Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

DanMoto XG1 Exhaust INSTALLED!

Old 07-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Giant
Squid

Billy16 is on a distinguished road
Not really, Japan has been trying to clone the HD sound for years without success. Single crankpin, different (pot)metallurgy and prehistoric design just too hard to duplicate...I guess. I do think Honda did a nice job of getting the SH to sound similar to a Duc, tho. Not as melodic, but close enough!
Old 07-05-2016, 07:36 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Sound IS a subjective thing. But at a certain point it's a bit much. I just heard a guy yesterday with straight pipes on his new V6 mustang and I swear to God it was DEAFENING, and from across the street! You simply HAVE to be a jackass (and single) to drive around like that. I used to cruise around on my superhawk with open midpipes goofing around every once in awhile and while it sounds pretty wild as you wind past 4-5k rpm it's obnoxious. I also used to pull the clutch in when passing cops because it was THAT loud. Didn't make a habit out of it as I'm not big on being the center of attention, especially for the wrong reasons.

Any set of aftermarket mufflers on a superhawk (not Danmotos because they hardly qualify as mufflers) really sound nothing like a Harley. In fact I tried the conical Danmotos (custom made highmounts) and after owning 6 superhawks over 17 years finally managed to make one sound like **** (though they did look pretty cool). If you're on a budget your best bet is to debaffle the stock mufflers. Once you remove the outer baffle and drill a few holes in the inner baffle they'll sound just as good and will be just as loud as a good aftermarket set, and it costs you a little time and the price of a few drill bits. They are getting harder and harder to find but in the meantime you can keep your eyes peeled on here and ebay for a nice used aftermarket set. Again you'll get the sound with the debaffled stockers but the aftermarket pipes may be more up your alley as far as dropping a few pounds and "the look." Delkevic makes what I feel is a very high quality exhaust for about as cheap as you'll find one new.

Last edited by captainchaos; 07-05-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Squid

bewsted is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Sound IS a subjective thing. But at a certain point it's a bit much. I just heard a guy yesterday with straight pipes on his new V6 mustang and I swear to God it was DEAFENING, and from across the street! You simply HAVE to be a jackass (and single) to drive around like that. I used to cruise around on my superhawk with open midpipes goofing around every once in awhile and while it sounds pretty wild as you wind past 4-5k rpm it's obnoxious. I also used to pull the clutch in when passing cops because it was THAT loud. Didn't make a habit out of it as I'm not big on being the center of attention, especially for the wrong reasons.

Any set of aftermarket mufflers on a superhawk (not Danmotos because they hardly qualify as mufflers) really sound nothing like a Harley. In fact I tried the conical Danmotos (custom made highmounts) and after owning 6 superhawks over 17 years finally managed to make one sound like **** (though they did look pretty cool). If you're on a budget your best bet is to debaffle the stock mufflers. Once you remove the outer baffle and drill a few holes in the inner baffle they'll sound just as good and will be just as loud as a good aftermarket set, and it costs you a little time and the price of a few drill bits. They are getting harder and harder to find but in the meantime you can keep your eyes peeled on here and ebay for a nice used aftermarket set. Again you'll get the sound with the debaffled stockers but the aftermarket pipes may be more up your alley as far as dropping a few pounds and "the look." Delkevic makes what I feel is a very high quality exhaust for about as cheap as you'll find one new.
I certainly was not implying that it sounds identical to a harley. Just saying they are going to have a more similar note to a harley as opposed to a 4 cylinder bike is all.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:11 AM
Squid

I actually end up going back to my D&D's every so often. I just want to switch to a high under tail mount for them.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bewsted
I think that's a pretty subjective opinion. Its a VTWIN so any exhaust you put on the bike will create a similar tone to a Harley.
Subjective opinion? That would be redundant, because it's an opinion. It's intrinsically subjective. Bet your mind is blown, now.

And I'm not saying the sound is similar to a Harley, you seem to have completely misunderstood what I said. After all, different engine engine designs, exhaust setups, and cam profiles lead to different sound. For example, different V8s do not sound the same, and even using the same engine with an h-pipe versus an x-pipe exhaust will produce completely different sounds. Same with the amount of overlap of cams, which will also change the sound. Nay, our 90 degree v-twin sounds much different than the 45 degree twin.

What I am saying that running open headers is douchey, and I alluded to Harley riders (because of the oft-fulfilled stereotype that many riders are familiar with) to create an easily-understand analogy that explained my position on the matter. And yes, that's subjective.

Last edited by Just_Nick; 07-06-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Squid

My mind is indeed blown. You are putting far too much thought into this lol
Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bewsted
My mind is indeed blown. You are putting far too much thought into this lol
There is no such thing.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:41 AM