Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Boyesen X-Wing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 05:41 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Boyesen X-Wing?

Take a look: POWER X-WING (V-TWIN)

In looking through their offerings, they make one in 48mm size: POWER X-WING

Thoughts? Comments?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:00 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Someone do some before and after dyno testing...
Old 01-25-2014, 05:24 AM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
sounds ok by theory
but their not bolt on for our carbs, and when you realize that you need 2 and its 260 dollar then no thank you
Old 01-25-2014, 06:46 AM
MotoGP

I found a set of two on ebay for 180$ (set for Ski-Doo 600 SDI engine, also 48mm)..... it may not be a simple bolt-on, but it could be worth the effort to make it work.... besides, were it not for some thinking outside the box and getting their hands dirty, we wouldn't have stick coils, USD forks, braced swingarms,...

Last edited by mikstr; 01-25-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:33 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Almost seems like you could make one on your own, unless the particular shape of the fin is extremely important or fine tuned. They show a picture of a CV carb on the top of the page, but I wonder if having a plate across the middle of the intake would cause problems with this (as it seems like you may be causing it to draw more air over one side of the X)

On that note, I wonder if you could use the same principal but with only one or two fins running vertically instead of two making an x... speculation here of course. If my idea works I'm calling it the POWER TIE FIGHTER.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
, I wonder if you could use the same principal but with only one or two fins running vertically instead of two making an x... speculation here of course. If my idea works I'm calling it the POWER TIE FIGHTER.
MAY THE FLOATS BE WITH YOU!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Squid
Squid

Ons'Ro is on a distinguished road
My experience, with this product, has been with Harleys and yes they do work. I have worked at two shops that had dynos, one being a dealer and they always showed an improvement in power.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:47 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Where was the improvement? Top end? midrange? low end?

Was it a hp curve improvement or torque curve?

Do you happen to remember the percentage of increase?

James
Old 02-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Squid
Squid

Ons'Ro is on a distinguished road
I saw improvement across rpm range. It was an improvement to both. Remember these were H-D bikes already set up for torque. One bike was all but stock. It was a standard high flow filter and air box, re-jet and exhaust. It saw the greatest improvement. The others were well hopped up and only showed minor improvements. So as far as percentages, I think it all depends on the application. The more stock the engine the greater the percentage.No guarantee of 5% increase on all bikes in any state of tune, but I don't think it would ever hurt power.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:58 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
There was a product just like this years ago. Called the cyclone or something.

It vortexes the air so it travels faster and more efficiently. They would spin a soda bottle to vortex and show how much faster it flowed.

Sound physics it seems, but yeah, it just creates spiral flow. Seems pricey for what it is. At the very least, you could buy it and make your own or mold it. (then sell it cheap to fellow hawkers)
Old 02-12-2014, 01:24 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
One person to talk to would be 8541Hawk. He would be able to tell us if it's good or not to put these buggers in the airbox. I think he might say, with our bikes anyways, that it's not a good idea to put anything inside the airbox.

However, this X-Wing looks VERY easy to make. It would be interesting to use my Veypor gauge and test before and after. Maybe I will get around to it this coming riding season and see what happens
Old 02-12-2014, 01:49 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I recently did the air filter retainer and lip mod and felt an improvement.

If these things delivered like that I would be happy.

Who will be the guinea pig?
Old 02-12-2014, 02:17 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

You know, to me, there are quite a few things on thier website that just doesn't sound quite right.

I mean, for instance, is this true?
the incoming air becomes less turbulent, the molecules are calmed down and take up less volume. Therefore they come closer together, producing a denser charge
This just doesn't sound right. To make a denser charge, you would need the air to be either colder than ambient temperature, or compressed, or both...right? I'll have to have a look into it tomorrow, for I am not to sharp at the moment (can't sleep and poured me a few Glenlivet 18... )

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 02-12-2014 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Spehlyng
Old 02-12-2014, 05:44 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
I guess the molecules become more social and friendly and coddle together before they go and mate with the gas molecules...... yea, I can see that happening... What????
Old 02-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

So...I got bored today and drew up the templates for one of these fellas. Puttin' the wheel to steel tomorrow. Pictures to follow.

Why? Well, after doing the F.I.L. mod, I was looking at something to straighten out the airflow post filter anyways, and these look like they could fit the bill.

While I'm making the base of this, I can raise the velocity stacks if I wanted to. The question is, should I? And if I did, by how much?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:09 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't... my thinking is that if them being taller was a good thing Honda would have made them so. The billet Dr Honda ones are actually a bit shorter than the "tall" stock stack.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

No kidding? I always thought the Dr. Honda stacks were taller for some reason. Honestly, that was the only reason I asked the question. Never mind then.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:19 AM
SuperBike

Whatching this with much interest.

I wonder if the X-Wing will live up to its hype.

I was around in the 70's when boost bottles on our 2 Strokes were all the go, so pardon my cynicism!

They did jack you know what, and I have a feeling these may be the same.

Still, you never know.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:21 AM
MotoGP

While I can understand your cynicism, this has NOTHING to do, or is in any way similar to boost bottles.... why not compare it to the short-lived Honda ATAC chamber while we're at it? Or maybe the Hondamatic transmission...... see, NO link or connection.........

Rant over......
Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Taller velocity stacks typically help low end power (if I remember correctly). Shorter velocity stacks help peak horsepower.

I used to dyno test this kind of stuff, but I think I've forgotten more than I remember...

