Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Boyesen X-Wing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:31 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Keep going mate!

Why have you dispensed with the coolant bottle? I am curious because I intend to move mine and the thermo housing as I want the v section exposed!

I run an electric pump so it shouldn't be a problem I hope!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kenmoore
Keep going mate!

Why have you dispensed with the coolant bottle? I am curious because I intend to move mine and the thermo housing as I want the v section exposed!

I run an electric pump so it shouldn't be a problem I hope!
Here's the scoop. I found that my hands simply did not fit through the frame to be able to adjust Jack Flash's fuel screws with the stock coolant bottle in place. So, I used a smaller than stock, aftermarket coolant bottle and relocated it behind the right radiator. The smaller coolant bottle actually fit behind the stock fairing, hiding it, which was fantastic.
I had requests to make and sell these relocation kits. But before I would sell any with my name attached, I wanted to thoroughly test and make sure that the smaller size coolant bottle would work correctly (and it does!). I had easy access to put the stock coolant bottle back in and see what would happen if someone was to do the same thing after installing a coolant bottle relocation kit. After I find the results of this one last test, the kits will be made available.
So, I did not get rid of the coolant bottle.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:25 PM
SuperBike

Too cool mate, can you post pics of what you have done.

I won't be able to do this job for a while but it's on my ever growing list of things to do.

Need some inspiration.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Back Marker

sjscicluna is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Here's the scoop. I found that my hands simply did not fit through the frame to be able to adjust Jack Flash's fuel screws with the stock coolant bottle in place. So, I used a smaller than stock, aftermarket coolant bottle and relocated it behind the right radiator. The smaller coolant bottle actually fit behind the stock fairing, hiding it, which was fantastic.
I had requests to make and sell these relocation kits. But before I would sell any with my name attached, I wanted to thoroughly test and make sure that the smaller size coolant bottle would work correctly (and it does!). I had easy access to put the stock coolant bottle back in and see what would happen if someone was to do the same thing after installing a coolant bottle relocation kit. After I find the results of this one last test, the kits will be made available.
as ken said put up some pics or start an new thread id be interested as well to see what has been done
Old 07-20-2014, 03:43 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I need one of these. Sign me up.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:07 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
This does sound good as that coolant bottle is clumsy.

I am sure we all want pictoral proof/ pretty pictures to see how you did it.

Also what about the price or maybe you could just point out where you sourced the bottle.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I would be happy to show you guys what I used, bracket dimmensions, and size/length of lines needed.

The kit would be for the people that don't have time to source the parts and/or the means to make the bracket.

When I hook the relocated coolant bottle back up (I don't have any pictures of it hooked up), I will make a seperate thread and link to it here. Just give me a few days guys.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Back Marker

sjscicluna is on a distinguished road
I would be happy to show you guys what I used, bracket dimmensions, and size/length of lines needed.

The kit would be for the people that don't have time to source the parts and/or the means to make the bracket.

When I hook the relocated coolant bottle back up (I don't have any pictures of it hooked up), I will make a seperate thread and link to it here. Just give me a few days guys.
Thanks mate

maybe we can do an air box extension down into the V once bottle is removed and scoops to force air in from the sides of the motor as well.. but that will be another thread also
Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sjscicluna
Thanks mate

maybe we can do an air box extension down into the V once bottle is removed and scoops to force air in from the sides of the motor as well.. but that will be another thread also
Oh, now thats an idea. just need a very small filter.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:59 PM
SuperBike

Any pics?
Old 08-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by kenmoore
Any pics?
Of the relocated coolant bottle or the X-Wing? I got called out of town again for work, and I haven't taken any pictures of anything yet. I promise I will when I get back this Saturday (8/9)
Old 08-09-2014, 02:50 PM
SuperBike

Coolant bottle relocation pics would be great!

