Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Engine Rebuild after lowside

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Squid

ride57 is on a distinguished road
Engine Rebuild after lowside

I decided that after inspecting my motor, that I will rebuild it. I found some dirt/grit inside the trans next to open roller bearings.

So, a set of JE pistons has just been ordered.

But I need gasket/bearing kit. I have heard and thought I saw somewhere that there is a A and a B gasket set. What is the difference? I sorta want to replace the roller bearings because if there is dirt/grit inside one, I dont think washing/flushing the bearings out is a gaurantee that I will get all the dirt out.

So can anyone help with what gasket set I need ie: do bearings come with it, or are they ordered separatly?

I'm also eyeballing the fender eliminator at 58cycle. $128, any body have one?

I have a idea of how to build a hoist/lift/support for the back of the bike to support while taking rear tire/swingarm, engine out. I will post a pic after I get it built.

Thanks

Doug

ETA: I went to the dentist today and came home with a bottle of painkillers and cant spell tonifght

Last edited by ride57; 09-28-2007 at 10:30 PM. Reason: cant spell!
Old 09-29-2007, 05:15 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
You should definitely change all the bearings that are suspicious to you, even if you change one that is not required, it will at least buy you confidence and the last thing you want is to start over again. Are you in a garage ?? If so you may attach a crank style strap to the passenger peg on the opposite side of the sidestand to the celling and crank it until the wheel is barely off the ground. When you will take the engine out is another story tough.
I think I would hang the whole bike in the air, but that's me, I'm cheap
Old 09-29-2007, 05:44 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
there are two gasket sets. I would ask the service manager at a local honda shop for specific part numbers and what is included in each set - I think they were pretty complete but there may be some other odd pieces you'll need. The bearings for the crank and conrod have to be ordered by the codes on the cranks (I think there are 3 color/size codes) so you have to wait till you have the motor down to that point to order those (maybe you already do). I agree if you are going to all the work to tear it down you might as well rebuild it completely - its mostly labor.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:35 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
ride57:

When I went to my local Honda dealer the other day, they lifted my bike with tie-down straps attached to the seat posts, remove the seat and they are the metal loops fixed to the frame were the seat clips into, and they raised it with a warner wench attached to an I beam.

You could use a pulley system instead of the wench attached to a attic floor joist.

Just an idea
Old 10-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Squid

Well, motor is out so now I get to start taking it apart.

What is used for a motor stand, or do you just do it on the bench?

Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Aw, man. That almost brings a tear to my eye...

Good luck with the rebuild. Gonna do any performance parts while you have the motor open?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:09 PM
SuperBike

benchtop is what I used. you'll have it down to split cases in no time anyway.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Squid

Improvements are: JE pistons, RC45 throttle tube. I already have Moriwaki cams and dynojet installed.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Squid

Well, got the heads off tonoght. The cross hatching looks new.

rear piston

front piston

rear head

And for some reason I deleted the front head pic

Last edited by ride57; 10-17-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
lookin like your getting there man
Old 10-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ride57
The cross hatching looks new.

Not surprising, actually. After 25k miles my clutch steels still looked like new too! Typical Honda quality (minus the CCTs of course).
Old 10-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Squid

Getting things together

Last payday I bought a large "C" clamp for a homemade valve compressor. I also bought a 23mm socket that I am going to cut out a side on. I will use the socket to go over the valve retainer and the cut out side is so I can get to the keepers. I am going to cut out a small piece of wood to protect the valve head from the C clamp. I also picked up a B gasket set.

I also bought a hand lapper and compound today. Since there is only 11k miles on it, I really dont think I will need to do much more than hand lapping.

This payday I will get the alt cover and associated gaskets and a couple open bearings in the tranny that I want to replace.

Still waiting for a mid-pipe and mounting hardware.

And I still need to get a hone for breaking the glaze.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Superstock

I think you work faster then me
Old 11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Ensure you THOROUGHLY wash the cylinders out with hot, soapy water after the hone. Follow up with some brake parts cleaner and finally WD-40 or light oil to protect from corrosion until she's together. Failure to clean the cylinder walls will cause very rapid ring and cylinder wall wear.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Ensure you THOROUGHLY wash the cylinders out with hot, soapy water after the hone. Follow up with some brake parts cleaner and finally WD-40 or light oil to protect from corrosion until she's together. Failure to clean the cylinder walls will cause very rapid ring and cylinder wall wear.
+1 on cleaning the bejesus out of it. Now to pose a question though, I kept my old car engine clean with wd40 on the pistons as you mentioned to prevent corrosion....and I was told WD40 might actually penetrate into the rings and whatnot and screw up the metal's properties. Mythbusters??
Old 11-09-2007, 06:47 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