I remember dyno testing Cannondale ATVs and the short velocity stack swap in the airbox added 2hp on the dyno. It was consistent, and a proven peak horsepower gain.

James
Old 02-14-2014, 08:10 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by thedeatons
Taller velocity stacks typically help low end power (if I remember correctly). Shorter velocity stacks help peak horsepower.
Bingo (all else being equal, of course)
Old 02-14-2014, 10:54 AM
SuperBike

So what would (will) these help with?

Would it be outright increase in power? torque? fuel economy?

Will they be a benefit across the whole rev range, or only offer a benefit across a limited rev range like when you alter velocity stacks.

I'm confused and curious at the same time.

If they offer benefits that are multiple I could be tempted.

My reference to boost bottles is that there claims in my experience were hollow, and I wonder if the same applies?

Hard data such as Dyno runs under a wide range of conditions would help to make my mind up about these additions.

I have read many posts on many forums about how sensitive our bikes are to intake modifications and taking into account that many people are on these forums with way more knowledge than me, have and are playing with their intake systems right now trying to increase velocity, smooth out air flow pre and post filter and all sorts of other things that I won't even pretend to understand and taking into account that our bikes have been around a long time why haven't I heard about these before.

Please don't misunderstand me, of course I hope they work and improve my bike for the better at minimal cost, however I have over the years witnessed and experienced a lot of products that Automotive and Cycle companies have promoted as ground breaking, only to see them disappear and be replaced by the next big thing.

I'm confused to say the least and am looking forward to someone fitting them to their bike and letting us know what happens, and what changes were made to get a result.

Like I said, watching with interest, and hoping that they work! Not the other way around.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

So, I did make thise templates a while back. Turns out the velocity stacks are a bit more complicated than one would think. The taper isn't exactly a straight line. I want the edge of my CruX-Wing patent pending to be tight up against the wall of the velocity stack from the top to the bottom.

I finally got some time to redo the templates. Both stacks are completely different. I have decided not to attach the X-Wing underneath the velocity stack. It will be attached TO the velocity stack. More pictures to come.

Name:  20140225_170346.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  161.4 KB

Showing the taper.
Name:  20140225_170517.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  101.8 KB

I'm fortunate to have a spare set of carbs and airbox to play with. Makes things a crap load easier. You'll see why I got a good deal on these carbs in a following picture.
Name:  20140225_170756.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  107.6 KB

Just test fitting them.
Name:  20140225_174340.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  94.2 KB

Here is a straight on shot. If you look close, you can see the carb slide is breaking apart. That's why I got 'em cheap. Got nice used slide lined up from a local member. Anyways, here's the picture.
Name:  20140225_174419.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  146.0 KB
Old 02-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Squid

TAMPAHAWK68 is on a distinguished road
All those things do is atomize the fuel for more efficient combustion, roughing up your intake ports a little will accomplish the same thing.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Here is the way I was thinking about attaching it. There will be a tab on both sides. After holding it in my hand, it works, but just doesn't look nice. If I'm going this far, may as well make it look nice as well. I'll make it so the tab flows well. More of an "S" shape starting from the top of the X-Wing.

The X-Wing is for the most part friction fit into the velocity stacks. The bottom of the X-Wing is 1/16" above the carb slide. If something was to fail with this design, it cannot be sucked into the engine. If a part of the X-Wing was to be sucked into the engine, then you crashed and have other things to worry about haha

Name:  20140225_211845.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  90.7 KB
Old 02-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Micky, I just noticed that you have billet aluminum velocity stacks. How were you thinking of fitting yours if you were to pick up a set from Boyesen? Looking at the Dr. Honda stacks, I have a couple ideas if you're interested.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:39 AM
SuperBike

I hope this works.

I am very interested in this.

I have had some head work done, but the ports on the head were pretty good.

In the old 2 stroke days we used to try and enlarge and smooth the ports.

Seams that on the inlet side of a 4 stroke that this is not ideal.

Maybe these things will help to increase the charge by speeding things up a bit.

Is that what they are all about?

Would love to see some Dyno of before and after.

As we say here in Oz" Good on ya for having a go"

Maybe you are like me and have run out of things to do to your bike, and how good would it be if these things actually work.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:50 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Micky, I just noticed that you have billet aluminum velocity stacks. How were you thinking of fitting yours if you were to pick up a set from Boyesen? Looking at the Dr. Honda stacks, I have a couple ideas if you're interested.
project is dormant for now (have other things on the go at the moment)...... feel free to share your ideas, however
Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TAMPAHAWK68
All those things do is atomize the fuel for more efficient combustion, roughing up your intake ports a little will accomplish the same thing.
+1. This is old school technology to me. In my 2 stroke world, we used things like this in the late 90's early 2000. Evolotion has brought us to drop these wing type designs in the intakes.

However, not to be just a sour puss, I've heard of truckers using wing type deffuser in their diesel powered rigs and getting better gas milage out of them.

There's a thought. Convert the Hawk into a diesel, and, get better gas milage out of those puny gas tanks we have... I smell OCMD
Old 02-26-2014, 08:28 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I think this is the product I remember back in the day for the same purpose. I think the x wing just didnt want to copy it directly.

Vortec Cyclone - Save Gas, Boost Horsepower

And this

and this other one

Cyclone X again

The tech seem sound, its just that auto airboxes have more room to install it (it seems). I hope it works since I always wanted one back then, but had a cbr (4 needed).

Now maybe I can do it with only 2 intakes

Quick Reply: Boyesen X-Wing?