Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

CBR1100XX shock question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Involute is on a distinguished road
CBR1100XX shock question

Howdy folks, another SH newbie here with what is the first of many questions that I’m sure will come.

I’m a day or two from finalizing a deal on an 03 SH and have a question about the rear shock. Based upon the searching I’ve done it appears that the CBR1100XX shock is a relatively close match to the SH Shock. This is a good thing as I have a Wilbers #640 that I bought for my XX that was customized for my fat butt. The Wilbers has a 15mm ride height built in to it so it gets me closer to the 346mm stock length that I think the SH shock has. Based upon the Ohlins site the stock XX shock is 319mm with a stroke of 52mm. The +15mm my Wilbers has puts me at 334mm, just 12mm short of the stock SH length.

Being a relative suspension idiot I’m wondering if it’s just a matter of adding a 12mm shim at the top of the shock and bolting the Wilbers on the SH in order to get myself set up. If so do you think there is enough thread to add another 5mm or so for a total of 17mm in order to raise the ride height a little more than stock to get the quicker steering?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:56 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the site!

I had to do this when I added a short penske cbr900rr shock to superbling.

Yup, you'll do fine assuming you have enough threads. If not, you can press out the bolt from the u-shape bracket and add a longer one. You might have to grind some of the bolt head off to clear the top of the shock. A carriage bolt tack welded into the bracket would solve that issue.

If you've been reading up on the VTR, you know front end work (especially at your weight) will also be needed.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Originally Posted by superbling
Welcome to the site!

I had to do this when I added a short penske cbr900rr shock to superbling.

Yup, you'll do fine assuming you have enough threads. If not, you can press out the bolt from the u-shape bracket and add a longer one. You might have to grind some of the bolt head off to clear the top of the shock. A carriage bolt tack welded into the bracket would solve that issue.

If you've been reading up on the VTR, you know front end work (especially at your weight) will also be needed.
Thank you sir!

Yea, I know a fat boy like me will need to re-spring the front. I've had pretty good luck with 1.1's on my XX and playing with oil weight. Maybe if I spend more time at the track I'll send the forks out to have it done right. I'm just elated to know that my Wilbers can be easily used.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Bleh

I just read through the info on my Wilbers. It's a 15mm ride height increase, not a 15mm longer shock so I'm looking at a 1.150" spacer. It looks like I'll be needing to press out the stinking bolt and replace it with a longer one. It's been years since I've done this stuff on a bike without a center stand so I'll have to get creative or buy a stand of some sort.

On the bright side................I pick up my new toy tonight!

Does anyone make 1.1 front springs for the SH or is Race Tech 1.0's the firmest out there?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:50 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Involute
Bleh
It's been years since I've done this stuff on a bike without a center stand so I'll have to get creative or buy a stand of some sort.
Sorry but a rear stand won't help with shock removal. Without a centerstand, you'll need to suspend the rear of the bike. The good news is the subframe has a cross brace behind the battery compartment that is a good spot for the straps. I used HD ratcheting tie downs looped over the garage rafters.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Originally Posted by superbling
Sorry but a rear stand won't help with shock removal. Without a centerstand, you'll need to suspend the rear of the bike. The good news is the subframe has a cross brace behind the battery compartment that is a good spot for the straps. I used HD ratcheting tie downs looped over the garage rafters.
Yea, I should have been more specific. I plan on using the stand just to keep the bike upright (and for storage). I was going to get some straps under the *** end and hang her from the ceiling. I've yet to look under there for a good spot for the straps and you just told me where it is. Thanks.

Did I mention I'm bringing it home tonight?

Do you guys recommend keeping it in the garage with my other bikes for the first night or leaving it in the back yard until they all get aquainted?