Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

CCT's

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
CCT's

Not wanting to start lengthy thread about something that has been well discussed on this forum.. Just a couple of comments. Correct a misleading comment.. When setting rear piston to TDC.. Cams will be pointing up and towards each other.. not out.. front piston TDC.. cams pointing up and out...go figure but that's how it is.. Most dramatic thing I noticed before even firing bike..how tight the stock CCT's held the chain...0 deflection really..engine hard to turn over...after installing APE's and setting to spec... engine easy to turn over..1/4 inch deflection... may adjust a little looser when bike is running as per forums... Those chains were incredibly tight stock..bike has 4400 miles on it..

Take Care
Dave
Old 01-20-2007, 08:55 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Dave Wicks
Not wanting to start lengthy thread about something that has been well discussed on this forum.. Just a couple of comments. Correct a misleading comment.. When setting rear piston to TDC.. Cams will be pointing up and towards each other.. not out.. front piston TDC.. cams pointing up and out...go figure but that's how it is.. Most dramatic thing I noticed before even firing bike..how tight the stock CCT's held the chain...0 deflection really..engine hard to turn over...after installing APE's and setting to spec... engine easy to turn over..1/4 inch deflection... may adjust a little looser when bike is running as per forums... Those chains were incredibly tight stock..bike has 4400 miles on it..

Take Care
Dave
Dave, Just curious what the adjustment procedure is for the APE CCT's as i got a pair of ebay a month or so ago , but didn't get any paperwork for proper installation.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
when you say up and outward, and up and inward, are you talking about the marks on the cam sprocket? I'm waiting for my ape's to get here and dreading tearing into a perfect running bike and the honda manual does not go into detail thanks,Neil
Old 01-21-2007, 09:47 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sprhawk neil
when you say up and outward, and up and inward, are you talking about the marks on the cam sprocket? I'm waiting for my ape's to get here and dreading tearing into a perfect running bike and the honda manual does not go into detail thanks,Neil
I took this as he was talking about the tip of the cam lobes
Old 01-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
CCT's

Hey Guys;

I would encourage you to take the time to search this forum..Some very knowledgable guys here. There is a very good walk through on install. I printed it off and used it and manual..Take time..do it right.. Thumper is right on the rear cylinder..when piston at Top Dead Center..where it must be to remove the stock tensioner...when the timing mark is at the correct postion the cam lobs are point up and slighly in..cam timing marks on cam gears are lined up level with top of head...RE..rear exhaust and RI rear intake..you can also check valve lash at that time..timing mark on crank shows up in small window...if it is in the right sequence cams will be like described..or they may be down depressing valves...if like that..rotate Counter clock wise 360 degrees should now be right..I took rear valve cover off..raised front so I could see cams and gears...on the front cylinder at T.D.C. the cam lobs are pointing up and out...this time FE AND FI will be lining up .. You do one cylinder at a time..DO NOT!!! take stock tensioner off until you have achieved TDC...tension on cams from valve springs could cause it to jump and skip on the cam gears taking them out of time...big job to put them back right ...some guys on here have found that out the hard way...Again..check the forum..do search on CCT's...read carefully...do it right

Take Care
Dave