Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Best tires for a SuperHawk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Les
Squid

Les
Best tires for a SuperHawk?

Is there a concensus on replacement tires for the Super Hawk? I recently purchased a pair of Michelin Pilot Roads but haven't installed them yet.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Pilot Roads? Are those the Pilot Powers?

I've tried Metzeler Sportecs M1 and Pirelli Diablo Corsa for the Superhawk. The Sportecs handled well, but under track-conditions they do not last. With moderate track and canyon use, along with commuting, my M1s did not last more than 3k miles.

The Diablo Corsa handled much better than the M1s. Under extended track-use, they lasted quite awhile.

If you do a bit of track-riding, the Pilot Powers and Diablo Corsas are great choices. For commuting and some canyon-carving, I'd suggest the Pirelli Diablo.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:39 AM
Back Marker

oicdn
Sport rider just did a comparo on all the street tires. Best rated were Diablos and Pilot Powers. Saying both were hardly worn after the track twisties and provided great feedback and traction. I'm a diablo fanatic, but I'm thinking of giving the Pilots a try since they seemed to have less wear from the track. Also, I swear by Michclin tires on my bicycles, lol.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Les
Squid

Les
Re: Best tires for a SuperHawk?

The Pilot Roads are designed for longer tread life than the Pilot Sports and aren't as "sport" oriented meaning they have a slightly harder tread compound. I think they are a better choice for general road riding since I don't push my bike that hard. The Pilot Sport is for road riding with occasional track day.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:45 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Bridgestone Battlax BT-10 and BT-14 are really nice too
Old 01-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Les
Squid

Les

I ask the tire question because I read in one of the magazines that Honda claims the suspension is tuned for the D205s the bike comes with and changing the tires could upset it quite a bit. I looked for the D205s but can't find any.

I had the Bridgestone Battlax tires on my SV650 and they were awesome!
Old 01-24-2006, 01:04 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Les";p=&quot
Is there a concensus on replacement tires for the Super Hawk? .
No.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:55 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Run what you know works well. In Keith Code's book, he says that most sportbike tires are designed by the elite riders, and are thus far overdesigned for the average joe rocket rider. You may pick up little nuances here and there that you like about a certain tire, but for the most part, it's about traction and tread life. I'm old-school and I like Dragons, but I've heard good things about Pilot Powers. I just don't feel like it's required to spend an assload of money on something you can't fully utilize.

out
Old 01-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Back Marker

Utah996
I'm sticking with my Dunlops 208ZR's
Old 01-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
I dunno...I had D207's on my R6 as stockers(haven't had the chance to really try any twisties on the Hawk, but the 204's are really making me nervous to begin with, lol)....I've done some pretty decent curves, and noticed the tires starting to give way and slip...took the same road/turn on Diablo's, at an even higher speed, and they didn't budge at all...So I can't imagine the D207s under somebody who's a better rider than me even sufficing...

So I'de have to disagree with Kieth on that one...regardless of how knowledgeable he is...
Old 01-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
In Keith Code's book, he says that most sportbike tires are designed by the elite riders, and are thus far overdesigned for the average joe rocket rider. You may pick up little nuances here and there that you like about a certain tire, but for the most part, it's about traction and tread life. I just don't feel like it's required to spend an assload of money on something you can't fully utilize.
out
So if I spend $2500 on a new set of golf clubs they won't improve my game by like 10 strokes??? um, I think you may be on to something here.....Now put those clubs in Tiger's hands, and they might make a difference.... 8)

I would agree with Loco to a certain extent.....then again what the hell do I know, I only have 1800 miles under my belt....
Old 01-24-2006, 06:18 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes but if you spend $10 on a set of clubs...well you get what you pay for. I know this is a worn out subject but tires come down to personal taste riding style and how they'll be used. If your just doing some sport touring then a sport touring tire, (d220, pilot road, etc.) will be fine. If your going to the gap or doing a track day then those are not a good idea. Stick to something like a 208 or the new qualifier or the bridgestone bt014 is a nice tire. All high end tires are well made but each has it's own characteristics from thier shape, (pointy or more rounded), but as far as it messing up the bike don't pay attention to the hype.

BTW I have some trackday take off bt014's. I'll take $75 for the pair used 2 track days and maybe 500 miles on the road.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

LOL, I spent $245.00 on my set, and I still shoot errr um 90ish er ah, on a good day....but I drink a lot while playing so that kind of balances things out....

As for tires, I have no idea....I ride my bike, I dont' do the track thing, I am working on the twisties, (nothing to write home about at this point) so I would like to replace my stock tires with something that will stick, but last as well....?? Sounds like the Pilots will do that....
Old 01-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk

I had d207s on my shawk when I got it, they were great except they did'nt last. I have 208s now and they stick as good but last a bit longer. but they take a while to warm up.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:45 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cliffhangerstx";p=&quot
LOL, I spent $245.00 on my set, and I still shoot errr um 90ish er ah, on a good day....but I drink a lot while playing so that kind of balances things out....

