues with the stock filter. Help!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:52 AM
MotoGP

To verify that it is running lean, run with the choke partly out, if that helps you are for sure running lean. Then try going back to a paper filter see if it improves. If you want to run a K&N you have to rejet the bike.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:31 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
you should rejet either way. I live in Aurora IL. check out www.chicagoriders.com.

its a great resource with riders from all over the chicagoland area. it talks about group rides, tech help, get togethers track days, local bike events, everything you need. even weather updates. hope this helps. oh and on that forum my name is "swordfish" there as well.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:26 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
If you're already having performance issues then it is probably time to start checking around for some good tuners in your area. Chicago is likely to have several but you're going to have to ask around. Hit Craig's list and ask for referrals. You'll get some answers then it's up to you to check it out, visit the shops and choose a mechanic. If they're known for what they do - they will own their own dyno or be right next door to the guy that does.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Squid

Thanks all!

I will try running it with the choke on a bit. I am just wondering still...are the 2 Bros slip ons better than the Jardines?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:36 PM
MotoGP

My Superhawk blew a pair of 2Bros CF before I got it from PO. He mounted some stockers to off the bike after his wife laid down the law. Didn't even put the doughnuts in. I installed the Jardines and I'm happy overall. Their customer service sucks and if you need parts - own the bank.

And I don't mean to sound like a purist, or a expert mechanic, I don't think this is the type of thing that you adjust with the choke. You'll probably make things worse by fouling a set of plugs, backfiring up through the carbs, and God only knows.

If I have learned one thing from hangin' with these guys is that the Superhawk is a very highly "tuned" machine. You can't change anything and it has this system (from the air cleaner to the muffler) wide affect. That's why professional tuners are so valuable for this MC. But it's not like once you do it - it has to be done like oil changes. Once it's done and you operate the bike clean and take care of it - it's a haul *** MF all day long and never needs to be redone unless other maintainence requires removal of the carbs.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:46 PM
MotoGP

Long Beach to Chitown? You're in for a bit of a change!

If you're a sailor, Michigan is an excellent big boat lake. I have friends in the area in the yacht business.

Used to date a United flight attendant from there. Love the city but I'm sure it's changed a lot.

Do the Craig's list referral thing for a tuner - hang out for a while and see what people say. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The choke can be used as a tuning tool to check for proper carburetion. You will probably not foul plugs, and if you do modern spark plugs are self cleaning as long as you get the mixture away from the rich side.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:29 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
The choke can be used as a tuning tool to check for proper carburetion. You will probably not foul plugs, and if you do modern spark plugs are self cleaning as long as you get the mixture away from the rich side.
I thought I said that
Old 06-20-2007, 11:46 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
local chitown dealerships:

des planes honda (shady)
Chicago cycles(shady)
Dupage Honda(expensive)
DGY(expensive)
fox valley honda(my favorite)

b & b kawisaki (s. elgin)(good guys)
MCC cycles triumph,ducati, mv augusta(expensive of course)

those will get you started. do a search for any of them.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Originally Posted by nuhawk
I thought I said that
Okay Doug, now you're confusing me. You said:

"And I don't mean to sound like a purist, or a expert mechanic, I don't think this is the type of thing that you adjust with the choke. You'll probably make things worse by fouling a set of plugs, backfiring up through the carbs, and God only knows."

It sounded like you were not agreeing with me. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Squid

westcoast is on a distinguished road
You may also want to check your throttle position sensor on the carbs and make sure it is at the factory recommended resistance(i think it is 525 ohms). I checked mine and it was set at 800 ohms. When I recalibrated it, my bike no longer hiccupped and didnt sputter on low end. I also did the dyno jet stage 1 kit along with staintune high mounts.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Squid

I appreciate all of the advice gang!

Firstly, I did run the bike with the choke out a bit and it hiccupped less. So...it's running lean. I guess my dilemma is that I want to make the Hawk run the way it should without putting band-aids on something that doesn't really work well in the first place. A couple buddies of mine (one, a enthusiast and my mentor; the other a Duc mechanic with his first shop) said the 2 Bros are garbage. I don't want to jet the carbs if it is just a band-aid for the 2 Bros.

