Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

CUTTING THE CANS

Old 06-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Back Marker

super duper hawk is on a distinguished road
CUTTING THE CANS

Hey does any body know what happens when you cutt the exhaust cans? Does it sound any diffrent or change the horse power? I have Jardines RT-ONES and I saw someone had cutt theirs and it looked cool.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Back Marker

Spaz' is on a distinguished road
Don't do it.

Real R&D goes into the development of an exhaust system and the final product is the way that it is for a reason - be it maximum flow at high RPM's, low end torque improvement, lowered dB levels, smoothing of the powerband, improved gas mileage etc. Everything is a trade off in a way.
All of those things given as an example are considered and balanced by engineers. Each manufacturer comes up with their own idea of "what is best" for the end user. Just because it looked cool doesn't mean that your making real gains where the modification was applied by some "garage cut and splice" job. Shortening the length of the muffler would theoretically improve the flow of exhaust gases, but your altering the nature of the powerband - and once you've cut your $400+ pipes open, your commited. So unless you have the R&D to prove where the right cut is and your looking to settle with the end result... ...don't do it.

Last edited by Spaz'; 06-20-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Squid

MILKMAN65 is on a distinguished road
I did cut my Yosh cans, Pulled the main baffle, welded the cone baffle back in, then proceeded to repack it. The hardest part was drilling thru the rivets. I'll try and get some pictures posted.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:27 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I cut six inches off my Jardines. If there is any difference in power it is too subtle for me to tell. They do sound a little different. Not really better or worse. Just a slightly different tone and slightly louder. The main reason I did it was because I thought that they were ridiculously long. I like the look much better now, but not everybody agrees. There's a pic in my profile.

Mine didn't have any baffles so it was a pretty easy job. Just drill the rivets, cut the can, cut the core, and reassemble.

I say go for it. Unless you're looking for the holy grail of performance. But if you're last name aint Rossi, you probably won't feel any big changes.

Last edited by mboe794; 07-18-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:33 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
My friends RC has cut down Sato pipes. Pretty much the shorter you go, the louder it'll get (saying nothing about thhe affect it has on tuning). His bike sounds fantastic!

Here's a pic and video link from last years "race" we had:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaK3NOrTXMc
You can't ever hear my SH w/ Jardines!

Looking forward to those pics, milkman.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:43 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
R and D bahahahaha! They use the same can for all models of bikes so they aren't really testing the "cans" for model specific performance, mid pipes may actually be a different story though. I think nothing really changes from cutting the can's shorter the except the noise level less packing and distance equals more noise not different performance. Make what you like but my shorter cans actually work better then when they were longer on the old butt dyno.

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  215.0 KB
Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
i cut my Ti remus pipes from 18" down to about 7"...performace no difference from my butt. sound? unreal i love it, the looks are outstanding also. do it