Looking for ideas as almost finished current project!
Old 08-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Just got back home from working out of state. Let me get settled in and I'll take some pictures tonight or tomorrow. I PROMISE to post them no later than tomorrow ;-)
Old 08-09-2014, 04:59 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
perhaps the coolant bottle talk could be moved to a new thread.... this was supposed to be about the X-Wing (if in doubt, read title and original post)........ thanks
Old 08-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Yeah, if one of the mods/admins could move the coolant stuff, that would be great!
Old 08-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I just got permision to run my bike for free on a dyno at a motorcycle dealership near me. I have a buddy who works there and said to bring 'er in any Saturday. So, instead of messing with my Veypor gauge, we can have back to back dyno runs with the X-Wing! How cool is that!?

Now, I just need to find the time. Possibly in two weeks I can get in there and see what happens. Thier dyno has a big fan that has a lot of CFM, so hopefully this will give us some kind of real world results.

Good news guys...good news! :-)

EDIT: Coolant relocation thread here

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 08-15-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Coolant thread
Old 08-15-2014, 08:38 PM
MotoGP

awesome! Looking forward to hearing about your results

BTW, found this: Custom 2 into 1 Exhaust - Page 3 - SV1000 Portal seems a chap with an SV1000 also experimented with this idea, and reports good results.....
Old 08-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Thanks for posting that! Makes me feel good knowing that others (a V-Twin to boot) have tried the X-Wing with good results. It would be great to contact that guy and see what he did to mount his X-Wing.

Man, I can't wait to get on that dyno! I was told that if I just walked in wanting to use thier dyno, it is $300 for 3 hours. Ouch!
Old 08-16-2014, 12:57 PM
SuperBike

Yeah, dyno time here in Oz is exorbitant as well.

I'd rather put the $ into my bike.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:12 PM
MotoGP

Aw man, I dont wanna wait 2 weeks!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Oops! Sorry guys. I spaced out on the date. Forgot this was Labor Day weekend. The place that has the dyno is having a huge shindig and I can't get in there.

Dyno time is scheduled for next Saturday (9/6) now.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:29 PM
MotoGP

well, I found a piece of 0.5mm thick sheet metal and decided it was time to give this thing a go..... So, armed with hand tools, I set about reproducing as closely as possible this particular unit:

To hold it in place, I fashioned little tabs (one per side) into the lower extremity of the blades. I then slid these into 4 small slits that I cut into a piece of aluminum pipe (48mm id, 51mm OD, cut to 7mm) I had bought earlier.

It took a bit of work and final filing to get everything to fit together nice and tight inside the HPower stacks. Once in place and mounted, the horizontal blade ends about 1mm short of the slide.

I went for a ride today to test them out and....... Eureka, it works! The best description I can give is that their effect is in inverse proportion to the amount of throttle opening used to accelerate. I find myself now opening the throttle very little to get the engine accelerating (ie. roll on it slowly as opposed to snapping it open). It pulls very cleanly and strongly from low rpm and lightly open throttle. Their effect is non-discernible once the throttle is open more than halfway.

I had to lean the fuel screws a bit (and richen up the F-C screw slightly) and the idle is now better than before. I was having issues with a hanging idle (had to snap the throttle one or twice when coming to a stop to get the idle down) and that has now disappeared. It's early in the process of discovering how these work but so far, it's quite promising and I am happy with the results......

Last edited by mikstr; 09-06-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:39 PM
MotoGP

So what is the overall goal of this thing? Is it more response from low throttle?

No offense but my throttle tube ramp does that in spades without ever digging into the carbs.

If you dont get a more powerful or efficient engine then what is the draw to this device?

Also, if you had a hanging idle, its slighty a not fair test since I dont imagine this thing is meant to fix existing problems (that should be nonexistent in a properly tuned bike).

Again, all kudos to doing this. I am just trying to figure it out.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:06 PM
MotoGP

