Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Best tires for a SuperHawk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
I doubt if you can buy a bad tire from the major manufacturers. Often we get a tire that is way too soft for the intended use. A street compound will due fine even at the track. In the 11 years of doing track days, I can't say I've had a bad tire. As I progressed in corner speed, I went to softer tires. I also have a FJR sport tourer with long life tires and they perform extremely well. One has to be realistic as to what kind of tire they really need.
My Power One's are fantastic at the track but they would be a waste on the street.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:30 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
What I've learned from the track, and what even applies to street use is to get a tire that you can trust. Confidence in your tires is a mental thing that allows you to push your limits or handle situations. Truth is that most any tires are going to handle what you ask them to do, but if you don't trust them, you won't even bother asking them to handle it, huh?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:43 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
I just got a decent deal on the rear tire, I got another q2 rear (waiting on it to show up holliday and all) went to the local Harley shop (go figure ) and they said install and out the door $201. sure made the local honda place look like crap @thier $250. price.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:26 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wsharpman
I just got a decent deal on the rear tire, I got another q2 rear (waiting on it to show up holliday and all) went to the local Harley shop (go figure ) and they said install and out the door $201. sure made the local honda place look like crap @thier $250. price.
I think you made the right choice relative to the Q2s. When i wear out the power pures, that's what i'll be getting.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/gall...Test_Aug10.pdf
Old 09-06-2011, 05:09 AM
SuperBike

Be careful...it'll probably sound louder now!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 AM
haha yeah
Squid

intoxxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by usaabn
diabo rosso's I like them LOTS......

usaabn
I looked at and almost bought the Diablo Rosso Corsa, but local shops with a good reputation know whats best for their roads..
he sold me on a 5CL Battlax BT016s.. he mentioned his fellow rider tried the rossos and liked the battleax better... for our roads atleast.

lets see how this 3 compound tire holds up for me and my aggressiveness.
reading about the technology behind the spiral belt, i felt solid messing around for 30miles, just breaking it in
Old 09-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Squid
Squid

mootsmadness is on a distinguished road
I have been running Continental Road Attack tires and love them. Open kimono, I have moved through a few seasons of my life and am no longer a ricky roadracer but live in and ride the ride in the coastal mountains between SanFran and Santa Cruz and there are no chicken strips on my tires. The Conti's stick like glue and I have been averaging around 7K on the rear tire. Much of my riding is commuting but for me that means Highway 1 to SF and fast curvy freeways - not a track, but not a flat. Never raced on it though so no idea what it is like at 10/10ths.

Anyway, not a fanatic so ride what you like, just thought you might like to know there is a great tire (very intuitive - it just seems to go where you look) that gets great mileage in case you are not Valentino and hate changing tires every couple of months - I did 22K last year so that meant a lot to me.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:07 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by intoxxx
I looked at and almost bought the Diablo Rosso Corsa, but local shops with a good reputation know whats best for their roads..
he sold me on a 5CL Battlax BT016s.. he mentioned his fellow rider tried the rossos and liked the battleax better... for our roads atleast.

reading about the technology behind the spiral belt, i felt solid messing around for 30miles, just breaking it in
bridgestones are sticky and wear quickly(4-5000mi range). If i lived in hot, straight road land, I believe I'd be trying the pilot road 3 for decent stick and better mileage.

Originally Posted by mootsmadness
I have been running Continental Road Attack tires and love them. Open kimono, I have moved through a few seasons of my life and am no longer a ricky roadracer but live in and ride the ride in the coastal mountains between SanFran and Santa Cruz and there are no chicken strips on my tires. The Conti's stick like glue and I have been averaging around 7K on the rear tire. Much of my riding is commuting but for me that means Highway 1 to SF and fast curvy freeways - not a track, but not a flat. Never raced on it though so no idea what it is like at 10/10ths.

Anyway, not a fanatic so ride what you like, just thought you might like to know there is a great tire (very intuitive - it just seems to go where you look) that gets great mileage in case you are not Valentino and hate changing tires every couple of months - I did 22K last year so that meant a lot to me.
you are lucky to have such great twisties en route, esp when chips are snacking.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Squid
Squid

mootsmadness is on a distinguished road
By the way, seaking of mult-compound front tires. I tried a SportAttack on the front, which was apparently multi-compound and did not like the way it handled towards the end of life. The hard compound did not wear as fast as the sides and it got pretty squirrely going into corners. Not saying they are bad, just that they can exhibit interesting wear.

And yes, I am more than lucky to have these roads (I am a former flatlander from Indiana) so if any of you are ever out here get in touch, I'd be happy to show you around!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:27 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mootsmadness
By the way, seaking of mult-compound front tires. I tried a SportAttack on the front, which was apparently multi-compound and did not like the way it handled towards the end of life. The hard compound did not wear as fast as the sides and it got pretty squirrely going into corners. Not saying they are bad, just that they can exhibit interesting wear.

And yes, I am more than lucky to have these roads (I am a former flatlander from Indiana) so if any of you are ever out here get in touch, I'd be happy to show you around!
I spent 20 yrs long haul semi and was out there alot. Had my bike out there for laguna and rode from bakersfield to monterey and rt 1 to LA and back. What a hoot. awesome!

My front tires usually end up crowned in the middle with flatter profile on the sides which makes dropping into turns an exercise in control.

Thanks for the invite and same goes if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:57 PM
haha yeah
Squid

Originally Posted by nath981
My front tires usually end up crowned in the middle
i did that to diablos that were one compound.. couldnt imagine using dual compound in the front.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:50 PM
GRU
Squid

GRU is on a distinguished road
Im a Conti fan, good price and good mileage, but I think Torque has a lot to do with rear tire life. Had a Guzzi Le mans 1100, and I swear I could see tire tread comming off in the rear view mirror.........no rely, my 4 cylinder high HP moderate torque bikes always get more rear tire mileage than my 2 cylinder high torque bikes.

My $ .02
Old 09-19-2011, 06:01 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
I don't no if the 2001 Superhawk truly qualifies for a comparison on tires.
Before i took the bike to GMDcomputrack and had the forks, rear shock and what Ken called adjustments done.
I did put Metzeler M3s on the bike, and got around 3,500 to 4000 miles between tire changes.. Before the work was done.
After the hands were put on the bike.. Now-the bike is running with B.Axe 016s and got 5,860 mile the last set...
Now those milages were gotten with/ or without my wife riding. and riding as curvy or curvier roads -than the desired Hwy129...
Old 09-19-2011, 07:40 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

I think you made the right choice relative to the Q2s. When i wear out the power pures, that's what i'll be getting.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/gall...Test_Aug10.pdf

yeah I am lovin these tires so far. have put on about 400 miles so far and they stick really well and so far show very little wear almost no chicken strip as I love leaning , that being said I can still see a few of those little when new wiskers on it so wearing well and held suprisingly good in the wet as well... so far happy with the q2 set. Have to wait and see how the mileage holds out as well as how the front holds out on crowning (hate that). Oh and the old set I had was crap to dangerous on dirt roads (or my driveway) and these are doing great on that so far.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 AM
MotoGP

i did that to diablos that were one compound.. couldnt imagine using dual compound in the front.
seems like that shouldn't happen in fla(i.e., shortage of twisties),esp. if you keep the pressure above 33psi.