So I guess I am looking for the best solution for the bike even if it costs a bit more. If the Jardines are superior then maybe I should get those?

I don't mean to complicate the issue, and I really appreciate all of the advice, but reviews on exhaust are all over the place making it difficult to make a decision.

Thanks all!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Squid

Tucknroll is on a distinguished road
I have been partial to the TWO Brothers Full system, sounds great, and adding a K&N and jet kit really woke the beast up. Runs like it should have in the first place. Can't say I have ever experienced the Jardin system though, sounds like a good one too.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Although I've never been a huge fan of the TBRs, they are equally as good as the Jardines. Rejetting for them is not a bandaid, it's a FIX! That's exactly what you need to do to get it running at optimum performance.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:13 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Okay Doug, now you're confusing me. You said:

"And I don't mean to sound like a purist, or a expert mechanic, I don't think this is the type of thing that you adjust with the choke. You'll probably make things worse by fouling a set of plugs, backfiring up through the carbs, and God only knows."

It sounded like you were not agreeing with me. Sorry if I misunderstood.
No offense taken. I just had a vision of this guy going down the road with one hand on the choke and the other hand on the throttle trying to make the bike run properly while he's out trying to enjoy his new bike. As you say, great for a test. But no way to get around town.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I say the two bros sound a tad better than the jardines, and definitely look better. Some folks love their black jardines though.. Eh, I'd still choose two bros anyday.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Squid

Ok...thanks everyone. I will find a mechanic to help jet the carbs and I will report back.

Thanks again!
Old 06-29-2007, 04:09 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
For beer & burgers

Originally Posted by redhawk4dpt
Ok...thanks everyone. I will find a mechanic to help jet the carbs and I will report back.

Thanks again!
Where you at in town? I can help you out with the jetting & TPS for beer & burgers n'costs I have the AL 2bros SOs w/SS & ceramic packing (R yours AL or Carbon?) Big twins & carbon don't mix sometimes, even with the best (a bud has had bad luck with them on his RVT, among others).

We should get together with SwordFish (Aurora/Naperville BTW I lost your email address & name Swordfish). I have my shop in Skokie. We can hookup at the Full Moon on 41 & 137 (the new Highland House since it closed).

As far as a speed shop with a dyno, my bud Jim Rashid of 4&6/Safety First Racing is in Des Planes on E Oakton just west of Elmhust Road (83). He is very good and reasonable (just dont mention my name, hehe). He does not normally take street (ride-in) business per se.

A good place for winter storage (which I don't need) is on Goose Island. Talk to Fred at http://tripleoservice.com/ out there. He does euro & brit but stores bikes with some other guys.

I've heard OK things about Brand's but as I do all my own stuff....

Stay away from Champion & Chicago Cycle!

Also see...

http://chicago.citysearch.com/yellow...587/page1.html
Old 06-30-2007, 07:33 AM
Squid

Hey skokievtr!

That would be great! I am very close...I live in Evanston. I would prefer to do my own work but I am very green when it comes to motorcycle repair. Bicycles all day long, but motorcycles...well, I have some work to go yet.

So you have a shop? Would you be able to order me the jet kit? I have the AL 2 Bros slip ons. I am anxious to get this done since the hiccupping is driving me crazy! Just let me know what works for you.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Squid

Phildo's996 is on a distinguished road
Jets?

It was mentioned that a jet kit is required for the K & N to work properly....anybody got any ideas of what jets or any thing that would work in NY...just started riding road and got a filter coming...
Old 06-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
love my two bros!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:43 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Phildo's996
It was mentioned that a jet kit is required for the K & N to work properly....anybody got any ideas of what jets or any thing that would work in NY...just started riding road and got a filter coming...
My feel for it is that Factory is the preferred jet kit as it is easier to install and tune, but the DynoJet one is of equal quality, though it is a bit more difficult to install.

The Factory page for the SH is here: http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodh77.html

But you might be able find the kit cheaper elsewhere.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Originally Posted by Phildo's996
Where exactly is "Central NY" for you? I'm west of Saratoga if you ever need some help wrenching. Jetting depends on other mods such as exhaust and intake mods. You mentioned the K&N of course, but you did not mention brand of aftermarket or stock.