The main benefit from this device, from what I have found from numerous searches on Google, is that it enhances low-end and mid-range power and response. More specifically, one particular chap (a reputable dealer) who tried it on a dyno found small gains in power when doing full throttle pulls. However, same gent had the ingenious idea of using a throttle block and doing pulls at 1/4 and 1/2 throttle, and in both instances there were SIGNIFICANT gains in torque and power, precisely in the rpm range most sane individuals ride on the street. Mindful of this, I tried a bunch of various things during my ride, and found that my results lined up very well with latter dyno results. My objective in modding my engine and powertrain has always been to prioritize engine response and roll-on power and, in this device, I saw some potential to make gains in those very areas, hence my interest in it. The aspect I find particularly interesting about this particular device (or the one I have fashioned at least)) is the fact that it essentially creates a "two-barrel" carb (if done properly, meaning the horizontal blade must be very close to the slide, thereby sectioning off the venturi into two halves). As we all know, a small carb (and valves, ports,...) is beneficial in that it produces greater intake velocity=cylinder filling=torque. This is great until such time as it chokes the engine, at which time you want greater intake area to feed the engine the air it needs as the revs rise. So, I saw the potential of "having one's cake and eating it", and so far, it seems to deliver just that. In theory, Honda's VTEC variable valve timing (as used on VFR800) is designed to achieve a similar result (albeit by closing off one intake valve until the revs rise)

All else being equal, it may lead to mileage improvement too as the engine should be more powerful at small throttle openings, resulting in needing less throttle (and thus less fuel) at any given speed (when travelling down the highway). This is hardly a priority for me, but if it happens, all the better.

so, my quest for knowledge and understanding has been met, and I have seemingly found a device which will also give me better low-end and mid-range response, which is precisely one of the main reasons I bought the VTR in the first place. Finally, there was no "tearing into the carbs"; I made it (took me a few hours) and slipped it into the stacks (only thing needed was removing the airbox lid). In under 10 minutes, I can have them out, move my fuel screws back, and be on my way as if they were never there....... if it weren't for human curiosity, we'd still be grunting around in caves........

Last edited by mikstr; 09-06-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Congrats Micky! I give you credit for actually making the X-Wing. We went two different routes with regard to the design (how it attaches), but it still works just the same. I honestly never installed mine and then ran the bike. They have just been sitting on a shelf untill dyno time, like my F.I.L. (Filter In Lid) mod was for many months, untill I got the urge to try it out.

Sorry guys, but the dyno day for the X-Wing was postponed. I am building a garage for the guy that is letting me use the dyno, so I was busy with that instead. I am not going to post a date that I'm going to the dyno, because something always seems to happen.
I'm shooting for dyno time next Saturday, but I am going to Georgia tomorrow and am not sure if I'm coming back home Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Work has really been getting in the way with motorcycle fun stuff lately.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 09-07-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: I wanted to whiten my teeth, but said F' that, I'll get a tan instead.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:00 AM
MotoGP

Thanks! It's great to try stuff out, especially when it works. I am pleased to see your airbox testing is coming along nicely......

cheers
Old 09-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mikstr
Thanks! It's great to try stuff out, especially when it works. I am pleased to see your airbox testing is coming along nicely......

cheers
I am VERY pleased to hear that it works. I'm glad you gave 'er a shot.

Yes, the testing is coming along. I want to get my F.I.L. mod dialed in, then install the X-Wing and see what difference it makes. I can't wait now!
Old 09-07-2014, 01:00 PM
MotoGP

Just got in from another ride (about 140 km, or 85 miles) and I am liking this X-wing device more and more. It has beefed up the low-end and mids in a significant way; just a gentle roll-on of the throttle (granted, I have an HRC 1/6 turn tube) and the bike vaults ahead. I also noticed it has smoothed out the engine at cruising speed (@4500 rpm) too.

No downsides so far......

BTW, I will be taking them out likely later this week to do some final finishing touches (seeing as how they'll be staying in) and will snap some pics then......

Last edited by mikstr; 09-07-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:20 AM
SuperBike

Great news, so it seems that the x- wing is a goer?

If you get a chance can you post dimensions?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:01 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Just got in from another ride (about 140 km, or 85 miles) and I am liking this X-wing device more and more. It has beefed up the low-end and mids in a significant way; just a gentle roll-on of the throttle (granted, I have an HRC 1/6 turn tube) and the bike vaults ahead. I also noticed it has smoothed out the engine at cruising speed (@4500 rpm) too.

No downsides so far......

BTW, I will be taking them out likely later this week to do some final finishing touches (seeing as how they'll be staying in) and will snap some pics then......
Soooooo, any photos yet?

Quick Reply: Boyesen X-Wing?