Originally Posted by GRU
Im a Conti fan, good price and good mileage, but I think Torque has a lot to do with rear tire life. Had a Guzzi Le mans 1100, and I swear I could see tire tread comming off in the rear view mirror.........no rely, my 4 cylinder high HP moderate torque bikes always get more rear tire mileage than my 2 cylinder high torque bikes.
My $ .02
I don't get real good mileage out of rears likely because I'm running mich pow pures @ 30-32psi. Got 4400 miles out of last set possibly due to the fact that I nullify all decel torque/back pressure with neutral throttle.

yeah I am lovin these tires so far. have put on about 400 miles so far and they stick really well and so far show very little wear almost no chicken strip as I love leaning , that being said I can still see a few of those little when new wiskers on it so wearing well and held suprisingly good in the wet as well... so far happy with the q2 set. Have to wait and see how the mileage holds out as well as how the front holds out on crowning (hate that). Oh and the old set I had was crap to dangerous on dirt roads (or my driveway) and these are doing great on that so far.
you may have read that dunlop recommends 190 on a 5.5 rim. I am using a 190x55 power pure on a 5.5 rim, but unfortunately the profile is too steep, unlike that of the Q2. Consequently, I recommend not doing this with any tire other than the Q2 or similar profile because when you near the edges, it becomes nervous and tends to slide. Also, contrary to the norm, front tire wear is closer to the edges than rear.

I just mounted a 190 Q2 on a friend's cbr600(5.5 rim) and it is significantly better than the 180x55 and even the 190 bto16. He loves this set up.......sticks like glue, increased lean/contact patch, and still has some rubber left at the edges for extra duty.

For those wanting a little better mileage than with a 180, installing the 190x55 Q2 will likely yield more miles based on the larger diameter with the added benefit of larger contact patch without being at the edges. I will be testing this shortly on my next set of Q2s.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:31 AM
SuperBike

.....Also, contrary to the norm, front tire wear is closer to the edges than rear.
Interesting statement Nathan. I don't see that on my tires. at least not if you're referring to chicken strips as a gauge. With my track riding, I'm wearing rears all the way to the edge but fronts tend to still appear unused for a good 1/8 inch or so.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:15 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
Interesting statement Nathan. I don't see that on my tires. at least not if you're referring to chicken strips as a gauge. With my track riding, I'm wearing rears all the way to the edge but fronts tend to still appear unused for a good 1/8 inch or so.
yeah, the previous set of power pures, i.e., 180x55 0n a 5.5 rim, had no chicken strips and the front was about an eighth inch, Coincidentally, this was the closest match front to rear chicken strips I've ever had for street.

I guess the Q2(haven't seen the Pirelli) is unique in terms of its 190 profile because the 190 bto 16 was the same as the 190 Pure I am running now(way steep). Since the Pures are about worn out, I'll be doin the 190 Q2 shortly.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 PM
SuperBike

it seems you're measuring profile of the tire based on comparable wear line front to rear then, yes? I'm not saying right or wrong, just learning. Based on that, I'd want a bit steeper front to match where I'm at on the rear, or a bit flatter profile on the back. No...maybe I'm backwards.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
it seems you're measuring profile of the tire based on comparable wear line front to rear then, yes? I'm not saying right or wrong, just learning. Based on that, I'd want a bit steeper front to match where I'm at on the rear, or a bit flatter profile on the back. No...maybe I'm backwards.
no, not measuring the profile based on comparison, just an observation I've never experienced prior to this. As a general rule, putting a 190 on a 5.5in rim is a no no or at least not the first choice acc to the tire manufacturers; an exception to this is the Dunlop.

The reason I tried the michelin 190x55 on a 5.5 rim was merely a delusional rationalization based largely on my love affair with the power pures. Light weight, lithe, smooth, comfortable, sticky, and lasted 4400miles.

As it translates, the oversize tire is a little nervous when you lean to the steep drop-off point. You can get some traction there, but it's difficult to hold a nice steady line as is the case with a more gradual arc. I have been able to ride the tires, but this is not an exercise for the faint of heart because when you transition, it typically slides out rather quickly which causes little brown marks in your briefs.

