Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Cheap Voltmeter

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 06:27 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Cheap Voltmeter

Here's a cheap voltmeter I picked up at the auto parts store. I know the datel brand is the hot setup for motorcycles but I suspected I was having "issues" with the R/R (groan) and needed something quick to verify.

That it matches the stock guages AND is backlit was just gravy. You can also change the light's color to either red, green, blue, or nuetral. I'm using the red "filter" on mine as the nuetral (bare bulb) is just too bright. This is an automotive unit and it's suggested to wire it into the lighting loom so you can use the auto's dimmer switch.

Being for cars also means it's not waterproof so I'll be covering up the backside with dielectric grease, tape, and shrink wrap. I'm also going to paint the white locking collar on the underside black so it won't stand out so much. I used the position light connection for the hookup so I didn't have to splice into everything.

It reads slightly lower than my digital voltmeter taken directly off the battery (14 on guage vs 14.2 at the battery).
Old 12-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Re: Cheap Voltmeter

Wow, that looks pretty good! I'd like some more pics of your install, if you've got any. I'm more of a visual learner.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:00 PM
faz
Superstock

faz

cool!
Old 12-15-2004, 05:50 PM
MotoGP

Sorry I don't have any other pics of the install but it's really a straight forward deal. My only concerns were the mount location and where to tap into the wiring.

The indicator lights along the right side of the instrument panel are misleading. They are actually in the back of the panel with plastic shafts channeling light up to the top so there is no worry about drilling into them if you stay away from the bottom.

And as I said before, I wired it into the position light connector (now disconnected). I crimped and soldered two male blade electrical connectors to the voltage reading input wires, inserted them into the honda connector along with the +/- lighting wires, and taped it all up good.

I originally had the input wires hooked directly to the battery. Even though I have year around riding, I was concerned that the constant "on" of the guage might run the battery down over time durning crappy weather spells.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:09 PM
faz
Superstock

faz

If I were to connect one myself, I would connect it to the battery terminals directly, but connect it through a normally-open relay and run the relay on/off wire from a headlight or something, so that the volt meter is connected only when the bike is on.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

Faz,

Can you tell me more about this. I'm an electrical dumbass.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:06 PM
MotoGP

I finally got a 30amp relay from radio shack and hooked this up correctly. I tapped into the rear tail light for the keyed 12v source so it won't work while the bike is off; however, I do get a synchronized flickering of the needle when I use the turnsignal.

Otherwise it works like a champ and has performed admirably for nearly a year. Not bad since it's meant as an interior automotive unit. I got the rear wrapped up well with electrical tape, I don't ride in the wet much, and I only hand wash my bike(s). YMMV.

BTW, what ever happen to FAZ. He was pretty active but went total silent.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:05 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

How is it that Faz has 78 points and Superbling has none?

What is that point system?
Old 09-14-2005, 06:51 PM
MotoGP

If having 78 points means you suddenly vanish from the site, I don't want any!

There was a thread about them and their purpose last year but I've forgotten the explanation.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

That's a nice fit: it looks as if it were OEM, and it can definitely come in handy to avoid your being stranded and cussing at the regulator/rectifier.

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR