Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Ohlins shock gripe and question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:52 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Ohlins shock gripe and question

Well I finally installed the Ohlins shock I bought a little ways back (used). Was kinda pissed that I had to sit there and grind down the inside of the upper mount to get the shock to fit in it and be able to tighten the bolt. For what these things cost new (and used) don't you think they should fit as well and the stock p.o.s. does? Anyway does anyone make or know of where I can get a proper bracket for the reservoir? Again for what these things cost those cheap hose clamps they come with are pretty weak, and on top of that they don't stay put because the reservoir sits on the bend in the subframe, so one clamp slides one way and one slides the other as you tighten them.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:07 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
pipe clamps is basically what everyone uses. either that or zip ties. also for what it's worth my fox shock had the same issue with the spacers. they were like 2mm too big. no clue why. I think maybe for some weird reason the 98 has a smaller gap then the 99 and newer ones... cause the shock I have was installed on marmaladeboy's bike with no probs...

here's my solution btw

I've since removed that sticker cause it was making the clamp slip but that's it... isn't going anywhere
Old 09-20-2006, 06:23 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm, strange my much cheaper Bitubo shock fit perfectly.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:42 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
Hmmm, strange my much cheaper Bitubo shock fit perfectly.
How is that shock by the way? I don't really notice that the stock shock is not good, I guess I just don't know what to feel for, etc....
Old 09-20-2006, 06:56 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cliffhangerstx
How is that shock by the way? I don't really notice that the stock shock is not good, I guess I just don't know what to feel for, etc....
Nice, lots of adjustments to confuse yourself with. You won't really notice the stock shock until you start pushing it harder but it's way undersprung plus the fact I'm too heavy doesn't help either.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:21 AM
SuperBike

yeah I'm too heavy for my spring too (working on it. heh) but we cranked up the preload to compensate and bumped the ride height. mine was revalved and rebuilt and well it kicks ***. it's a much more firm ride and definetely allows for quicker steering and dropping into turns. once I'm at the specified weight for the spring it'll probably be light years better then now even
Old 09-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Well talk about weight, I am 5' ll' and 260lbs ...feels pretty firm when riding alone, but when 2 up with wife, she is prob 130 ish, then there is a noticeable difference in handling....makes sense though....but still, for the stock shock to handle me, that is not bad...imo....
Old 09-20-2006, 04:28 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cliffhangerstx

I haven't even had a chance to even ride it yet. I took alot of the bike apart because I'm going to begin swapping the RC51 front end, so it's going to be down for a little while. I don't race this bike or do track days (yet) so on the street it's probably more bling than anything else. In all honesty I never had much fault with the stock suspension, and I used to ride my old superhawk pretty hard. I suppose it really only shows it's limits with a pretty skilled rider on a track. Never was thrilled with the brakes though, which is one of the things I'm looking forward to with the front end swap (more bling...), although there are much easier and cheaper methods for improving them. Whatever, even buying everything used the upgrades alone are worth more than the friggin taurus I drive everyday-it's my bad habit...
Old 09-20-2006, 04:34 PM
SuperBike

you'll notice the difference on the street as long as you get someone to set it up properly for you. you can do it yourself but getting a pro to do it helps
Old 09-20-2006, 04:48 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by EngineNoO9
you'll notice the difference on the street as long as you get someone to set it up properly for you. you can do it yourself but getting a pro to do it helps
Well I did get lucky that at least with regards to my weight. This shock was already set up by the previous owner at the same weight as me so thats a good start. Regarding what I said previously about the stock suspension, I guess I did notice the difference when I swapped rides with a buddy who had a 916 Ducati a few years back. Other than everyone on the road staring at me and the insane lean angles possible with that bike (the stupid things you do when you're young with someone elses 15k motorcycle) I didn't notice the differences until I got back on my superhawk. To my disappointment the superhawk front end felt like a 20 year old bike all of a sudden. But then again Honda never designed them to be racebikes. "Sporting streetbike" I believe was the term. Now they could still haul *** around a track pretty good stock-I believe Motorcyclist ran basically identical lap times with one and a yzf1000, and it was faster than a Triumph Daytona. And this was perfect for folks like me who ride at an 8/10 pace-it's just a much easier bike to ride fast, and I could pass all my friends in the turns on their faster but more demanding bikes. The gsxr600 racebike turned streetbike I had had aftermarket EVERYTHING on it but I was not good enough to tap that bikes potential, and hence was always faster and more comfortable on the superhawk. It never felt like it was trying hard enough. I must say though the engine on that Ducati felt a little weak compared to the Honda though-more like a 600. Whack the throttle at 4k rpm on the superhawk and the tank hits you in the face. On the Ducati I just kinda sat there and waited for the rpm's to climb...I can't wait to finish it and do some riding to see the improvements.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:53 PM
MotoGP

Sorry I guess I should've been more specific. You will notice a difference,(overall ride and the way it soaks up the bumps), but what I meant was you don't really notice how BAD the old shock is until you start pushing the limits of the bike. IMO
Old 09-20-2006, 05:37 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superhawk22
Sorry I guess I should've been more specific. You will notice a difference,(overall ride and the way it soaks up the bumps), but what I meant was you don't really notice how BAD the old shock is until you start pushing the limits of the bike. IMO
Yeah I guess if all you know is the stock stuff you kinda don't know what you're missing. I do remember there WAS a noticeable difference between the stock and penske shock on that gsxr I had-even for me. And I say that 'cause like I said I don't race. Darned if I didn't see a superhawk on ebay a ways back with an Ohlins shock and he had a sweet aluminum bracket for the reservior. Must have had it made custom. I just think these hose clamps look kinda cheap. Any ideas?