Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Ducati 996 Front End... Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Ducati 996 Front End... Thoughts?

Hey V T R fans,

It looks like I'll be obtaining a complete Duc superbike front end, bars, levers, Brembo master, triples, USD forks, Brembo calipers, rotors, and a front wheel, etc.

Question is, what do I have to do to make 'er fit? Should I use 929 Triples?

Any advice is so greatly appreciated from you great people!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:51 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
There is a chap on the vtr1000.org who, I beleive, went the route you are proposing. He goes by the name Daz (BTW, this guy has built some of the finest naked VTRs I have ever seen). I will PM you his e-mail address, you can drop him a line and perhaps he can help you.

good luck
Old 07-23-2009, 05:49 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
There is also a guy on Ozfirestorm that has a VTR with a Duke front end on it.

Log on and look for Nudenut.

http://ozfirestorm.com.au/OZFireStorm.html
Old 07-23-2009, 11:02 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Hope it doesnt start making your bike shake and wobble like ducatis on the track do ...
Old 07-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Back Marker

Thanks Mikster and Shayne for suggesting the people to speak to, I will contact them both.

I now have the complete front end:
Sweet Showa Ti-nitrided forks, CRC levers, Brembo masters, Calipers & Rotors, Fast By Faracci clip-ons as well as a Marchesini front wheel. All I now need are the bearings and Triples! I'm going to have the fluid changed in the fork legs before the install though. I'll post up photos as I get going with the install. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Since the forks are Showa's measure the thickness where they clamp to the triple... They should match up nicely to the 929/954 triple on size (I believe)...

Then stick the wheel in with all spacers, and get the width between the forklegs (or the easy route, measure on the Ducati triple)...

If that matches then you're good to go...
Old 07-25-2009, 05:03 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
Since the forks are Showa's measure the thickness where they clamp to the triple... They should match up nicely to the 929/954 triple on size (I believe)...

Then stick the wheel in with all spacers, and get the width between the forklegs (or the easy route, measure on the Ducati triple)...

If that matches then you're good to go...
Great advice, many thanks!

I really want to use the entire assembly with simple adding the 954 or 929 triple. I don't have a Duc triple in front of me at the moment, but hope it all will line up as I have a March front wheel with brembo rotors as well.. Here's a toast for wishful thinking, heh.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:04 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Depending which Duc front end you have, you may/may not be about to use the CBR triples.... I believe the Monster and SS Duc, you may have a shot as they both use 50mm clip ons.... but the 748/996/etc I believe use a 53mm clip on.... which would leave me to believe those forks WONT fit the CBR triples.

You may wanna use a caliper and measure the fork diameters at the top and where the lower triple are located.... you need 50 mm up top, and 54 mm in the area for the lower in order for the CBR stuff to work.

My guess/suggestion... call all ***** bearings as see if there is a set of bearings that fit the Hawk frame and the Duc triples for the front end you have... if there is, I'd think of going this route first, as it should eliminate all sorts of spacer/alignment issues... your big concerns will then be steering clearance (lock to lock) and ride height.

J.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:49 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
Depending which Duc front end you have, you may/may not be about to use the CBR triples.... I believe the Monster and SS Duc, you may have a shot as they both use 50mm clip ons.... but the 748/996/etc I believe use a 53mm clip on.... which would leave me to believe those forks WONT fit the CBR triples.

You may wanna use a caliper and measure the fork diameters at the top and where the lower triple are located.... you need 50 mm up top, and 54 mm in the area for the lower in order for the CBR stuff to work.

My guess/suggestion... call all ***** bearings as see if there is a set of bearings that fit the Hawk frame and the Duc triples for the front end you have... if there is, I'd think of going this route first, as it should eliminate all sorts of spacer/alignment issues... your big concerns will then be steering clearance (lock to lock) and ride height.

J.
You fellas are the best, thanks very much for this advise. I will measure the circum. of the fork tubes (I thought 50mm was a standard, heh). If they don't fit, I'll just sell the lot and shoot for a more modern CBR1K front end.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Back Marker

Fozzy Bear is on a distinguished road
This is nudenuts bike. Known as "The Thing".Thats him standing next to my bike
I'm sure he told me the front end and swingarm were from a 900SS though
Name:  100_3996.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  194.0 KB
Old 07-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Back Marker

I'm just going to get a CBR1k front end instead, better brakes etc.

Thanks for all the input though, fellas.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:54 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear
This is nudenuts bike. Known as "The Thing".Thats him standing next to my bike
I'm sure he told me the front end and swingarm were from a 900SS though
Front end is 900SS, swingarm is a JMC unit to suit the VTR. Some mods were done to get the Duke wheel to fit the swingarm.