No big deal, I learned a lesson like I usually do, the real way. ha
Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

I think I hear what your saying, however I am not so sure a wider rear is so good for leaning but definently better for straight running longevity and thus comuting around but not cornrnering or leaning. Look at some of those wild stretched sportbike customs with the huge rears on them now they would definently take you on a straight however I would tend to believe you would eat them up (easily) on the twisties. thus my oppinion would also seem to be verified by the fact that you don't see these setup poser bikes running on any race tracks other than a drag possibly. JMO
Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 PM
haha yeah
Squid

[QUOTE=nath981;314418]seems like that shouldn't happen in fla(i.e., shortage of twisties),esp. if you keep the pressure above 33psi.

i find my back streets, and every 90° turn at stop signs or red lights is at full throttle

and check tire pressure every few times i gas up. roads are rougher than other northern smooth tar pavement. you dont ever want sand on a smoother road surface..

thinking about it.. just tonight, i drifted my new rear wheel on a main road passing between grandma and ghetto rusted lincoln.had no grip to raise the front, just spun, and drifted it left to right and back again.

comparing, i never felt the single compound rear diablo spin. i just burnt that tire down quick

corners havent been a noticeable issue since i put on the battle axe 016, they have good turning grip. but the 90° turns starting from a harder compound to the soft edges, i have felt it slip in transition from middle to edge, until i got to the edge.

tho i havent slid a 90° turn because i havent felt comfortable pushing it with the mid compound, like i did when passing.

i avoid the tribulations

perhaps i will get a wider rear next time around. 190? 200?
and i dont think i will ever go dual compound on the front. ill stick to a diablo mono compound till someone forces me to testride something else. hasnt let me down yet. im on a 2 front:3 rear ratio replacement
Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Squid

RobtheDrummer is on a distinguished road
I just had a brand new Q2 installed at my local Honda dealer for a total of $190. The Q2 is really a confidence inspiring tire, I dig em.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I run bridgestone bt021s and they are some of the best tires gripwise in the cold and wet (which is where I would need it). I disagree with not noticing unless you are at the margin. The basic profile of a tire does alot for feel at even slow speeds.

The bt's are nice & round in profile so slower turn in and more stable. All 3 of my racebikes have only dunlops; very triangular and twitchy til full lean then rock solid and easy to change lines. I just dont need that on the street.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Sanely riding since 1975!
Squid

Travelinguy1960 is on a distinguished road
Pilot Pure's are now my favorite by far.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:41 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Cafe Racer is on a distinguished road
Hmmmmm...? A topic with longevity. Check out my vid.

Dunlop D616 - YouTube

Dunlop D616 on my VTR

Miguel
Old 10-07-2011, 02:11 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Cafe Racer is on a distinguished road

The 016 tires are very good. I recently put them on the track and they were confidence inspiring. I ran with an 003 on the front. But the next time I will go with an 003 on the rear too.

Miguel
Attached Thumbnails Best tires for a SuperHawk?-2011-07-02-15.01.43.jpg   Best tires for a SuperHawk?-2011-07-02-22.25.25.jpg  
Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Iron Rocket
Squid

Twin Kat is on a distinguished road
Anybody ever try the CONTINENTAL MOTION tires? Need a new rear tire. I have Conti Motion on the front.
The reviews seem really good. Dennis Kirk - Rear Conti Motion 180/55ZR-17 Blackwall Tire customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Last edited by Twin Kat; 03-07-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:21 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
TK! You still have the Hawk? We should get together for a ride this year.

I'm replying to give you my opinion..(which may or may not mean squat here), I've run this tire Z6 twice. I get about 8k with very good grip (10k on fronts). The Conti I had on when I bought my vtr wore out in less than 4k. Of course it was an Attack.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Iron Rocket
Squid

Twin Kat is on a distinguished road
Hey 97!! Yep, still have the Hawk!! Getting ready to put in the shop for some work. Needs both sprockets,chain,rear tire and i have no clutch pressure in the handle. Gotta get it up and running. I joined a Sportbike Club in Hanover about a year an half ago...Iron Rockets. Amazing group of guys who bender over backwords to help each other out. Here is our website...HOME. We are a Nation wide group. Definatley hit me up for a ride!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Squid

young996 is on a distinguished road
I ride a set of continental ss, They hold well in cooler weather got about 1800 miles on them so far.

Quick Reply: Best tires for a SuperHawk?