As for tires, I have no idea....I ride my bike, I dont' do the track thing, I am working on the twisties, (nothing to write home about at this point) so I would like to replace my stock tires with something that will stick, but last as well....?? Sounds like the Pilots will do that....
I spent $350 on custom clubs,(I'm a short bastard), went out after some practice shot an 84 thought I had turned a corner. Now I'm back to shooting low 90's...Oh well. practice practice
Old 01-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

I could shoot in the 80's.....Let's see I get the standard 8 mulagins on the front and 8 on the back 9 as well, We call it in if I come within 3 feet of the hole....and I wouldnt' be allowed to down 9 beers before the end of the front 9.....then maybe just maybe I would have a chance....LOL
Old 01-24-2006, 07:40 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
The best wood in my bag is the #2 pencil.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:45 PM
MotoGP

Good one, my problem isn't the long clubs. I can hit you a 325 yard tee shot straight down the throat and the proceed to chunk and flub it to the green for another double bogey! I had a chance for a double eagle on a short par 5 and ended up with a bogey once!! AARRRGGG!!! That's why I love golf.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Thank you sir, may I have anotha......beer...

#2 Pencil, that is great....I must agree...nice piece of wood....and it's by far the cheapest wood....lol...
Old 01-24-2006, 10:21 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Yes but if you spend $10 on a set of clubs...well you get what you pay for.
Yeah, that's the other end of the spectrum!

But isn't that true of just about anything? If you spend the absolute least amount of money on an item (If Wal-Mart had their own brand of tire, for example) obviously you'd pick up on the lack of quality. It's being able to really notice the difference on the other end of the spectrum, that's why this topic was started.

Sorry for the interruption Cliffhanger
Old 01-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Boom!!! Someone finally shot that rabbit......We got off topic.....lol
Old 01-29-2006, 09:19 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
My SH had D204s on it new. Slid around on those for a few months(read: sux). Switched to D207s.
Again, slid around for a few months(read:sux). Switched to Pirelli Dragon Corsa(med). Awsome tires. A little pricey but I'm worth it. Then after a few sets of the Corsa(s), I got a free set of Conti-Force Max. Good grip and milage. Still going strong. I will try the Diablo(s) next. Nice to see someone can stay on topic. LOL
Old 02-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a set of Michelin Pilot Roads on my SuperHawk.
The tread life was exceptional.
I currently have Pilot Roads on my CBR 1000F and the rear is still going strong past 5000 miles. The fornt was gone at about 4500. And that is with lots of two-up hard riding at Tail of the Dragon, etc. Solo on the CBR, pushed hard and they begin to get scary. The back tire will spin up easy and will cause your butthole to pucker real tight. I've never high-sided and have learned to be discrete with the throttle as I have no desire to experience my first high-side.
Anyways......
On the SH the tires were great until I tried to use them as pure sport tires. At that point their sport-touring desgn began to show through. I had several occasions of "unannounced" slip of both the front and rear tires. Hard turns, hangin' off, draggin' a knee and BOOM the front end would slide a foot or so. NOT FUN!
I switched to Pilot Powers and LOVE them. They are great. Very predictable, very sticky and good tread life. I do most of my hard riding at The Dragon and spend most of the time in second gear, sometimes third. The back tire can be spun in a controled manner. Never once had it go crazy and threaten a high-side.

If you are not inclined to be really pushing them, I'd go with the Pilot Roads. They are good tires that will last a long time and give good performance up to about 75-80% of max riding.

If you know you are going to be pushing them hard, I'd get the Pilot Powers. I plan to buy a new set soon as I am signed up for a May track day at Barber.

That's my $.02.

OBTW - Best price I have found = Southwest moto tire (google it)
Dennis Kirk will beat SWMT price by $1 per tire, so that's where I have bought mine.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Les
Squid

Les

Where is Tale of the Dragon?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point

US Hiway 129 - North Carolina / Tennessee border, just north of Robbinsville NC.

www.tailofthedragon.com
www.killboy.com (look at archives -bottom of page- summer months)
www.dealsgap.com
Old 02-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
Pilot Powers for sure on any bike.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:06 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
The new Dunlop qualifier tires are better than the Pilot powers. They are available right now and they are only like 10$ more than the 208s. I read a couple mag articles and they said they have the same traction as the michelin pilot RACE. That's insane. They also said they shaved a couple seconds off the pilot powers on a 1.65 mile race track. They wear pretty good too. They wil probably be my next tire.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Les
Squid

Les

I mounted the Pilot Roads and have about 200 miles on them now. The bike handles great like it always did. The bike is very neutral in the corners meaning once I get it leaned over it stays that way until I input something. With the worn out tires I had to hold it into a corner. I notice a LOT more road noise from these tires when compared to the Dunlops.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Squid

AresR6
The only tires I run on my bike area Pirelli Diablo Corsa's. I have ridden on M1s, Powers, Roads, D208s, M3s, and the new Qualifiers. My personal preference just happens to be the Corsa's. I like how they feel, they are sticky, I get decent life out of them, and they have never let me down once. I can't complain. I'll spend the money for a quality tire personally.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Squid

GoBlu

I am not a fan of Dunlops. When the front tire wears, you can feel the front end bouncing. The tire cups worse than any other tire I have used. I thought I was going to lose it at the Gap last year on several turns. A friend let me use some Pilot take offs. It was like a different bike, it felt like someone had given me a 51 instead of the hawk.

My thoughts are: I would rather ride bald Corsas, Michilens, or Metzlers, than put a new set of Dunlops on my ride...

Quick Reply: Best tires for a SuperHawk?