I don't think you can mess up the metal proprieties with WD-40, the only snag is that it's thin and it will (at least partly) evaporate. I washed my cylinders with ATF until the rags were coming out as clean as new, I used diff oil to coat the cylinders while buttoning up the rest of the engine, a light coat of white grease would do, in fact whatever is thick enought to stay there until initial start up and lube until the oil flow trough the rod bearings and spray the underside of the piston
Old 11-09-2007, 07:59 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Another 2 cents on engine building...get you and old fashioned oil squirt can and liberally squirt everything in the Bottom End as you reassemble, remeber that you have drained every drop of oil out of her. Prime the oil pump! When you have filled the crankcase turn the Kill switch off and crank her with the starter motor till the oil light goes off...that should ensure oil has gotten to all of those internal passages..then and only then fire her up. I also have some thoughts on top end assembly but I'll keep those tricks to myself for now.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:09 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
Another 2 cents on engine building...get you and old fashioned oil squirt can and liberally squirt everything in the Bottom End as you reassemble, remeber that you have drained every drop of oil out of her. Prime the oil pump! When you have filled the crankcase turn the Kill switch off and crank her with the starter motor till the oil light goes off...that should ensure oil has gotten to all of those internal passages..then and only then fire her up. I also have some thoughts on top end assembly but I'll keep those tricks to myself for now.
+1 on this, if you want to go further, do this with the plugs still off the heads, 0 loads on the bearings since no compression at all.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Actually I agree with the no plugs completely..I just forgot to mention it and that also means you can do this before you reinstall the fuel tank and lines so when you do you're ready for fire!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Two words: Assembly Lube
Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Squid

I used to use STP when I rebuilt car motors back in the 70's. I would just gob it on crank/rod/bearings etc. Now I use assembly lube. I have Crane or Honda.

I ordered the last (I think) of the parts I need. still not here yet.

But, here is the C clamp/modified socket valve keeper removal tool!
( I think Im gonna do the heads last though)

Old 11-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Squid

Got the cases split saturday So hopefully I will get time this week to get the bearings out/measured and order the crank and rod bearings. That ~should~ be all the parts I need.

wear pattern on the lower crank bearing
Old 11-19-2007, 06:48 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I am so intimidated! I am an ace when it comes to changing the oil & filter, though.

Last edited by L8RGYZ; 11-19-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Squid

Well, got the tranny gears and pistons out today

Old 11-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Superstock

crap I need to step my game up...if I was not so busy with school (I am mid paper as I type this) this would make me want to head down to the garage
Old 11-26-2007, 09:12 AM
SuperBike

good time to change the shift star and spring - I know some think its overkill but I noticed a big improvement in the slickness of shifting with the Factory pro stuff.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:02 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
It looks like that shift drum SHOULD be made of titanium. Just my thoughts...
Old 12-08-2007, 10:40 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Hers's a couple suggestions:

I would put a VERY light coat of oil in the cylinders before assembly. The rings need to rub the cylinder walls to seat. Put some oil on the piston skirts. You can do a light crosshatch with 800 grit sandpaper and WD40. It won't remove a measurable amount of material, so honing is not necessary.

Put a film container into the lifter bores before you remove the valves!! You don't want to ding them at all.

For the best engine life, I would cut new valve seats. the exhaust valves especially rely on heat transfer from seat conatact area. the seats and valve faces will start to pit. Probably already have. They worse they get, the faster they get worse.

Also, if it were me, I would clean the trans bearings in very clean solvent, like new paint thinner several times. Do not spin them on your finger with shop air. It's a good way to lose a finger. You can tell if they are clean. they will roll very smoothly. they are well lubricated in the engine and will continue to get cleaner over time.

Last edited by RCVTR; 12-08-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Squid

Well, a month or so later, and I still need to get the bearings

Hopefully this weekend I will sell a rifle and get the parts.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Squid

Well, got the bearings, and started to put in the new JE pistons. But, of course it cant be easy, since Im doing it, there must be an ordeal. Minr is, Im having one hell of a time getting the pistons in.

They just dont wanna go. As soon as the oil ring gets between the ring compressor and the block, it slips out. AArrrrgh ^*^^*))^#@.
Ive tried the size up and down on the ring compressor, holding it against the block as hard as I can, little taps, big taps... I cant go from the bottom (Harley goes from the bottom, I can just use my fingers to finesse it in)

Any tricks??, does one brand of ring compressor work better?

frustrated

And, I dont have my GT1000 anymore, as you can see my avitar is a Ducati 748

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild after lowside