Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Anyone install an A/F gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Anyone install an A/F gauge?

Curious if anyone on here has installed an air/fuel mixture gauge? Would certainly make tuning easier.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Go with a wideband. A basic af guage is just a light show. Although there was a site I remember seeing years ago where the guy modded them for a few bucks to make them more accurate. But yeah its simple to hook up and shouldn't draw enough juice to hurt anything
Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Curious if anyone had a recommendation.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:21 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I have talked to several guys who haved used the LM2 from innovate motorsports on another bike. Seems like a reliable product and close to affordable but still accurate. I have been thinking of getting one set up to save some dyno time and get a PCIII dialed in on a bmw K bike I have. You can get a lot of info - probably more useful than a gauge since you can download maps that link up throttle position, rpm, acceleration with A/F so you can see where you need to change jetting. Depends on your final goals of course.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php
Old 11-11-2009, 05:58 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Yes, I have had one on my bike for several years now. It's pretty helpful indeed. Mine is narrow band type unit, so it doesn't give you any assistance for the fine tuning, but it does tell if you are grossly off the mark. It was fairly straighforward to install, the biggest issue being installing the O2 sensor in the header. I put mine right after the merge in the area under the rider's right foot.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Do a search on the internet for JAW (just another wideband) it is a build it yourself unit.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Yes, I have had one on my bike for several years now. It's pretty helpful indeed. Mine is narrow band type unit, so it doesn't give you any assistance for the fine tuning, but it does tell if you are grossly off the mark. It was fairly straighforward to install, the biggest issue being installing the O2 sensor in the header. I put mine right after the merge in the area under the rider's right foot.
Narrow or wide band, the ability to read both cylinders independently IMO is critical. Installing an O2 sensor in each header is necessary (the threaded bosses [bung] and sensors can be bought from numerous auto sources). Simply run the wire from each sensor to a DPST switch mounted where it can be reached while riding, and then toggle back and forth between the cylinders. A data logger is very helpful but not essential. The Innovative unit for $349 appears to fit the bill, you just need to know when you switched reading cylinders. Their "Duo" kit is not necessary though if you get a 2nd sensor & "bung" and use the switch.

Last edited by skokievtr; 11-11-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:30 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
You can buy a single wideband with 3 bungs and two plugs, so you can have the front, rear or both.
I bought the innovate LC-1 from DIY autotune, since I bought the fuel injection ECU there.
They sell it for very little money.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/i...uge-p-153.html

The sensor is about 80 $ and cannot be switched with another since they are calibrated individually because they are not all equal, better move it around to get all your readings. Unless you stop, purge the exhaust with compressed air, hit the calibration switch and then you can use the other sensor.